keeping computer room cool

Discussion in 'hardware' started by chris45, Jun 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris45

chris45 Registered Member

whats the best way to keep your room cool for your computer. every summer my computer seem's to really struggle with all the heat in the room. I heard water cooling is best but can that be done on any computer. what other ways are good to keeping your computer cool

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I put an air conditioner in the window directly behind me, and shut the door with the computer on. The room is about 10x10, so both me and the computer are cool in no time. :cool:

3. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Air ioniser (air purifier) + air conditioner for the room ( keep the doors closed ).

Internal cooling system: Water cooling can be used on any pc ( not laptops ). Requires internal space. It can be done also by having most parts externally but your case must have holes for the tubes to go inside.
    Another method is to use a passive cooler on the cpu + gpu but have a really good airflow inside the case ( this method requires usually huge space, these cpu coolers are massive, and is not indicated for any hardware ).
    Best cheap method: traditional air cooling but using quality coolers and fans.
    Best expensive method: water cooling ( buy only quality parts, specially the pump ).

4. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

If it's that hot, maybe it would be best to buy a window air conditioner. I used one of those when I was in grad school, and I couldn't have worked without it during the summer. They are pretty effective if you keep the doors closed.

But even if you cool the room, you would still benefit from improved cooling for your computer.

If it's a laptop, put it on top of a laptop tray or just an improvised tray such as a bowl that leaves an air space under the computer.

If it's a desktop, you might want to open it up - although then it's noisier.

I had an old desktop that would literally crash because of overheating. I bought and installed extra fans for it, which maybe worked to some degree (you can buy cheap hard drive fans for $5-10 and install them yourself if there's space above or below the hard drive - leave some extra air space), but the best way to keep the machine cool for me was to open it up, place it somewhere with good airflow, and when needed I set a small fan (about the size of 30 disk round cd container) to blow directly into it (side panel off, fan pointing directly into open computer).

If you are worried about dust/dirt buildup, then just clean your computer more often. Some people never do, and even though they always keep them closed, they still end up with think layers of dust and dirt all over the insides of their machine.

Some people also grease the fans to reduce noise, but it's a PITA.

5. chris45

what if i took a fan and directed it so it blew right into the computers openings? like how laptop cooling pads fans blow right into laptop's openings where the computer breathes

6. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

That wouldn't help much. You'd need to add another case fan to get more airflow.

How hot does your room get in the summer?

As others have noted, A/C and/or better room ventilation may help.

And BTW, if the computer's dirty inside, carry it outside and blow it clean with compressed air. Don't vacuum it!

7. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    How hot...using a thermometer...not your impression. Actual facts are helpful. Currently I'm in between selling a home in one town, renting a house, and next week closing in the purchase of a new house. Current house I'm renting..my office is up on the 3rd floor...no AC, very hot up there (guess it was an attick coverted into a nice office or bedroom). Quite hot up there..but my overclocked C2D rig runs fine. Yeah the fans spin faster and louder due to the heat..but hey..that's their job.

When you say your computer struggles with it..what exactly do you mean by that? Does it lock up frequently?

8. chris45

the temperature in the room during hot days goes from 23C to 30C. the computer doesn't lock up just run's slow sometimes.

9. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

My computer room is on the other side of the wall from the where the thermostat for the house is located. This presents a problem when all the computers are cranking out the BTUs as it actually warms that shared wall affecting the thermostat making it think the whole house is warmer than it is. So in the Summer, it caused the thermostat to call for the AC more than really needed cooling down the rest of the house too much (and running up my electric bill). And in the Winter, it caused the thermostat to think the rest of the house was comfy, when it was really too cold.

So I added a small layer of insulation behind the thermostat and I use a small window AC in the computer room and keep it set the same as the rest of the house. In the Winter, I close the heat vent and just let the computers heat the room. It works.

I do not recommend water cooling for that only cools the components directly connected to the radiators and does nothing for the rest of the components.

Do note, however, that since migrating all my systems to newer generation CPUs, my computers are cranking out about 30-40% less heat.

10. cgeek

cgeek Registered Member

Check your mail. :)

11. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

If everything in your computer were at 30 C, there'd be no problems. Some combination of cleaning, adding a stronger case fan, and adding a CPU fan (unless there's one already, or there's ducting in the way) is probably your best bet. OTOH, perhaps the heat is causing you to imagine that the computer is slower ;) A fan or A/C might help with that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.