kerio 2.15 splash screen

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by ellison64, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Is there a parameter to stop the splash screen loading?,at windows boot up.
    tia
    ellison

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. ellison64

Thanks for reply.I dont really want to use a patch for it.I was hoping there was some simple parameter to use such as nosplash or whatever.I know its only a second or two , but if every piece of software i use insisted on showing a splashscreen at startup,without a turnoff option , i think id go nuts.
    thanks again
    ellison

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I agree. :D

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't think there's any simple way to do it.. Why not just turn your head the other way for a second or two while it splashes? :D

6. ellison64

Spanner inthe works.....
    Thanks for the thought.Ive tried a parameters that i thought might work but no joy.

Kerodo.....
    I think i am starting to go nuts..i am actually quite getting to like the splash.Its the very first thing that starts , and the "royal blue" goes nicely with my desktop backdrop...now how can i make the splash last longer? :)
    ellison

7. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

I don't get why people complain about the splash screen... Its there for a couple seconds at the most when the engine is loading, the drivers is already in memory, and you only see it at startup...

Also if I were not to see the splash screen on startup, I would think there is something wrong with the software, or some other component on my system.

So what is the BFD?

8. ellison64

Hello BlitzenZeus...
    Theres no BFD.I would imagine that if you had 8 or more programmes starting up with windows and they all insisted on showing a splash screen ..even you might get annoyed.Its because of this, that most programmes have an option to view the splash or not.Its the system tray icon that i regard as "reassurance" as to whether the software has loaded correctly and not the splash screen.That said ..i am actually getting used to the splash , though it does take a bit of getting used to initially ,if your not accustomed to them ...like myself.By the way , thank you for the hard work that you have obviously put in ,in making the standard and advanced rulsets at dsl reports.Ive just recently loaded the standard ruleset ,and am feeling my way round them.I do very much like this firewall .,and have a few questions to ask regarding kerio/rules etc , though i guess the kerio/tiny support forum at dsl reports would probably be the best place to ask.
    ellison

9. BlitzenZeus

I don't login to my computer until I see the splash screen, and I only have to wait a second for the splash screen to appear after it shows me the login options. This way I know the firewall is running before any programs on my user account are loaded, but I also use a undocumented tweak to block all traffic until the engine is loaded. The tweak is undocumented as there is a nasty side effect that if you disable the engine while its running, it cannot connect to the driver again, and it can be a pain to get the engine to connect to the driver again unless you know what to do. Also all traffic is blocked so you can't get any help from that computer either if you don't know how to make the engine re-connect to the driver.

I wish they really had fixed it so it could be documented, and obvious feature in the firewall, however I guess they had better things to do.... Like their failed 3.x project, and their continually-in-beta 4x project...

10. ellison64

I tried the 4 version yesterday to see what it was like.I must admit i prefer the simplicity of 2 , and the fact that everythings easy to find.I did like the component control in 4 though.However after an hours browsing and just when i thought that i could get used to the firewall , i experienced a freeze ,and the usual "..program (kerio) not responding windows message.Wheneevr this happens on my system , i tend to think that perhaps that version is a little to complicated for my humble 98 (it seems lot of updated software is getting a little to complicated for 98 lately).Version 2.15 works very well doesnt cause any problems and does not slow down browsing at all.
    ellison

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Not to mention that they drop support for Win98 in the upcoming 4.2 I believe..

12. BlitzenZeus

Actually 4.2 is NT 5.x only, so even WinME is already dropped. I'm not sure why they did this as even earlier versions like 2x have seperate drivers dependent on the operating system its ran on, I guess they are just getting lazier, they were already not fixing serious things in the past like the logging problems which was reported during the initial beta stages.

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yep, it's a sad state of affairs for 4.xx... The logging is very strange to say the least.. I keep trying the new versions as they come out, but my hopes for version 4 are almost gone now.. sorry to say...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.