kernel communication error

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by howardg, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. howardg

howardg Registered Member

Today, I turned on the computer (Vista Home Premium 64-bit) and for the first time since I've been using ESET NOD32 (about 8 months) the Vista boot up process stalls at the ESET splash screen for about 3-5 minutes and then gives the error: "ESET NOD32 Antivirus: Error communicating with kernel." Thereafter the whole system is very unstable, and the network window shows completely blank -- I have no LAN access. I managed to revert to an earlier disk image of two days earlier (using Acronis True Image) and everything seems to be back to normal. What caused this glitch? How do I prevent it from happening again? I have read the other posts and they don't shed any light for me. Thanks.

Howard

2. pain4gain

pain4gain Registered Member

When I come across that issue an uninstall then reinstall will almost always fix it.

No idea what causes it though.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

For some reason, the kernel service is not running. Does reinstalling EAV help?

4. howardg

What is the kernel process? I just checked process explorer and the only thing I could see from ESET was the "egui" process, even though ESET AV is running fine at the moment.

5. howardg

I just checked services.msc and found ESET Service, set to automatic, and ESET HTTP Server, set to manual. Is this the way it is supposed to be?

6. Marcos

Yes. Is ESET Service started? If not, are you able to start it manually?

7. howardg

yes, the eset service is started

8. Marcos

Once the ESET service is started, you should be able to run the GUI (egui.exe) fine.

9. SanDiegan11

SanDiegan11 Registered Member

My NOD 4.0 was downloaded and installed about 5 hours ago. The situation is exactly the same as described by howardg's original post. Except the eset service is not started.

Attempt to uninstall 4.0 (as suggested in some posts to uninstall and reinstall) failed too. NOD32 complained ESET's My Profile need sufficient access to delete the key, whatever that means. (All applications shown in systrays had been closed already.)

I wonder whether I should try to see a restoring point is available to go back to the 3.0

Checked services.msc and found ESET Service, set to automatic, and ESET HTTP Server, set to manual.

Any suggestions?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.