KAV Personal & Personal Pro

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trickyricky, May 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

What are the main differences between KAV Personal & Personal Pro? I've looked on the Kaspersky web site but can't see any useful comparison chart or list which details the differences between these two products.

They are both called Personal, so both aimed at home users, yet the Pro version is twice the size of the non-Pro version and also twice the price. I know KAV has an excellent reputation, so I'm puzzled; If the Personal Pro gives this legendary best-of-the-best virus protection, does that mean that the Personal version gives less protection? That I find hard to believe. That said, if the Personal version gives what seems to be today's ultimate protection against viruses, does the Personal Pro version give other kinds of protection (spyware, adware perhaps?) as it can't be better that the Personal version. Or can it?

Please help me see the light.

Oops, I'm obviously extremely confused as I've posted this in the wrong forum. Could a kind mod please move it?

Last edited: May 29, 2005
  2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Kav Pro and personal give the same protection, Pro will give you more control on on demand scans and settings.

3. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

If you are a homeuser, then you should use Personal, they have the same detection as BigC says. Pro has more configurability and better macrodetection (Pro-active protection), but Personal has macro detection through signatures as well. :)

4. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

Thanks both. I can now see the light, although it's still some way off at the end of this tunnel.

I am a home user, but my home is also my office and I'm a tech support geek. So although I could be classed as a "power user", I have no need for a server/workstation solution or a LAN remote deployment facility as my LAN only has 2 PCs on it most of the time.

I think I'll grab the trial version of KAV personal and give it a run. If I feel the need for extra settings to meddle with, I'll move on to the Personal Pro and see how that fares.

Cheers.

5. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Ok, good idea, Personal has an IDS btw, if you run into conflicts with your firewall then disable it: http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=897

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.