Kerio 2.1.5 user to Vista Windows Firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by deadmanschest, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deadmanschest

deadmanschest Registered Member

Hi all - long time gone, but I want opinions.

10 years plus with Kerio 2.1.5 and now have new laptop with Vista x64. First couple of days getting setup and only add-on is "Vista Firewall Control" for outbound apps.

Home setup is NAT enabled router (wired and wireless). Have not networked desktop PC and laptop.

I have very tight outbound and inbound rules in K2.1.5.

Example - ThunderBird for email is only allowed outbound to remote ports for SMTP,POP and IMAP and related SSL secure etc. No other remote ports except specific IPs for extension updates. I don't have "trusted apps" - I have "trusted apps that can only connect to the addys or ports that they need".

Example - atomic time clock update can only connect to remote server port 113 and 23. Each app then has a full block as next rule.

Almost every Microsoft app or service gets a full block the first time they all try to phone home.

So. I quote Wikipedia here..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Firewall

"Vista significantly improves the firewall to address a number of concerns around the flexibility of Windows Firewall in a corporate environment:

* A new management console snap-in named Windows Firewall with Advanced Security which provides access to many advanced options, and enables remote administration. This can be accessed via Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Windows Firewall with Advanced Security, or by running "wf.msc"
    * IPv6 connection filtering.
    * Outbound packet filtering, reflecting increasing concerns about spyware and viruses that attempt to "phone home". Outbound rules are configured using the management console.
    * With the advanced packet filter, rules can also be specified for source and destination IP addresses and port ranges.
    * Rules can be configured for services by its service name chosen by a list, without needing to specify the full path file name.
    * IPsec is fully integrated, allowing connections to be allowed or denied based on security certificates, Kerberos authentication, etc. Encryption can also be required for any kind of connection.
    * Improved interface for managing separate firewall profiles. Ability to have three separate firewall profiles for when computers are domain-joined, connected to a private network, or connected to a public network (XP SP2 supports two profiles--domain-joined and standard). Support for the creation of rules for enforcing server and domain isolation policies.

Windows Server 2008

Windows Server 2008 contains the same firewall as Windows Vista...."

The above sounds pretty good. I have yet to explore the MMC, I like the idea of "profiles" for home with NAT, public wireless trusted and public wireless suspect for example.

So...Opinions please - would a rule-writer be happy using the Vista WinFW?

Thanks, and any links to a tutourial or good read on configuring the Vista WinFW appreciated!

Cheers

dmc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.