keep getting error and report error to ms after

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Jerry666, Jan 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerry666

Jerry666 Registered Member

just dis a port scan from 1733 to 1799 , reports all stealthed ? on my logs i only see outlook using ports in that range . not often just 3 times

2. Jerry666

i'm runnung 2000 says only effects 95 and 98 , does this mean i'm safe o_O??

3. sk

sk Registered Member

That's what I was wondering. But I'm not that up on the different viruses, though I am positive someone here is. At least on the surface it sounds ok and was probably only a false positive.

sk

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Hmm, I'm more interested as to what program was listening on port 1784. The scan summary pasted above doesn't say. It's simply pointing out during its Port Scan phase that something is listen on 1784/TCP. But, that could be anything that uses a random or sequentially assigned port above 1024, not just that possible piece of malware.

On Windows 2000, I think you can run a "netstat -ano" in a CMD window, at least you can do this on Windows XP. The little "o" causes netstat to list the process id (PID) that is related to the open/listening ports. You can cross reference that to the process list in the task manager to identify the program using a port.

Or, a tool like Fport from Foundstone will show you the program name directly. Fport is a free tool available from the link below. One great thing about it (and most tools from Foundstone) is that you don't even need to install it. You just unzip it, and run Fport.exe from a CMD/DOS prompt, and it displays the information.

http://www.foundstone.com/knowledge/proddesc/fport.html

Knowing the program holding a port open is key to tracking down whether or not you have a Trojan or if that port being used is just a coincidence.

5. Jerry666

well the new ad-aware found the problem . i think . have not had it happen since it rmoved bho that spybot and old adaware missed . something to do with time and watch top 50 ? i deleted it by mistake , but NO MORE ERRORS ~!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.