Kerio 2.13

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Grasshopper, Dec 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Registered Member

Hi all ,
    Would anyone here be able to tell where to get Kerio 2.13 o_O? , on their website I can only find version 4 .
    o_OMaybe I'm using the site wrong o_O? o_O
    Thanks ,
    Frank

2. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I haven't noticed Kerio 2.1.3 anywhere during any of my snooping for firewalls. You can get 2.1.5 here at Wilders in free tools, also at webattack.com and a lot of other places.

http://www.webattack.com

Here, look for free tools and scroll down to firewalls. At webattack, click on freeware. Personal firewalls is in the middle right column, and you'll find Kerio 2.1.5 there.

I've used 2.1.4 and really there isn't much difference between it and 2.1.5. I suspect the differences between the 2.1.3 and 2.1.5 are just incremental and you probably wouldn't notice anything. Kerio is a great firewall and I think these older versions are still very effective.

3. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

It appears you can also get 2.1.5 at:
    http://www.kerio.com/dwn/kpf/

Here seems to be a working download of 2.1.3:

http://www.theguardianangel.com/Special_Downloads.htm

Like Chuck57, I wonder if 2.1.5 might be a better bet than 2.1.3.

4. Grasshopper

Thanks Chuck57 ,
    It was 2.15 I was looking for , from what I've read the new version isn't as good as the older version so I thought I would give it a try .

Thanks again ,
    Frank

5. Grasshopper

Hi Optigrab ,
    looks like our posts crossed in the web .
    thanks
    Frank

6. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

7. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Frank

A lot of mixed reviews on v4.x, some like it, some don't.
    Kerio 2.15 is a great firewall and well worth a try if you have not used it before.

Regards,

CrazyM

8. Grasshopper

Hi CrazyM,

I downloaded and installed 2.15 , set it up and went to shields up , sygate , and pcflank got a complete stealth at all sites .
    I don't know much about firewalls so I hope this means I have it configured properly o_O
    Thanks
    Frank

9. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Hi Frank

If you have any questions about your rule set or rules in general, feel free to ask :)

For Kerio 2.15 you might want to check out the following:

BlitzenZeus Kerio 2x Default Replacement Rules
    BZ also frequents this forum.

DSLReports Kerio - Tiny Support

Kerio Forum

Customizing Rules

System Wide
    Global Permit/Block
    Application
    Final Block

Regards,

CrazyM

10. Grasshopper

CrazyM,

Thanks very much , I'll give it a read and maybe get back to you on the rules . :) :) :)

Regards
    Frank

11. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

Unlike some examples originating from other firewalls which might have port blocking rules, Kerio will block packets by default unless there is a listening port. So in most cases you only need to make allow rules, and blocking rules for listening ports which have no business listening for any inbound connections. An exception of this is the default replacement I offer does this to protect some users so they don't open their services to the world when they don't really know what they are doing, as the nature of rule based firewalls is very complex, and people can make holes in their firewall when they have no idea what they are doing.

Rule based firewalls are more for power, and advanced users. However anyone with enough time and patience can learn how to use a rule based firewall correctly. This won't happen over a short period of time, more like months if your a quick learner, and you never stop learning. :cool:

12. Grasshopper

Hi BlitzenZeus ,

I'm slowly beginning to realise what you said is the truth , rules based firewalls are very indepth and difficult for the average user to understand .
    Patience I have , time I'm a little short on.
    I hope I have chosen the easiest of the rules based firewalls to learn and experiment on and maybe someday :) :) :) :) :) :)
    Cheers and thanks ,
    Frank

13. Amerk_5

Amerk_5 Registered Member

I think it's one of the easiest rules based firewalls to use. I tried Look-N-Stop, & while it is a good firewall it takes a lot more time to understand how to set up the rules (which I still haven't).

I'm sticking with v2.1.5 because it works just fine for me. There have also been problems (not sure if they've been fixed yet) with Kerio v4.x & avast! antivirus (which I use). I haven't even bothered trying Kerio v4.x.

14. DolfTraanberg

DolfTraanberg Registered Member

One thing though: being stealthed on all relevant ports just means you have your listening ports covered. All outgoing traffic has still to be configured.
    Dolf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.