Keepass password saved to memory

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Fontaine, Dec 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

I use Keepass 1.x on windows and KeepassX on the mac to access the same database stored in dropbox.

I noticed that when I copy a password using CTRL+C, that password stays in memory even after I close the Keepass database. I looked in the options have the feature checked to "copy data to clipboard and clear it automatically after some seconds"...and I am using 10 seconds as the time limit, but it doesn't clear the clipboard.

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I've been using Keepass for years and never noticed this security flaw (on my side). How can I fix it so that my passwords don't stay in memory so that I can't paste them using CTRL+V long after I closed my password database?

2. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

3. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

Switch to Keepass 2!

4. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

That is really weird. I'm using KeePass 1.x and the clipboard is cleared after the number of seconds I specified (10 in my case). Are you sure there is no other clipboard management app running that somehow manages to store the password?

5. Fontaine

I've never used a clipboard app (to my knowledge). I don't even know what I would use one for...let alone the name of one to download.

Hmmm, this problem is really bugging me and I can't find a solution.

6. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Maybe switching to AutoType with 2 Channel Obfuscation (does 1.x even offer this?) would be better? I'd switch to 2.x as well, but it is an interesting bug, hope you get it figured out and let us know.

PD

7. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

You might drop an email to Dominik (Keepass creator), I am sure he will get back to you.

8. Fontaine

Ok, I figured out the issue because I was having the same problem with Lastpass. When I copy a password in Keepass, I was highlighting the password and either using the keyboard to CTRL+C or right clicking and selecting copy on the highlighted field. Apparently Keepass did not know I was actually copying something.

The solution for me is to highlight the unopened password entry and select "copy password." When I do this, it clears out of memory in the amount of time I have selected (10 seconds).

I can't believe I've used Keepass for so many years and never knew about this. I've been putting my passwords on the clipboard and just leaving them there. :eek:

9. bandango

bandango Registered Member

You can also select the entry (not the password!) and press CTRL-C.

10. HAN

HAN Registered Member

I looked at this thread yesterday and wondered why it wasn't working for you because it had always worked for me when I used KeePass. But I also assumed you were using the button in KeePass itself, not the generic clipboard. :)

FWIW, from my personal tests, when you drag and drop the user name and password using KeePass, it bypasses the clipboard. A very good thing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.