KDE 4.9 Doesn't Suck At All:

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by apathy, Nov 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. apathy

apathy Registered Member

I was once a proud KDE 3 user back in the day. KDE got slower and bloated over time. When it takes twice the time to login that it takes to boot, there's a problem. I tried out KDE 4.9 and it is very responsive and it has a nice hold over me. The one great benefit of KDE is the ability to configure everything in the desktop environment. It's almost overkill but it works. I am very curious about KDE 5 and its place in the linux world.

My favorite apps are: Krusader, K3b, Basket, and Autokey-QT.

I need a list of kde's killer apps. I am currently using Linux Mint's KDE distro

2. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

KDE is amont the best DE around, its sleek, fast and well polished with good stability. Best of all it can be configured for different hardware from low end to top end. Its gaming performance is the best of all DE as shown in Phoronix benchmarks. Its a pity no major mainstream distro is using it as its primary DE.

3. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

There was a time I disliked KDE. Now I love it. Using KDE Version 4.9.3, looking forward to 5.

4. apathy

apathy Registered Member

When I tried KDE a year or so ago I had major flickering and text issues but KDE 4.9 is butter. I am using Linux Mint KDE right now but Opensuse is calling me. The only reason I don't use Opensuse is because PPA's are so awesome.

5. linuxforall

6. apathy

apathy Registered Member

I am currently testing out the latest Manjaro 0.8.2 KDE version. I've never used Archlinux ever and I'm learning much. It seems I lost most of my linux skills ever since configuration tools left the console and went gui. It seems like centuries since I installed slackware on my 386sx and it took a day or two to build a kernel ;).

7. linuxforall

Manjaro won't test your skills much but you will enjoy the cutting edge of arch minus the hard work and headaches.

8. apathy

apathy Registered Member

Oh god, I don't want to go down the old slackware road of writing my own init scripts and such.

9. linuxforall

Yep so Manjaro is perfect for you then, also Cinnarch, Cinnamon based Arch distro.

10. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

The first thing I do after I install my Slackware is recompiling KDE from sources, without unnecessary bloat :D

11. chrisretusn

What bloat?

Slackware's KDE is compiled from sources. Perhaps not the way you prefer, but nonetheless compiled from sources.

12. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Yes, you are right. I think I used an improper term, I was referring indeed to the facilities I don't need - I wasn't talking about compiling with the default options :)

13. DasFox

DasFox Registered Member

LOL, oh sheesh Slack 14.0 just came out Sept. just do a full install it's not that complicated...

SLACK RULES! :)

14. chrisretusn

But, it comes with KDE 4.8.5. I like KDE 4.9.3 better. The best route to go with upgrading to KDE 4.9.3 is to use Alien Bob's packages. :D

15. moontan

moontan Registered Member

KDE is my favorite.

now that i just installed recently a new video card and a SSD it's time to give it another try.

using Cinnamon right now which is pretty damn cool, but i've always prefered KDE.

16. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

I am also a a KDE fan these days, and have both 12.04 LTS and 12.10.
    Very nice indeed.
    (I have hardly ever needed to kill processes, but even that can be 'fun' - just do ctrl+alt+esc, to get a skull and click. If that doesn't work use top to enter the pid or htop).
    Thought I'd mention that - sort of like the 'did you know' inside a bubble gum wrapper. :D :D

17. noons

noons Registered Member

Agree as well, KDE is my favorite desktop environment. I am actually using fedora with it and havent really had any major issues. Fedora seems to keep kde pretty up to date without me having to had ppa's as I did with ubuntu. Plus they seem to test it a little more before releasing it. For example 4.9 was skipped, but was released when 4.9.1 went out.

18. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I like KDE too, except for the menu navigation. When is KDE 5 supposed to come out, and what major changes will there be?

19. linuxforall

Chakra does the same and keeps it close to pure KDE, even GTK apps are isolated in separate bundles and the gtk dependencies are not placed in the system itself.

KDE 4.10 preview with app menu, KDE is the DE for future. http://gnumdk.blogspot.in/2012/11/appmenu-support-in-kde-410.html

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  20. moontan

moontan Registered Member

love KDE but Cinnamon feels snappier on my computosaur.

my framerate is much better in Cinnamon as well when playing games.

apparently, the new NVIDIA R310 drivers are the best thing since slice bread for gaming in Linux.
    but i'm gonna wait untill they hit the stable channel and give KDE another try then.

21. linuxforall

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.