KAV scanning email?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by gelbaum, Jun 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gelbaum

gelbaum Registered Member

Hi all,

I installed the trial version of KAV5 Personal, after removing NOD32 (I have a license for NOD but thought I would try out KAV after hearing a lot about it).

I turned on maximum protection for the real-time. My question is: how do I know that the email scanner is working? When I click Reports -> Real Time Protection of Email Running..., I get 0 in all the fields (objects scanned, viruses detected etc.).

In NOD32 I inserted a text indicator into every incoming mail + I would check on IMON how many emails were scanned. In KAV, the number seems to stay zero, no matter how many emails I send, get, with/without attachments etc.

I try sending myself test viruses, but my ISP blocks them on the server, so there is no real way for me to check if the email scanning works.

Any input from anyone would be appreciated. Please do not turn this into another NOD32 vs. KAV thread...I am really just evaluating KAV at this stage and want to make sure I indeed check all the feature set.

2. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

It's working. KAV 5.0 has more of an OEM, set it and forget it approach. The less interaction with the user the better.
    Reporting is one area KAV 5.0 falls short.

If you want a more advanced AV, that probably won't offer much more in the way of protection, KAV Personal Pro 5.0 should be out in a couple months.

If you do get an infected email, it will tell you you have one, just won't tell you what virus it is.

3. gelbaum

Thanks for the swift reply!

My problem is that I am somewhat uneasy with the fact that I do not really know if the email scanning is even working, and I prefer to know before I download a nasty... :doubt:

Attached a screen shot of the reports of KAV on my machine. Note that I already uploaded/downloaded a lot of email before and after looking at this screen, and it shows "0" for all entries, as though the emails aren't being scanned.

Suggestions? Or is this a quirk of KAV?

Attached Files:

4. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

For me this no options approach turns me off totally as I too have a license for NOD32. I was curious about KAV and thought it was supposed to be great but I think it is the worst av I have ever tried. It bludgeons your computer even when you try to keep it on a tight rein. I cannot understand why Kaspersky would put their name on this 5.0. Nor do I understand the excuse that it is for OEM's? Gee, my box is OEM and it came with NAV 2003 and my earlier Dell came with McAfee 4.2. I don't think either of those are special editions designed for dummies so I can't understand why KAV would do this and insult their users.

Back to NOD32 for me!

5. tazdevl

Quirk. I don't think emails are counted. Can't remember to be honest. I bought KAV, returned it for a couple issues, waiting to see what the next rev of NOD32 looks like.

6. gelbaum

Well, I cannot risk it. If there is no meaningful indication that KAV scans my emails, there is no way I can be confident in the supposedly superior scanning capabilities that KAV has. I mean, I wanted to move to KAV since NOD did not pick up that PurityScan was malware (my wife downloaded it when I was out of town), and KAV does.

Call me a control freak, but I really need the reassurance that my email is being scanned.

So it's back to NOD, I guess. Or wait for KAV 5 Personal Pro.

7. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

I m using KAV,it scans your mail allright.If you want to verify it ,go to this site ,give them your mail and they ll send you a number of tests:

http://www.gfi.com/emailsecuritytest/

When you ll open Outlook you ll notice that some messages will have "message disinfected" on them.

P.S:The mail test is harmless.

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

gelbaum,

If you need not only the confidence, but absolute assurance, that the mail is being scanned, I'd stick with NOD32. The text message is a good feature, doesn't really impact performance, and it's a visual indicator that all is well when you need it most - while you are handling your mail.

I don't see this type of feature in the e-mail customization menus in KAV WS 5.0 beta, which I believe is a decent model for the feature set in the Pro version. Although I do see the e-mails counted correctly on my KAV 5.0 WS beta (see below).

Although I mainly use KAV, I also use NOD32. It's a first rate AV application that I have a lot of confidence in. It's important to keep in mind that, despite the extensive malware coverage of KAV, in going back to NOD32 you have not settled for less, you have opted for a slightly different operating philosophy.

Too many times, while users try out various AV/anti-malware options, they'll note that one package identifies files resident on the PC missed by others and immediately jump to the conclusion that they were left vulnerable by the other packages. Although that may be the case, it is often not, even in circumstances in which the flag is not a false positive. Some packages will catch the infection and deal with it on an attempted launch with a realtime module, in other cases it's not potentially damaging malware, but annoying spyware or ad-ware that would be adequately handled by another application or even left present without any bad outcome. I may get grief for those comments, but I believe that it is a rational statement of the situation.

If NOD32 fulfills your needs, stick with it and do so with pride!

Blue

Attached Files:

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

BlueZannetti

Very coherent and fair statement. Need more of these type answers here.

10. tazdevl

If anything, diplomacy is one of the hallmarks of blue's posts. :D

11. tazdevl

You have to remember that you're a "enthusiast". Technically Personal 5.0 isn't targeted at you.

Best user paradigm to think of for this product is a parent or grandparent. Do you think they really care about any of the reporting. No, they don't. All they want the AV app to do is run in the background, protect the computer and let them know occasionally that it blocked a virus (maybe not even that). People in this segment have most likely never opened or even interacted with their AV app.

From a chanel perspective, OEMs don't want people calling in, increases overhead. So the quieter the AV app is the better. KAV fits the bill there.

This is why Kaspersky puts their name on it:

http://www.rokop-security.de/main/article.php?sid=693

http://www.rokop-security.de/main/article.php?sid=757

www.av-comparatives.org

Consistently has the highest detections rates of any of the products on the market.

I would also imagine that you don't have the fastest computer if it came with Norton 2003 on it. People need to realize that newer apps are going to be more intensive and might not run as well on a older box. As blue said, two different philosophies between NOD32 and KAV. KAV unpacks and gets the baddies before they execute, NOD32 catches them when they're opened. KAV is going to be harder on older comps, probably why it didn't run well as you hoped it would.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2004
  12. gelbaum

I must say this is an excellent answer to my problem. Non-biased, and factual. THANKS!! :D

13. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I have a top of the line Dell 8300 Dimension 3.0GhZ, 1 gig dual channel DDR SDRAM, Seagate Barracuda SATA 120 gig hard drive. It is seven months old. I asked for NAV 2003 as I was afraid Dell would put 2004 on it. Dell told me no need to ask for 2003 as they had decided to refrain from installing 2004 on their machines. I don't know if that is still the case ....probably not because Symantec finally addressed and fixed the problems Dell was concerned about. NAV 4.0 seven months ago was causing all sorts of major problems on XP SP1 and so I didn't want it and Dell agreed it was causing too many problems and so they were installing NAV 2003 instead.

Actually, I had asked for no av installed and Dell refused. I threw a big fuss about that as I was buying from Small Business division, not the Home division, and they should have honored my request. Dell subsequently changed their policy and now if you buy from Small Business you can request no av be installed. I had a license for NOD32, PC-Cillin and Panda Platinum at the time. No way was I going to let Dell put McAfee 8.0 (which was the other one you could choose) on my new box! Not with that awful Security Center which makes McAfee very difficult to uninstall. So, I agreed to NAV2003 so I could get my computer and then later I made the big fuss about it.

I have never said anything about KAV 5.0 running poorly! It runs just fine. It doesn't slow my box at all. I don't like it because I hate anything that assumes I am a dummy and that I consider my computer to be like a toaster. I resent your reference to what my mother or grandparent!(I haven't had any of those since I was 5 years old) would like...I am 61 years old and I am not a computer dummy and I don't think young folks should assume that just because folks are older that they know nothing about computers and don't want to learn. Considering your computer to be like a toaster has nothing to do with a person's age! The local guru I check with here is in his 70's. I know another woman who can run circles around me regarding computer knowledge and she is in her 90's and is self taught and never touched a computer until a few years ago. I also know many persons in their 30's-40's who are total computer dummies. So age should not be brought up when discussing who would or wouldn't like a dumb AV such KAV 5.0.

As others have said here, at dslr and in the unofficial KAV forum, I would probably like 4.5 because it is very configurable. I was going to try it until I was told that even it doesn't handle quarantine properly. The lack of proper quarantine in NOD32 was one of the main reasons I was interested in another av.

14. tazdevl

NAV 2003 came out in 2002. Which I why I was under the impression you didn't have an uber computer... which a dell is not, but we won't get into that. :p

I think you need to chill out and get yourself a dose of reality. I could care less how old you are and if you're that old, you should know better than to let your feathers get ruffled over such a simple but true issue. When people design software, they do it with a certain user in mind, a user paradigm. I was trying to help you understand why they probably made the decisions they did with KAV 5.0. You design the software for the lowest common denominator of your target market.

Regardless how old you are and how savvy you are for your demographic, in most cases people 50 and up are not as computer savvy as younger folks. This is a proven, documented, well known fact. It has nothing to do with being inept, incompetent or stupid. It's more an issue of lack of exposure to PCs in the work environment, perceived risks in using technology (breaking it), afraid of being perceived as inept (social risk), resistance to change (can't teach an old dog new tricks... LOL JKJKJK), use in school etc... nothing wrong it, just the way it is.

*EDIT - Here's a good user paradigm for you. My father ran a global bank, top 20, in ~70 countries, few years older than you. The man can talk about mainframe technologies, systems and how to implement them in a variety of ways to improve service levels/products in the bank. But he can't copy and paste a document in Outlook, guess who gets the call? Granted he's had PCs around him since the early days, actually started the one of the first home banking products in the US, but generally his admins did most of the work.

Would you say he's stupid? No. Would you say he isn't good with technology, understanding it, is inept or stupid? No. Has he had much exposure to interacting with PCs when you get down to it? No. Do you think he wants to read virus reports or interact with certain applications in the PC he could care less about as long as it is working? No he doesn't.

As a product manager I keep him in mind when I design my products, he is my user paradigm, because if he can use it, generaly everyone else can.

Actually, when you get down to it, folks that have this much interest in AV apps are probably <1% of total PC users. So does it make sense to design it for us or the rest of the market?

15. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

You just made a typical response of someone who has her feathers ruffled. Perhaps you should chill out?

I don't appreciate the smart ass comment about Dell computers either. You seem to feel it necessary to keep telling me how dumb I am. That comes from being overly defensive when you know you are wrong about something.

So take your own advice and chill out and butt out.

16. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Ok folks,

that will be enough. Please stay on topic or the thread will be closed.

snowbound

17. tazdevl

Her? Wrong gender. I pee standing up. *Sigh, appreciation for sarcasm seems to be a lost art.

I didn't say you were dumb at all. You must have been a victim of ageism given your kneejerk responses. As I said, old folks aren't stupid in the least. However, current company excluded, a greater percentage of them are not as good with PCs as younger folks.

See my user paradigm example in my previous post.

There is nothing wrong if you're lacking in some info on how software products are designed. Being defensive doesn't help you open your mind BTW and being on the planet a few more decades doesn't mean you can't stand to learn a few things from folks younger than you that are a bit more experienced in certain fields.

Where am I wrong? Your PC? You seem to think it bothers me more than it really does. :rolleyes: I've been wrong before and it'll happen again.

OK I'm done. LOL this will probably be deleted anyway.

18. Ron Jeremy

Ron Jeremy Guest

Lets get some facts straight..

KAV5 does not append "Scanned" notices to emails. But eXtendia AVK does, and it looks like this:

Also, rumor has it, AVK's quarantine system works perfectly..

So why all the fuss? Seems to me if you want the Kaspersky engine and definitions, theres already a product out there, that has it, and has more features - not to mention a second engine. Its no slant on Kaspersky to buy AVK, after all, you are still supporting Kaspersky in one way or another.

PS: I didn't think anyone that knew anything about computers would actually buy a dell. o_O

Ron

19. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

We need to keep this on topic.( Kav scanning e-mail) not other av's or snide remarks about anothers computer or choice of software

bigc

20. Hyperion

Hyperion Registered Member

Forgive my english.When i said that KAV the mail would have "message disinfected " on it,i meant this:

Attached Files:

21. Gin

Gin Registered Member

hi gelbaum!

KAV 5.0 .142 runs here smoothly and fine; it scans perfectly emails
    I'm also a registered user of NOD32 which is enabled too and works fine

I know that it's not usual to run simultaneously 2 AV ( I've read so much threads 'bout it!) but as said here no prob!

I don't remember the last infection...all is stopped

Hope the same for you guys

my 2 cents

Attached Files:

• kav.jpg
      kav.jpg
      File size:
      19 KB
      Views:
  22. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

doesn't the latest maintenace pack for Kav5 now give report of scanned mail?:-http://forums.useice.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?s=40dead804871ffff;act=ST;f=1;t=535

23. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Hi Gin

Still not recommended to run 2 AV's at the same time. You may have had no problems so far but it would be interesting to see the response of your system when malware is detected.

Theoretically, your way would appear to offer a more secure system but for newbies looking in here you are recommended to run only ONE on-access scanner and any other AV programs as back-up, secondary on-demand scanners.

I hope your system remains stable.

Back on topic.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2004
  24. gelbaum

That's also what I thought, however I still cannot get KAV to let me know if emails are being scanned. I posted my screen shot (3rd post from the top in this thread), and I saw the other screen shot posted that shows the number of emails scanned - this is what I would like to see and cannot. I installed KAV5 on another PC and have the same problem.

Stumped. For some users I see it works, not for me.

25. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Have you the given the KAV service the necessary firewall permissions to act as an e-mail proxy?

Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.