KeePass 1.x or 2.x?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Fontaine, Oct 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

I've been using KeePass version 1.x for a long time and love it.
    I've recently been playing around with 2.x. Can't see a reason to upgrade, other than it has more icons...and minor reasons like that.

Is there any reason why I might NOT want to upgrade? I know 2.x requires .NET which isn't a problem on my machines (vista and win 7). I don't think I will ever have to use a system without .NET. Anyone else make the decision to stay with 1.x or upgrade?

2. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

The added features that 2.x provides, over & above those of 1.x, are listed below. I switched to 2X mainly because of the protected in-memory streams.

+Protected In-Memory Streams: When loading the inner XML format, passwords are encrypted using a session key.
    +You can lock the database to the current Windows user account. The database can then only be opened by the same person who created it.
    +2.x features an advanced option that explicitly optimizes the user interface for screen readers.
    +Out of the box, 2.x supports importing more than 25 formats
    +Has a powerful internal viewer for text files, images and documents. You don't even need to export attached files to view them!

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

As bellgamin notes, it's features. The only drawback I see with version 2 is the need for .NET Framework. Not in and of itself a bad thing but it does mean that version 2 needs more than just itself to run...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.