Kerio 4.3.268 Memory Usage

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by DVD+R, Dec 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Can you please explain this :blink: At present my Kerio is using

kpfgui.exe (Username) 29,772k

kpf4ss.exe (SYSTEM) 46,344k

kpf4gui.exe (SYSTEM) 28,964k

Why the 3 Entrys ? its a total of 105,08k isnt this quite alot considering? or is it normal with web browsing and running Windows Media Player at the same time.

Incidently going off topic, but I wanted to add that NOD32 is using

nod32krn.exe (SYSTEM) 45,120k

nod32kui.exe (Username) 24,084k

NOD32 shows this more often than not,and my system is 3.62Ghz with 1024MB RAM

2. KDNeese

KDNeese Registered Member

When I upgraded to Kerio 4.3.268 , memory usage was almost a duplicate of yours. The "kpfgui.exe" is just your user interface, while the "kpf4ss.exe" is the firewall service. Do you have two instances of kpfgui.exe running? I believe there should only be one. If I remember right, the previous version of Kerio still ran around 35-40mb, which is still a litte much. By the way, I no longer use Kerio, as each upgrade seems to only get worse, especially in the resource usage area.

As far as NOD32, your memory usage seems awfully high; over double what mine runs. Had you monitored NOD's memory usage before installing 4.3.268? Also, which version of NOD are you running? If you are running 2.7 with anti-stealth enabled, I have noticed that the more security apps you run, the more NOD seems to have to work. So, if you are running Kerio with behavior-blocking enabled, NOD is going to be watching what it does, and may cause memory usage to be higher. As a general rule, nod32krn.exe usually runs anywhere from 7-19mb on my system, depending on how many other security programs are running. Also, I have everything enabled in my NOD32 (including Advanced Heuristics, scanning runtime packers, anti-stealth, etc). My nod32kui.exe user interface runs only around 2mb. If it is running 28mb on yours, that is really, really high. Your system is much faster than mine, and you have double the memory that I have. Perhaps that enters into the equation, but I don't know if that matters. I guess you could try uninstalling Kerio, possibly install an earlier version, and see if that affects memory usage in NOD. Worth a shot, anyway.

3. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I have installed Kerio 4.3.268 to check:

I am seeing 2 instancies of kpf4gui.exe, but no kpfgui.exe.

Current memory:
    kpf4gui.exe 9,440k
    kpf4gui.exe 6,808k
    kpf4ss.exe 13,220k

Nod 2.7
    nod32krn.exe 19,504
    nod32kui.exe 1,404k

I will leave installed/running to check for any change during use.

4. gyl

gyl Registered Member

Hello for me,it's:
    -kpf4gui exe: 8040k
    -kpf4gui exe: 6896k
    -kpf4ss.exe: 13368k

windows xp sp2

bye

5. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

I sent a problem ticket to Kerio, their answer was to do a clean install, I have done this, and it still gives out the high readings. I'm thinking its because I have the Machine I do, 3.62Ghz :ninja:

6. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

From that inference, that would mean a much slower PC would use less memory for a given programo_O? That would not sound logical for programs to adjust the amount of memory used based on CPU clock cycles. But again, I am not the software writer so don't know the progamming involved.

BTW, the one odd thing that I also don't quite understand is how programmers can adjust the program's system resource use for a revised program version based on user complaints about resource hogging. Are they taking out crucial processes when they do that? Or are they that sloppy of a programmero_O?

7. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

No No, I dont mean that at all, I was just thinking that maybe the Higher Ther Processor the Higher the Firewall has to work, or maybe it doesnt, I dont know it was just a guess :D And from the Answer I got from Sunbelt Kerio Support, I guess they are Sloppy :ninja:

8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

My goodness that is huge resource use. I have used a few older versions of version 4 and wasn't too happy with any of them. It seems to be an ok firewall but just doesnt suit my preferences.

9. Jacko2

Jacko2 Registered Member

kpf4gui.exe 8092
    kpf4ss. exe 13160
    kpf4gui.xex 7176:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.