KAV Updater stopped working after installing PG 3.100

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Defenestration, Dec 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Problem Solved - KAV Updater stopped working after installing PG 3.100

I have been running my system without PG for a week or so after doing a fresh install of XP SP2, and KAV Personal 5 had no problems updating. After installing PG 3.100 using Andreas' instructions on the commontology website, I can no longer update the database.

I uninstalled PG and I still can't update.

It hangs at the "Establishing connection with Kaspersky's update servers..." stage.

Any ideas ?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2004
  2. Andreas1

Andreas1 Security Expert

Hi Def,
    sorry to hear you're having problems.
    first of all, I'd try deleting %windows%\system32\pguard.dat and reboot - if that file is gone, you can be sure that PG is not interfering anymore. (Just out of curiosity - did you run KAV's updater while in learning mode after installing PG?)

Then, what does your firewall say? Is it aware of the connection attempt?

Andreas

3. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

This doesn't sound like the sort of thing that PG could be responsible for, and as you said you've already uninstalled it but it still doesn't work that would pretty much confirm that PG isn't the problem, not to mention that there are a lot of PG users who also use KAV without any problems. I'd recommend watching with Port Explorer or your firewall (if it has good realtime logging) to see how far the KAV updater is able to get - you may just be experiencing a network-related problem (DNS, cache, firewall, etc). Also try manually connecting to the site that the KAV updater uses (for example by using telnet)

4. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

Problem Solved! :D Around the time I installed PG I was also experimenting with proxy servers in IE (which I had forgotten about :oops:). Since KAV uses the IE settings, it was trying to use this proxy which was not available. When I set IE to connect directly and restarted KAV, it had no problems updating.

Thanks for the quick reply guys, and sorry for blaming PG :blink:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.