KAV "protection against network" disabled?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by subferno, Apr 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. subferno

subferno Registered Member

All of a sudden today, I turn on the computer and a message appears saying that my computer is vulnerable to virus infection (not exact message but thats what it was basically saying). I went into Kaspersky control panel and it says

"Real time protection is not entirely enabled: error starting task "protection against network attacks", this may result in a virus infection of your computer"

I have real time protection to the max setting and looked in the individual settings and the network attack features was uncheck, meaning it is enabled already.

I already did a complete system scan and found nothing.

I need advice as to what I should do next.

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

The network protection module is a "mini-Firewall" included with KAV. If you already have a firewall it shouldnt matter.

However, since the task is not starting properly, I recommend you try reinstalling KAV. Or you can wait for advice from the KAV experts ;)

3. bloodscourge

bloodscourge Registered Member

Hi,

Personally, I reinstalled KAV personal 5.0.227 to get rid of networks attacks protection (and istreams, but that's another story...). If you have a good firewall, I think it's useless and sometimes annoying (detects DNS servers as attackers :doubt:, poor control over this feature...). Just my 2 cents ;)

Attached Files:

• kav.jpg
      kav.jpg
      File size:
      29.8 KB
      Views:
  4. subferno

subferno Registered Member

I do have a router and OutPost firewall installed already. I am just curious as to why I suddenly got this message. Something must have changed my system for it to give me that error.

5. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Since you are using a software firewall, the IDS module should not be enabled as recommended by Kaspersky

Therefore, the error messages you are seeing may be a conflict between OutPost and the KAV IDS.

If you do not select the "Use protection against network attacks", you will see a yellow exclamation symbol in the real-time protection part of the main GUI.This is not a problem, as KAV is simply alerting you to the fact that not all real time options are enabled.

You can also check out these KAV Tuning tips.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.