Keriver 1-click Restore

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by timcan, Sep 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

Well CTM has wiped out 1 VM operating System & tried a few other times too but I had a snapshot. Anyway if you have a decent imaging product already why try one that is still under development?

2. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

I can think of 2 reasons:
    First, the discounted price is a a real bargain... (and bellgamin, cannot resist on such offers) :D :p
    Second, it is by far the easiest and most straight forward imaging application.

Panagiotis

3. 2010freesoho

2010freesoho Registered Member

Yes, "restore MBR" is a convenient function when MBR is wounded. We will add this handy function for 1CRP as possible as soon. Thanks for this great advice.

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I *think* Woody777 was referring to CTM, not 1CRP. In other words, why mess with CTM when I already have 1CRP?

If that's what he meant, it's a very good question. My answer -- I did it because --- duhhh :ouch: :blink: o_O :gack: o_O o_O
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

@2010freesoho - how can we know when you issue an update to 1CRP or Keriver Image?

5. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

It would be even better if 1CRP and Keriver 5 could restore the 1st cylinder. A few software write special information beyond the MBR zone and it is necessary to restore them as well.

6. 2010freesoho

We estimated that we will issue an update both 1CRP and Keriver Image at the end of October.

7. bellgamin

Grrrrreat!!!

QUESTION- Is 1CRP basically a "simplified" version of Keriver Image?

8. 2010freesoho

No, we don't plan to make 1CRP to be a "simplified" version of Keriver Image. We hope that 1CRP would be a easy-to-use and powerful operating system restore product. The target clients are those people who need to backup and restore their OS but hate to learn how to use a complex backup software.

9. bellgamin

Good idea. I wish you much success -- it is well deserved.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

By the way, I do a lot of software testing. Before each such test, I make an image with 1CRP because *THE BEST uninstall* is a restored image.

However, I have accumulated over a dozen "snapshots" as well as the initial "baseline" image. Therefore, I want to create a new baseline image -- in other words, I want to start over.

QUESTION 1: Is it OKAY for me to simply delete the baseline image and all snapshots? Will that cause 1CRP to start over? In other words, when I ask 1CRP to make a backup, and then 1CRP sees that there is NO baseline image and no snapshots, will 1CRP simply make a NEW baseline (I hope)?

QUESTION 2: If deleting the baseline image is a BAD idea, how can I get 1CRP to "start over" and make a new baseline?

10. 2010freesoho

Dear bellgamin,
    You can just delete the baseline image and all following snapshots to get 1CRP to start over and make a new baseline.
    And the baseline image and all following snapshots are located in 'Keriver 1-Click Backup Folder'.

11. squid13

squid13 Registered Member

I bought a license for Keriver 1-click restore pro but haven't installed it cause I"m using Windows 7 64 bit and you said it would be a couple of months before you make it 64 bit compatible. Will I be able to use that license key for the 64 bit version?

12. 2010freesoho

Certainly, you can use that license key on 64-bit version of Windows 7.
    Thank you for choosing Keriver product.

13. bellgamin

Should I also delete grubmbr.bak? Or should I only delete the files of type .ego?

14. 2010freesoho

Just delete the files of type .ego.
    By the way, the file grubmbr.bak is a backup of MBR.

15. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I have just stumbled on this thread...very interesting for me since I have recently bought my first image restore program complements of this post > https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=283129

So I am good to go, but not sure how to go!

Also, have read the comments by Pandlouk re FD_ISR amd imaging elsewhere in this thread...

"The main difference is that "FirstDefense-ISR"'s principal function is that is an instant restore/rollback application while "1-Click Restore" is an image application(similar to acronis, paragon, shadowprotect, ImageForWindows, Drivesnapshot, etc.)
    -As Pete usually says ISRs are luxuries while imaging apps are a must have.
    The second difference is that "FirstDefense-ISR" when used as an"imaging/backup" program is file based app (compares the files dates/size between the source and the archive) while "1-Click Restore" is a sector based app (compares the occupied sectors of the partition with the archive).
    For disks with lots of data and files sector based imaging is faster than file based backup. (In Vista and 7 imaging apps are way faster).
    On the other hand FD-ISR gives the ability to exclude files/folders when restoring and in some cases is better (e.g. when you store lots of personal data on your system partition)"

I have relied on FD-ISR for three years without a major disaster.

P.S. I apologize if my post is off topic or I appear to be hijacking this thread. Not intended...;)

Just that threads about imaging are above my head. And when I read them, I get more confused. :blink: :ouch:

16. bellgamin

The link you posted leads to a elapsed deal offer for Image for Windows. IFW is an excellent imaging software. However, IFW is well established whereas 1CRP is just trying to get started in this highly competative market. Despite your newbie-type apologies (?), your number of posts show that you are long past being a newbie in these forums. Therefore, I can't help but wonder what motivated you to "stumble in" and divert everyone's attention to IFW & FDISR. :cautious:

17. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

Hi Bellgamin, I didn't mean to rain on someone's parade. You are right, of course as to me not being new(bie).

The 'stumble' is my way of saying that I find this particlar section of the forums,"backup, imaging & disk mgmt" cumbersome on my understanding, so many variables to factor.

I apologise, if you found my post off-putting.

As to diverting attention, surely that ''horse has bolted''...

- See post #16 > https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1753290&postcount=16

- See post # 18 > https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1753445&postcount=18

...just to mention a few, and that was just on the first page of this thread.

In the meantime I will keep stumbling on....;) :)

18. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi All
    Been reading about the good reports of Keriver 1 Click Restore.

Questions

1) As I understand its function , it just does an image backup to another external hard drive via a recovery console installed on the separate hard drive. Is this correct?

2) Does 1CRP have CD/DVD based Recovery option like say Macrium or Shadow Protect (Just in case the second hard drive gets corrupted)

Thanks

Terry

19. bellgamin

Partly correct. 1CRP will back up to any drive/partition OTHER THAN the system drive/partition.

It will boot from any drive/partition, provided that the drive/partition is active at boot-up time. Thus, for 1CRP to boot from an external drive, the drive must be active at boot time & the bios must initiate a boot-up from that external drive.

The expert on 1CRP is 2010freesoho. He should be along in a day or so to correct me & amplify & illuminate as needed.

In the meantime, why not take 1CRP for a trial run?

20. OldMX

OldMX Registered Member

How does 1CRP manages the hidden 100mb partition of windows 7?

21. 2010freesoho

Hi,
    1CRP doesn't backup the hidden 100mb partition of Windows 7. As a matter of fact, corruption of the hidden 100mb partition is a very rare occurrence. But, if you want to backup both the hidden 100mb partition and the Windows system partition, please try Keriver Image.

Thanks.

22. tyee

tyee Registered Member

Just found out about the special and was going to purchase 1CRP but now website has Image 5.0.

What's the difference between these two applications? Does Image 5.0 do all that 1CRP does?

23. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

True man of words. Said, that he will come out with the x64 Keriver Image x64 and he did!

Best regards,

KOR!

P.S. I have I-Clk and now gonna buy this!

24. tyee

tyee Registered Member

Well I just installed keriver 1-click free to try.

So it uses 2 drives, one to store snapshots (images) and one for other files. Ok, I see I made a mistake in choosing where to put the snapshot. I chose the drive I want the snapshot restored to but there is no where to change this info.

So how do I restore a snapshot to a new drive? It's not under the programs menu. Only "take snapshot", "uninstall", and "visit our website" are there.

I've only used drive snapshot so this seems different. OK, I'm now reading the instructions on the homepage.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  25. tyee

tyee Registered Member

Ok, I went through the manual. Made my snapshot, rebooted and could see the new boot menu, everything starts fine. I get into WinXP, then I shut down. I pull the HD data cable from the bootup drive simulating a HD failure. I reboot with a new eSATA HD attached and go into bios to set it for the boot drive. Bios saved, restart and I don't see the keriver menu come up so I can restore my snapshot to this new drive, all I get is the WinXP boot menu from this new HD which I had put there before.

So...how is this enabling me to restore my boot drive without the keriver restore menu? The menu must be stored on the simulated failed HD.

What next? Ok, I'm thinking. I can only restore when everything is normal and there is no HD failure, correct?? or else I don't get the keriver menu. But that's what's this is for isn't it?

OK now I get it! This app is not for HD Failures, only to restore back to a previous snapshot of your system. I see now.

I guess keriver Image 5.0 is what I need.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.