Kerio pfw4 and XP firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by bigbuck, Oct 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

A friend told me he is using the free kerio firewall WITH the XP firewall without any clashes...........does this sound right?
    Is anybody doing likewise?
    If they don't clash I wouldn't mind to try.....

Thanks,
    Buck

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi bigbuck,

Since your question is firewall related, I've moved it into the Other Firewalls Forum where it will get better attention.

I can't help too much with Kerio, but when I first got my XP it was strongly advised to turn its firewall off if planning to use another internal firewall (software firewall) to prevent any conflicts. As far as what running both XP's firewall alongside a software firewall will cause any other security issues, hopefully someone more knowledgeable in firewalls will advise you. ;)

Regards,

snap

3. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Hi BigBuck and Snap! (Love your Spooky avatar!:) )

I tried to run McAfee's firewall when I first got XP, it seemed to slow me down alot. I don't see why you would need both!?

I decided to change to Kerio, McAfee still slows me down, I will let you know in a few days, if you want to wait?

But, then I am also going to get a router, so I don't have too much coming in, then I can learn what should not go out!!

My dos pesos,

Marja:cool:

4. snapdragin

(Thank you marja. :D )

bigbuck, I did a bit of googling for ICF reviews, and from some of the articles I've read (though quickly), it looks like the newer version of Windows Firewall in SP2 is more powerful with both inbound and outbound protection, whereas the earlier version only had inbound protection.
    http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,114593,00.asp

It would stand to reason that having both inbound & outbound protection in the newer version of ICF there would be even a greater risk of having software conflicts with running two firewalls.

I also found this from Kerio's Support Helpdesk. They recommend not to run other firewalls (they even bolded ICF) with Kerio:
    Can I use multiple personal firewalls on one computer?

For some reason I can't get their Knowledge Base page loaded again. It may be busy. :doubt: So if you want to try it later, go to http://www.kerio.com/kerio.html and click on the Support link at the top of the page, then choose Knowledge Base, and you'll see the question regarding running other firewalls.

Hope the above is of some help. :)

Regards,

snap

Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  5. bigbuck

Wow!
    Thanks for all that work Snap.........
    I'm a bit surprised by the outbound protection on the SP2 F'wall. I certainly didn't know that !!.............Maybe I don't really need Kerio then?.........I've always been v happy with the XP ICF......no probs yet (touch wood!)
    It's funny that my friend was advised that he could use both F'walls (as long as he custom installed Kerio) by this fellow;

http://www.rayshaw.im.com.au/

Anyway, thanks again for everything,
    Regards,
    Buck.

6. snapdragin

Your very welcome, bigbuck. :)

If you are not having any problems with Windows Firewall and happy with it, then I would stay with just one software firewall.

You may have already read through these two following links for Windows Firewall configuration settings, but I'll post them here in case anyone else might find them helpful:
    Understanding Windows Firewall
    Manual Configuring Windows Firewall in Windows XP SP2

Regards,

snap

7. TheSnowGuy

TheSnowGuy Guest

Its not a matter of can it be done (running two firewalls)...its a matter of should it be done..........TECHNICALLY ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!~!~!~!~

8. bigbuck

Thanks Snap
    Greatly appreciated

Buck

9. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Buck

As snapdragin already mentioned, it is not recommended to run two software firewalls. Most vendors will advise against it and MS also recommends that if you are going to use a third party firewall to turn off the Windows Firewall.

Some additional info and links is available in Windows Firewall Overview & Tips in the Other Firewalls Sticky Posts.

Regards,

CrazyM

10. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

There is FUD in this thread...the XP firewall has never had outbound protection other than the few outbound icmp options. The XP firewall any version is NOT an outbound firewall.

Use one software firewall only.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.