KAV Update Fails?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by gelbaum, Jun 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gelbaum

gelbaum Registered Member

I am evaluating KAV5 Personal. I have noticed that the rate of successfully updating virus signatures is erratic. I have set the update to occur every 3 hours, and the update "succeeds" about half the time. The other half of the time, the update "fails". The same happens when I set it for hourly updates.

My firewall is set up OK (obviously, otherwise the update would never succeed).

Any ideas? One of the things I like about KAV is the frequency of updates.

Any input would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. gelbaum

This is what the log file looks like (showing both successes and failures).

Attached Files:

3. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Might be having issues with their update server. I never had an problem with it. What firewall? I would bet if it isn't a server issue, something is off with the firewall. You can always try downloading and reinstalling. Might have been a corrupted install.

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Are you hardwired to you Internet connection or running wireless? If wireless, infrastructure or ad hoc mode?

Blue

5. gelbaum

Hardwired, using ZA 5.0. Gave full rights (trusted + internet; client + server) to
    kav.exe, kavsend.exe and kavsvc.exe in Zonelabs. Am also using a Linksys router with the firewall turned on.

6. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

You thinking proxy issue if he's in ad-hoc?

Are you using ICS with ZA?

7. gelbaum

Nope. Linksys hardware router provides NAT for my network - all machines are wireless except the one running KAV.

8. BlueZannetti

Possible - just guessing.

I'm not really familiar with KAV 5.0 Personal - but all the KAV's I've used have had update modules that generally started with avp (like avpupd.exe). Do you have all the required modules allowed by ZA? Can you see if any executables that are traceable to KAV being blocked by ZA? [I know - I see one case where things worked - let's put that inconsistency in the direction I'm going aside for a moment].

Blue

9. gelbaum

All the EXE files in the main Kaspersky directory are enabled in ZA (except "getsysteminfo.exe" and "uninstall.exe") for full access. These are all KAV* (and not AVP*): kav, kavsend, kavsvs.exe.

There are no other executable files that I can see that are related to KAV 5.0: the other files are in the Documents and Settings folder (nobody's perfect), and seem more like the actual signature files. No executables there.

10. BlueZannetti

OK, sounds like you have that angle fully covered.

Now let's focus on the thing I asked you to set aside - you have one successful update in the screen shot provided. Again - more or less guessing here trying to isolate something that makes sense.

Do the failures center on one of the update servers or all of them? Is this something that can even be set in KAV Personal?

Can you increase the default timeout for the ftp transfer configured (on KAV 5.0 WS beta I can access this value from Settings>Configure Updater>Settings>LAN Settings)? Is this even an option thats available?

Is there anything unique about that time the update succeeded? Was it closely following a fresh reboot of your PC or router? Are there any time based access rules in your router? Is the router running a recent version of the firmware? I'm also a Linksys owner and know that the performance metrics can be, shall we say, mixed for various firmware versions? Although we're looking at KAV, have you experienced any other download problems with large file downloads elsewhere (i.e. is this situation unique)?

Sorry for the questions - if it sounds like I'm fishing here it's because I am.

Blue

11. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

If it was a prob with firewall settings wouldn't it fail every time?:-must be a server prob,can you not choose which server to use like in kav 4.5 if so change it to the ext bases and see if prob persists

12. BlueZannetti

Typically yes. If the settings caused some other potentially variable issue - like a timeout error - than it's a maybe.

Since there's a router in the mix, one way to see if its a firewall issue is to disable the firewall when the problem is seen and see if it still occurs. Basically, the way I tend to debug situations like this is to follow a chain of challenge-response experiments geared to particular components or subsystems in the setup. Some are likely suspects, many are not. That limits the number of possible permutations to examine.

Blue

13. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Yes, I would also presume that also myself.. but could be a "time" thing/router issue.

Why don't you open the interface, and go to the Tasks option [o_O I am using 4.5 PRO] then right click on the Update module and select Start.

do it manually and watch it, instead of waiting for the autoupdate to kick in.

I only have 2 addys for mine to get, and I do mine manually personally everytime I get on the net and if long sessions, during it.

It's never failed once. I also do have the xtended databases on.

See attached pic of my addy's...

just did one..

TAS

Attached Files:

• 032.jpg
      032.jpg
      File size:
      65.4 KB
      Views:
  14. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Hi Taz
    I only tried 5 for a short period(didn't like it!) but I dont think you can edit the servers like in 4.5 I seem to remember the only options were:- to update locally,from the internet or from the internet using extended bases as for which server it connects to??
    Steve

15. gelbaum

Thanks for everyone's input. I got rid of ZA and installed Sygate 5 Personal Free (we use Sygate Corporate at work and it works very well for us).

Problems are now gone, KAV updates like a king. Previous problems I had with KAV (not scanning emails) were also attributed to ZA. So I solved 2 problems with one uninstall... :D

Many people probably find ZA and KAV get along well. Not me, I suppose. Just one of those things.

16. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

HI gelbaum....

glad to see your problems fixed. :D

TAS

17. Joerg

Joerg Guest

Yesterday Kaspersky released a bigger update (somewhere around 3.3 MB), maybe this is the reason for the lagging servers.

regards, Joerg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.