kerio pre 4.2 versions

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ellison64, Mar 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I notice from the sticky at the new unoffical kerio forum (link given by nicM) that version 4.20 dropped support for 98.As im using 98 and always like to try new/old programmes.....would it be worth trying any pre 4.2 versions that supported 98?.Im currently using 2.15 just for application filtering really as i also use a router.What were pre 4.2 versions like? any comments appreciated
    ellison

2. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

IMHO, Kerio 2.1.5 is a much better firewall than the pre 4.2 versions of Kerio. It runs so much lighter and does practically the same job at packet filtering. If you want more advanced application control, then you could look into System Safety Monitor to supplement your current firewall (it's payware now though), or maybe look into Jetico since it offers more of a HIPS capability for windows 98.

However, you could just keep Kerio 2.1.5 and I would feel perfectly safe. It does a great job.

Alphalutra1

3. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

ok 2.1.5 is much lighter but the 4.2 is more superior as it passes more leaktest and has more features that the 2.1.5.

so why do ppl in this site always recommend 2.1.5.

just coz its lilghter it doesn't mean thats a big advantage in security.:cautious:

4. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

First of all, the original poster asked for pre Kerio 4.2. Secondly, I prefer to have my HIPS separate from my firewall, as do many others. Third, Kerio 4.2 has many features that are served by other apps that do a better job. For example, the web filtering is done better by Proxomitron, the advanced application control and HIPS by Appdefend, SSM, Processguard, Antihook, etc. These mix and match also have less resource usage with more power than Kerio 4.2

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

5. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Thanks for the relpies.After consideration ithink ill give the 4 releases a miss ,but might try SSM again.I tried it a while back but had some issues with it.If it works ok ,im wondering whether it will be worth using the software firewall at all seeing as i have a router anyway?.
    ellison

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I have tried SSM several times -- recently just a week ago. It has never maintained stability on my WinME system. I hope it works for you.

By the way, the application module of Kerio 2.1.5 covers applications if & when they try to connect to the internet. On the other hand, SSM's application firewall maintains vigilence at any & all times when an application runs for any reason -- whether that application is trying to connect or not.

In addition to SSM & Kerio 2.1.5, I suggest you also give Online Armor (OA) a trial. It's a full-fledged HIPS including an application monitor, HOSTS monitor, & much more. Soon OA will add a firewall, plus a version that will have BOTH a firewall AND an Antivirus (Kaspersky) plus the other modules common to HIPS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.