KAV settings

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by HiveMaster, Aug 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiveMaster

HiveMaster Guest

Hi there,

I was wondering which database should I use to give the most effective protection? Standard, Extended or Redundant. I want to have a nice balance between performance and malware covered. I currently use Ewido, MS Antispyware, Ad-aware, Spybot, Spyware Blaster too.

I also did a full system scan and it came up with some .bmp files in Ad-aware's skinf folder having exclamation marks beside it. Are they dangerous and what should I do?

Thanks guys.

2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

In your case standard is probably enough, but i would use the extended anyway, just remember to use "Prompt user for action" with the extended. There is no redundant bases anymore btw.

No they are not dangerous, just password protected by Ad-Aware, you see this because you have shifted from "Recommended settings" in on-demand settings, you can just check this option (not to scan passwordprotected files) in the settings, or change back to recommended settings, they are more than enough. :)

3. HiveMaster

HiveMaster Guest

Thanks for the help Don. But I can't seem to find that option. The scan setting was already in the recommended mode. There isn't any advanced options that goes by 'not to scan passwordprotected files'. The only thing that comes close was "Do not prompt for password while scanning objects".

I am using KAV 5.0.383 in case that helps.

4. Don Pelotas

That's the one, it should be checked default with recommended settings, are you sure you didn't uncheck it yourself? Anyway i have the 2006 beta installed ATM, so i just couldn't remember what it was called exactly. :)

5. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Registered Member

Hmm, what does it use then, when I select it?

6. Don Pelotas

The extended. :)

7. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Registered Member

Why did they do away with it?

8. HiveMaster

HiveMaster Guest

Thanks again Don. That option is already ticked by default in the recommended settings. I am guessing that what it means is that enabling that option will cause KAV to not prompt you for files with passwords. If you disable that option, KAV will constantly ask you for passwords for those type of files(an annoying thing). :)

9. Don Pelotas

Duh......i have had one of those days where i have missed quite a lot of points, i thought your initial question was about passwordprotected files were during the scan and not after it had completed............sorry about being a bit slow, but we got there in the end. ;) :D

Last edited: Aug 29, 2005
  10. Don Pelotas

Because they had no meaning to the average user, it consisted only of around 1000 sigs of clean files/programs and a few detections which only sysadmins had any use for, it was a very good decision IMO, to many mistakes could be made by someone thinking this is malware and deleting it, especially if they had Kav in automode. :)

Btw. In Kaspersky 2006 it would not have been possible to delete detections from these bases, there would only be a warning, no option to delete.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.