"Kerio PF 4.2" or "Agnitum Outpost FP 2.7"

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by TeknO, Aug 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeknO

TeknO Registered Member

(For only, Kerio Personal Firewall 4.2 and Agnitum Outpost Firewall Pro 2.7)
    Which firewall is better? And Why? (please explain)
    Thanks and regards,
    TeknO

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i like outpost better because it doesnt require as much importing/creation of rules as LnS and i dont have to order them as well. as its pretty powerful with a nice gui. but if u like the privacy features, HIPS, and stuff in kerio then go for it. just try each one and decide which is better for u.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  3. TeknO

TeknO Registered Member

The privacy side of kerio seems much better. And warnings are more clear (for me)

4. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Be aware that such "privacy" features only work for simple malware which does not encrypt its traffic. The more sophisticated ones however do use encryption so on balance, I'd suggest that such "privacy" features are more harmful since they may give a false sense of security (try entering some "private" information on an https:// page - Kerio will almost surely not give you any warning).

Anti-virus/anti-trojan software or process control programs (like Process Guard) which can control attempts to hook the keyboard would be a better counter for any password-stealing trojans.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

It is hard these days to compare the various popular firewalls like Kerio 4.2, Outpost and ZAP. All are good and have their strengths and weaknesses. I do like Kerio 4.2 and also like Outpost. At the moment, I have a little better luck with Kerio 4.2 since I don't notice any bugs when I use it. Outpost runs well for me also, but seems a little more quirky. It puts error messages in my event viewer at Win shutdown (I believe it's just crashing at shutdown), and at times seems to have a logic of it's own when obeying (or not obeying) rules. But some of this has been addressed in recent releases I think.

So in general, I wouldn't say anything too bad about either one. I do like both myself, you probably will too. :)

6. Hi, yes, both of them are good, but in this moment I am having better luck with kerio, as Kerodo says, and it is very good and secure to use a program por internal security "HIPS" as Paranoid 2000 says, I use Antihook 2.5 with Kerio now and they work very fine and my system is safe.

7. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I'm still deciding. Waiting for more feedback about the new Kerio 4, given Kerio 4's history.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2005
  8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Kerio 4 has a terrible history alright, and the beta's were very buggy too, but somehow they seem to have worked it out pretty good in the final 4.2 based on what I saw when I tried it briefly. I was truly surprised. They fixed several things that had been annoying me in previous versions..

9. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

If I can get ZAP to work (and after this install, it is SO FAR,) I'll use that, at least until KIS 2006 comes out. If I can't, I guess Kerio 4 is a possibility if the feedback continues to be good. Thanks for the feedback, Kerodo.

10. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Well, I've had a tiny problem with kerio 4.2. I've been running it since it came out without a problem at all, and had planned to keep it (free version) as my regular, in between checking out other firewalls.

When the new Filesclab came along, I thought it would be fun to have a look at it, so uninstalled kerio 4.2. When i rebooted, nothing would work. Windows XP Home booted fine, but everything was locked up tight. I couldn't open any programs at all. I reinstalled win XP to try and repair the problem. Still, nothing would work. After an hour of checking various things, I ended up reformatting and reinstalling XP. It was no big deal, since it was about due anyway. Because of the amount of downloads and removal of software, I usually format yearly just to clean things out.

This could have been just a quirk with my machine, since I haven't read about anyone else having problems uninstalling kerio 4.2. Thinking on it, though, I might drop back to kerio 4.1.3 just to play it safe. It performed nicely on this machine and no trouble removing it whenever I wanted to.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Chuck - I haven't had any problems uninstalling Kerio 4 myself, but you never know. :)

That's one reason though, why I keep a disk image of my HD on hand. I reformat fresh, do an image before installing any firewall, and then any time something goes wrong I just take 10 minutes to restore from the image. It's truly a great thing. Saves me hours when it's needed..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.