KDE or Gnome which Desktop Environment you use

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

which Desktop Environment you love to use KDE or Gnome and why ?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
  2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Kind of boxing us in, aren't you? Where's the option for Xfce, E17 and such? On my Linux box, I'm rocking KDE 4.3

3. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I use both. While I recognize KDE 4.3 as superior, I still need Gnome as my security blanket. :(

4. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

kde 4.2 here on openSuse 11 :thumb:

a remarkable distro:D

5. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

KDE. I still don't understand how windows users make the switch to Ubuntu (gnome). KDE is similar to windows.

6. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Speaking for myself, it wasn't the graphics. None of them are really similar imo.
    The defaults may ring some familiarity, but just using either for a while will show the differences.

7. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

I like them both and each have their pros and cons. Generally I prefer KDE. I'm not even sure why to be honest. My personal favourite though is LXDE. Agree with Pedro, none are particularly Windows like.

At the moment i'm using Puppy with JWM and ROX. Extremely light and fast. It would be nice if the big guns could squeeze this sort of performance out of their apps. My poor old desktop is loving Puppy.

8. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Neither. Gnome's outright bizarre, KDE I haven't cared for since they left three-five. My hardware and I are happiest running IceWM.

9. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

Personally, I don't see a dime's worth of difference between the two. I'm currently using Gnome but have KDE installed just so I can test it out every now and then. So far I haven't seen anything to make me want to change from what's familiar.

10. mack_guy911

i like gnome a lot in mint and fedora i try kde 4.3 now

11. Gnome, or KDE 3.5.x when possible. I like the old version of KDE, but unfortunately I find KDE4 to be incredibly sluggish. Which is strange, because standalone QT4 applications (like VLC and Arora) are quite fast.

Edit: right now I'm using Gnome though, because I'm taking a course on C# and Mono requires tons of Gnome stuff.

12. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

What "Gnome stuff" is there that you can't run from KDE? One of the reasons I feel there isn't much difference between the two anymore is that you can run "KDE stuff" from Gnome and "Gnome stuff" from KDE.

BTW, you say KDE 4 is slow. Which version are you talking about? KDE4.3 is an entirely different animal from KDE 4.0.

13. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    what distro are you using KDE4 on and which version of the distro and kde4?

14. Arch, but it's been the same on every distro I've tried it on... Mandriva, SuSE, Fedora, Slackware, Kubuntu, you name it.

15. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I liked KDE up to 3.5. I very much like Gnome and recently discovered Openbox to be sensible ... when configured properly that is.
    Mrk

16. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Well... maybe not everyone is looking for similarity. Some are actually using linux because they're looking for something different. Or trying to learn something new.
    For example, I personally prefer Gnome as it contributes more to this "non-win" feel.

17. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

I like them both... Gnome is well suited to mini laptops with small screens and KDE handles the real estate on the big ones as capably as Windows. The Unix kernel is rock solid and stable. No need to worry about malware crap. And its gotten easier to use over the years.

18. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Gnome as its the most complete, most working and most intuitive to use.
    KDE 4.X suffers from not working well enough and not always the most easy to use.
    XFCE is just not quite complete enough for me, by the time I've configured the way I like it, its not much lighter/faster than gnome, especially as I use Gnome apps the pull in dependancies.

19. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

It's the exact opposite for me.
    KDE 4 is intuitive and easy to configure. Modern, forward thinking, new ideas.
    Gnome is old, has HUGE buttons and fonts that make you hunt for themes, and when those are still not good, edit files to make it look, sort of almost quasi sane (those parts where the buttons smash the letters that come with it are telling you that you're lost in the file :p ).

Ubuntu made you guys Gnome spoiled i tell you. It's not like that at all :D
    I wish they focused on KDE 4 so they skip those parts that were designed and solved upstream.

20. mack_guy911

i agreee with Pedro easy is what you use often

now days i so much use gnome even i feel some time window vista strange and tough to configure there is too much to do in windows :D

21. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

KDE did something Microsoft has yet to do. It built a completely modular operating system and changed the way the desktop works. Microsoft is just following the leader in Windows 7.

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I like both really, but with the new KDE 4.3 I am now leaning more in the KDE direction. Gnome is nice and simple, but somehow KDE is becoming more appealing to me.

23. lewmur

lewmur Registered Member

This is a serious inquiry and not a knock on KDE. What is it in KDE 4.3 that you find appealing? Is it the "look and feel," or are there some "it can do this and Gnome can't" issues involved?

My biggest gripe about Gnome is the lack of a real "device manager" that lets you reinstall hardware and try different drivers. Does KDE 4.3 have that ability?

24. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

At this point it's mostly the look and feel I guess. I'm ready for a change. I am sick of the old KDE 3.5 look. And Gnome, although nice and clean, seems very simple now. I don't really have a stack of technical points why I like the new KDE, just a gut feeling. I do love the look though. Some other small features are nice, like the progress bar stuff when you copy files and how it auto-hides, and so on. It just seems well done overall. I also like some of the KDE apps like K3B and Amarok also, even though I know you can run any apps in any environment.

I have no idea about the device manager stuff, sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.