Keeping settings for new installation...

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by yontev, Jul 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yontev

yontev Registered Member

I would like to reinstall my operating system. I have some reservations, because setting up Nod32 was very time-consuming. Is there a way to back up the settings that I can restore on a new install. I want to back up all initial settings, license information, scan schedule and the scan I created manually. How can this be done?

-N

2. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

If you are familiar with the registry, export the Eset key in HKLocal Machine/Software.
    After you install NOD on the new system, but BEFORE you restart the machine, double click on the exported file. It is important to do this before NOD is running, because then it is protecting it's registry keys and will not allow you to overwrite them.

Alternatively, I think there is an xml file somewhere in Blackspear's thread on extra settings that will restore those settings.

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

4. flyrfan111

Thanks for the link Blackspear, the Ferrari thread is the same as my suggestion, if it makes it a little more clear.

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

My pleasure.

Cheers :D

6. yontev

yontev Registered Member

The Ferrari suggestion seems the simplest...that's all I need to do? I will likely export the folder to a flash drive. When I double click the folder to restore the registry keys, will this work from my flash drive or do I need to copy it onto the hard drive? If I have to copy it onto the hard drive, then where?

-N

7. flyrfan111

Yes, just be sure to make the export before you start the uninstall and you will have the latest settings, a jump drive works just fine, that's where mine is actually. no need to copy it to the hdd. When you double click it, it will ask if you want to add this key to the registry, click yes, then it will tell you it has added them, then you are safe to restart your computer.

8. yontev

yontev Registered Member

Does this approach to saving settings apply to other software too. For example, I need to also save the settings to my AVG anti-spyware software and zonealarm firewall.

9. flyrfan111

It depends on where the software stores it's settings. I have no idea where ZA or AVG store their settings.

You might ask about where AVG stores it settings in the ewido forum a few boards down from NOD's here at wilders.

10. yontev

yontev Registered Member

Will saving the saved settings still work even though the reinstalled system might have software changes. Someone suggested to me saving the registry settings will only work if the system that the registry is restored on is identical to the one it was back up on. I am certain that it will not be identical.

-N

11. flyrfan111

As long as NOD is installed in the same folder on the same drive, it will work.

If other drives change, like there are more drives or less drives on the new system/install, it would only affect the on demand scanner, when you open it the profiles will have changed and you will be prompted to save those changes, other than that, it should work fine

12. xTiNcTion

xTiNcTion Registered Member

:D :D :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.