Kerio 2.1.5

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Motherroad, Jan 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Motherroad

Motherroad Registered Member

I am using Kerio2.1.5 and see it was released in 2003. My question is over the last 3 years has there been so many changes in firewalls to make this version obsolete? Thanks for the feedback

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

If you are talking about leaktests, yes, it´s outdated. The packet filter is good, reliable and fast. To my knowledge, it hasn´t critical and/or remotely explotable bugs.

3. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

Actually the last release of Kerio 2.x was around 2001, its hard to remember anymore, but it still remained popular years after its demise as it was free, along with light on resources for those who actually understood how to configure it correctly.

4. herbalist

herbalist Guest

This depends on how you define the role of the firewall. If the firewalls task is traffic control, Kerio 2 is still a very capable firewall. If the firewall is also supposed to control applications, detect hooks or injection, and protect the registry, then Kerio 2 is obsolete. If the task of controlling applications and hooks is the job of a separate program, then Kerio 2 is still a good firewall. I've been using it for years and plan to keep using it as long as it remains compatible with the internet.
    Whether Kerio 2 is obsolete comes down to one question which each user has to decide for themselves. Is a firewall a combined multipurpose security program or is it strictly for internet traffic control, with the other tasks performed by other software?
    Rick

5. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks.
    I don't have much knowledge here, but I have always thought of a firewall as traffic control. I have used Kerio 2.1.5 for 5 or 6 years with satisfaction. I also use LnS, and am not sure if it is anything other than traffic control either.
    Jerry

6. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Same as herbalist, and also courtesy his open posts & reviews now years later, but in spite of all other objections, negative or suggestive against, i have from Windows 98SE which i still use in tandom with XP Pro dual boot box, continue to find COMPLETE SAFETY & SATISFACTION from my choice.

It's Kerio 2.15

I have tried some, not ALL the others and so far have swifty returned to this original howbeit outdated? firewall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.