KAV Personal Pro 4.5 and 5.0 (comparison)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by TeknO, May 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeknO

TeknO Registered Member

Could you compare KAV Personal Pro 4.5.0.97 with KAV Personal Pro 5.0.20 ?
    What are the advantages or disadvantages of new and old versions ?
    Do you prefer to use KAV Personal Pro 4.5.0.97 instead of 5.0.20 ? If YES, Why ?
    Thanks and regards.

2. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi TeknO,

The primary reason I have removed Pro from my system and am now using 4.5 Pro, is because there is no way to fully suppress ADS in the Pro version during installation, so I would get ADS as soon as I startup KAV, something I did not want. There were other things I didn't like, but I cannot remember them. Personal MP3 seems like a much better product than the Pro product given its new features, and I was considering moving from 4.5 Pro to the new 5.0 Person MP3 version, but I have decidied not to, because:

1) the supersecure version of the KAV database is not available with MP3 as of yet (I did not want to reduce my security)

2) 5.0 MP3 has a start-up scan that takes a long time and cannot be suppressed.

As far as I can tell, 5.0 products do not increase security in any way (in fact they decrease the amount of security I would have), so there deosn't seem to be any incentive to move to the new version. Kaspersky has stated that they will continue to support the 4.5 detection engine and database for the foreseaable future. I think I will move to 6.0, when it becomes available, probably next year sometime.

Hope this helps a bit,
    Rich

3. TeknO

TeknO Registered Member

I did some e-mail virus tests with KAV Personal Pro 4.5 and KAV Workstation 4.5. I sent some test e-mails to my e-mail address with using tests of www.webmail.us and http://www.gfi.com/emailsecuritytest. But, KAV 4.5 didn't detect any of them !!! What is the problem? Or, How can i setup KAV 4.5 for e-mail virus security?
    By the way, are there any differences between KAV 4.5 Personal Pro and KAV 4.5 Workstation?
    Thanks.

4. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi TeknO,

I am not familiar with 4.5's email processing, since I use online email software. However, Don monitors this forum and I am sure he will be able to help you out. Don also hangs out at Kaspersky's official forum at:

http://forum.kaspersky.com/

You may be able to get more information there.

Rich

5. TeknO

TeknO Registered Member

By the way, I am using Outlook 2003 (pop3/smtp)

6. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi TeknO

There is a outlook plugin in 4.5 pro AFAIK, but there is no pop3, you have to use 5.0 to have in/outgoing mailscan, out is disabled by default in both Personal & Pro, but can be enabled in the settings

If this is a home computer i see no reason to buy pro, pro is more configurable, but detection is the same and when 6/2006 comes after summer (first beta within 2-3 weeks) there will with 90% certainty "only" be two home versions, Kav 6/2006 & Kis2006.

Pro will of course still receive upgrades, in maintenance pack 2 of pro, it will incorporate the enhancements that Personal just received + some specific for pro, but don't expect to see it in a month or two, most likely after summer. :)

Last edited: May 28, 2005
  7. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Don,

Thanks for the info. As always, your posts are very informative.

Rich

8. TeknO

TeknO Registered Member

Hi Don, Thanks.

9. marceli7

marceli7 Registered Member

I am wondering what they will decide about future upgrade versions if they drop Pro. KAV5 Personal=KAV2006, KAV5 Pro=?
    U know that Pro version price is much higher then Personal.
    PS: IMHO KAV5Personal is now much better then Pro :doubt:

10. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

They are only droppng the name, 2006 will in terms of configurability & features be like pro with added things like the proactive-defense.

I have asked about this (futureupgrades), and there is no final answer, marketing is still pondering what route to take. :)

11. TeknO

TeknO Registered Member

I prefer to use KAV6 or KAV2006. Anti-hacker needs more improvement. KIS2006 isn't good choice for me because of anti-hacker. I'll wait for KAV6 or KAV2006 (not KIS2006) :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.