Kerio free versus filesclab

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by aigle, Mar 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I want to ask out of Kerio free and filesclab, which one is better choice?
    Also do these firewalls check signatures for authorized applicatios to see in case the signatures are changed by any malware( like LnS for examople).

2. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

kerio is best bet

3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

The free version of Kerio have nice features and configuration, and you can also make rules...
    Use more memory than Filseclab, but less CPU because Filseclab is always using CPU even when it shouldn't be necessary!

I don't know what Sunbelt have planned to Kerio, but my choice goes to Kerio when I want to suggest a free firewall to my friends, if they can't go with CHX...

4. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

We share much in common, I recommend the exact same thing, except most of my friends don't even know the difference between TCP and UDP o_O

Alphalutra1

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

:D

That should be normal for the majority of the users, because they use the computers for other things and don't bother with these subjects...

On a friend computer, I had to install the Kerio just to ask him when a program want's to act like a server, like eMule, uTorrent, etc..., so you can imagine... ;)

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

They both do rules nicely. As has been said Kerio is a bit heavier on ram use and Filseclab is heavier on CPU use, so it kinda depends on which you value most. I tend to prefer using more ram and less cpu. Both do some sort of MD5 or checksum on apps I believe.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

thanks. But just about CHX I think it,s not for beginners.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Well, if you like and are familiar with rules, then CHX is fairly straightfoward. I'd say if you can handle Kerio 2 and LnS and Filseclab then you can handle CHX also. A good read thru of the online docs is helpful. There is a sample rule set online which is very simple. Just start with that and modify to suit your needs. There are also quite a few people here on the forum who use CHX who can possibly help also. Keep in mind though, that CHX offers no traditional outbound app control like the others mentioned above.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks Kerodo, I will go with Kerio I think( also in beginner mode).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.