Kerio 2.1.5 - how to stop trusted sites accessing the internet?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Bob2000, Aug 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob2000

Bob2000 Registered Member

I've now configured my rules this way. Thanks :thumb:

I tried installing the Adobe CS suite and the related programs seem to be trying to connect themselves (e.g. as shown in attached screen shot).
    Alert1 Bonjour.jpg

I haven't seen any svchost applications starting when I start Adobe so hopefully my original worry was unfounded. Anyway, I found this discussion useful from a learning perspective. Thanks to everyone who contributed!

2. Seer

Seer Registered Member

The popup shows a multicast DNS. It is a local comm for discovering hosts on a LAN and does not go beyond your router (certainly not to Adobe). As I said, if you don't use Bonjour (Adobe Bridge), you can safely stop & disable its service. No side-effects.

Cheers :thumb:

3. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Many of the functions performed by svchost use different ports. In order to get better control over how svchost is used, rules for it should be port specific. When no port is specified, Windows can use those rules for anything that process can do. The easiest way to track this particular communication would be to disable all the existing svchost rules by unchecking them, then click apply. Launch the adobe app. Kerio should alert to the new svchost connection attempt. The alert will then contain the port and IP info you need.

Once you get this part sorted, I'd delete the existing svchost rules, and make new ones with the address, port and protocol specified for each. Also add the function performed to the rule name to simplify things later.

4. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Quote. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.