Kerio vs. Sygate

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by whvrgr1, Jul 19, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whvrgr1

whvrgr1 Guest

I currently have the free version of Kerio (seeing as I can't afford a non-free firewall). How does it compare to the free version of Sygate? Is it a better firewall?

2. notageek

notageek Registered Member

What version of kerio are you using?

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Kerio 2.15 is an excellent firewall, it takes a little expertise to get it set just right. Sygate 5.5 free seems to be a good firewall. I have used both and I think I prefer sygate 5.5. But you should try them for your self and see how they both perform for you. ;)

4. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

I used the older version of Kerio (I think it was 2.15) before deciding to try Sygate's 5.5 because something obscure became corrupt in the Kerio's settings and even with a fresh copy installed, it continued to be corrupt. o_O

Sygate is the least hassle (really, no hassle at all) of any of the free firewalls I've used. It's been at least 3-4 months since I changed over. I also like its backtrace feature; anything seen in the logs can be immediately identified. :cool:

bigc73542 is right about deciding which one is right by seeing which you're most comfortable with (however it was said, exactly). I bet you'll decide on Sygate! :D

5. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

What's this corruption issue? I've used Kerio 2x for years without issues.

If you prefer user-friendly/simple go with Sygate, if your willing to learn, and want something more complex/configurable go for Kerio 2x.

6. John2004

John2004 Guest

Kerio 2x is very good, however, it does suffer from at least one problem. See this link...

http://www.mickeytheman.com/boardnation/Wc6b68755c9123.htm

The question is, is it likely that this problem would ever be exploited while running 2x.

I use Kerio 2x and don't worry about it much. But some may prefer Sygate or another firewall without known issues.

7. BlitzenZeus

I've seen that, and have seen no proof that it still exists in 2.1.5, only speculation...

8. John2004

John2004 Guest

It's been discussed at length in firewall newsgroups and several people have confirmed that it does indeed exist in 2.1.5. I have also seen discussion of it in other forums. As far as I know, it indeed is a vulnerability in 2.1.5. Kerio 4x apparently has fixed this from what people say. But 4x is a whole other story.

Like I mentioned above, it doesn't worry me much. I use 2x here without any problems. So what if the vulnerability exists? The odds that someone would specifically target my machine, then exploit the vulnerability with specially crafted packets, and actually do anything damaging with them, are about a million to one in my opinion.

For all practical purposes, it's not a problem.

Just my 2 cents worth.

9. BlitzenZeus

I've had a conversation about this also with someone under a diferent name, and came the conlusion that it wasn't the exploit that they were actually seeing, it just seemed an easy way to explain/dismiss their configuration issue.

Anyway, its not going to make me worry about anything.

10. John2004

John2004 Guest

Right.. to me it's nothing to worry about. For those who are worried about such things, then they can use another firewall. I thought it worth mentioning, but I continue to use 2.1.5 myself. I find it's benefits far outweigh any possible drawbacks..

Cheers...

11. chew

chew Registered Member

BigC

Any possibilities, with screen shots instruction, on how to set up Sygate firewall? I am new to firewall and I want one on my system.

I also assume it is easy to uninstall just in case it has conflict with me system?

Thank you

Chew:)

12. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

That was creative quoting.;)

The corruption issue I couldn't get around is illustrated in the attached screen shot from when it was installed. It was apparently running on Local Host and Remote Computer at the same time and no re-setting effort changed it. That made it hard to trust it, overall.:doubt: I don't know what it meant...

Attached Files:

13. chew

chew Registered Member

Yes, I need more screen shots on Kerio ... hmmm ... very complex ...

What version is that Jayzzz?

Cheers

Chew

14. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I've been using Kerio 2.15 for years and have never seen a screen like that one!
    If I hadn't seen it, I wouldn't believe it.

How do you do that? :D :cool:

15. BlitzenZeus

You were not running on both at the same time, you assumed as much, and all it possibly did was bring out another window which you would try to connect to a remote system, if you didn't cause it yourself.

Kerio 2x was able to work in a managed environment. If you put a password on the administration/firewall status, and enabled remote administration your IT deparment could manage your configuration remotely while locking out the user.

Yet another misunderstanding/assumption of a feature/how Kerio 2x works. So this had nothing to do with corruption, and just a misunderstanding.

16. whvrgr1

whvrgr1 Guest

I actually use Kerio 4.0.16. Is there a difference between the newer and older versions?

17. BlitzenZeus

Huge difference, 4x is buggy beta software, even if they claim its not beta anymore, and I've nicknamed 4x "ZArio". 2x was small, and powerful. 4x is bloated, GUI heavy, geared towards newbies with a ZA like interface, and still has bugs reported in beta development last time I checked.

They released as full version way before it was ready, and they didn't listen to beta testers. There were issues I reported during beta testing that were not fixed by the first 'final release', and these were seroius issues like components not functioning correctly!

I don't recommend anyone run kerio 4x.

18. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

I did NOT put a password on anything or enable anything remote. I'm sure of that, because I'd not have been as surprised to find it that way if I had been there before to change settings. My computer is in a home environment, w/o an office network. I noticed the apparently conflicting settings while checking around, generally. I was getting BSODs that referred to the Kerio.

Nothing I tried changed the settings, including uninstalling, rebooting & reinstalling a fresh copy of the program more than once. Re-settings didn't "hold." I had someone advising me at that time who was familiar with Kerio, & had recommended it to me over the newer version when I was no longer happy with an older version of Zone Alarm. He had no answers, which was a first.:p

Pehaps it wasn't Kerio that was corrupt, but there's been no further sign of "firewall weirdness" since I removed it the last time and installed Sygate. Of course, now that I've said that...I've tempted the fates!:rolleyes:

19. Rita

Rita Infrequent Poster

hello
    i have never used kerio but i have sygate and i really like it--even i can use and understand it :D

rita

20. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

If I knew how I did it, IF I did it, at all, I probably would've known how to un-do it.:doubt:

If you're teasing about my colour scheme, rather than the settings, you're not the first and are unlikely to be the last to do so. I like looking at red more than most folks do, and it's my own desktop, after all!:cool:

21. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I was just generally teasing. It still amazes me the problems that can crop up on computers.

No harm done I hope. :)

22. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

It was 2.1.5 (Was there a 2.1.4 it might've been? Suddenly am unsure, but it was one or the other). I prefer the Sygate for myself, as Rita said. Whatever I don't understand, I don't seem to need to understand...any other screen shots I may have of the Kerio 'in action' are from when I had questions. I wouldn't recommend them as references for configuration.

Sygate hasn't done anything yet that left me wondering what the heck was going on. It's a nice change in the usual pattern of things. I also like the backtracing that's part of the free version. Previously, I had to use a separate site to get that information.

23. jayzzz

jayzzz Registered Member

Of course not, Ron. I'm often amazed by what can happen when hardware, software, the Internet, and a user are combined. At least the problem was resolved without spending much time being dismayed while being amazed, even if the problem might have been between the keyboard and the chair...and I'm not saying I think it was! ;) Joyce

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.