KAV4.5 questions??

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by jon_fl, Sep 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jon_fl

jon_fl Registered Member

I'm thinking of trying out KAV4.5 as it seems that several posters are preferring it over 5.0. I figured if I like it, and 5.0 works out the kinks (according to some posters) I can upgrade to 5.0 then. I tried 5.0 and wasn't very impressed. If I don't like 4.5, are there any uninstalling issues? o_O

2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi Jon. I haven't come across any problems when uninstalling/reinstalling any of the Kaspersky versions, but i would advise you to use a good registry cleaner. The 4.5 can be a bit overwhelming, but play around and you will soon get it. A good place to seek advise besides here are the unofficial kaspersky Forum . Good luck. :)

3. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Hi
    Can confirm what Don says:-doesn't seem to be any uninstall issues with 4.5(I have gone back to it after trying all betas and release versions of 5 and feel it is the better of the two products;just takes a little more time(isnt as bad as a lot of people make out!)to configure.
    If you try 5 there can(is)an uninstall issue related to the ADS tags,but that seems to be exagerated,my system doesnt perform any dif after their removal than when they were "on"(left behind by Kav 5)
    Steve

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi Jon. :)

I shall also endorse Don's and Steve's posts re 4.5. :)

When you first install, you may like to try a Custom Install, as you can opt to install what parts you need or don't need. Up to you.

Just keep in mind 4.5 GUI is not a pretty sight, LOL, but at least it's darn effective.

I have mine set to Manual everything, plus the _x/SuperExtended data bases options in my Update URL's so it covers trojans/malware/etc.

If you need any help, just holler.... and if you really get stuck, go to link Don posted or PM me. :) I can send you a pile of pics showing my settings, etc.

Cheers, TAS

5. Big D1

Big D1 Registered Member

I have been bouncing back and forth from KAV 5.0 Personal and 4.5 Personal during an evaluation period. I finally bought a license key, and I am using 4.5 for one reason only. Heavy fragmentation with system restore enabled on KAV 5.0 which is unacceptable to me. Turn off system restore, and the fragmentation goes away.

I had no problems uninstalling and reinstalling on my XP SP2 rig. However, I did manually delete some left over folders. I didn't touch the registry at all.

First I chose typical when I first installed 4.5 which will install the KAV Control Center. Once I figured the Control Center out, I then realized that I didn't even need it, so I uninstalled, and then I chose the easy installation. Custom installation would have been the same if I ticked the boxes myself, so that's why I chose easy.

Control Center was not installed, so I had to figure out the new setup which uses a lot less memory by the way. Two running processes now, and the memory useage was around 6000 K to 13000 K which is excellent. The memory useage also depends on what is going on at the moment. On demand scans were about the same between 4.5 and 5.0.

I think KAV 4.5 is easier to use without the KAV Control Center installed. One thing that had me going for a while was how to autoupdate the virus definitions, and I wanted it to update in the background. Did a little searching around, and I finally got it to run from the command line with the q switch in Scheduled Tasks. Now I have it set to auto update every 3 hours.

Anyway, it was a big headache for me to get her going, but once you get comfortable with the interface, it becomes easy plus it is highly configurable.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.