KAV is better than Antivir ?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by fred128, Jan 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

Thanks for your advice. I know this is off topic but I don't know where else to post the question and this thread seems to be the hot topic of the day. Can I ask you why you feel that KAV is better than Antivir?

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Re: ZAP/ZASS 7.0.302.000

I'm only familiar with KAV from reading the posts on the forums. I've never seen a negative review. To be honest I don't recognize your PE AV. Sometimes abbreviations throw me. :D

3. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

They throw me too...Antivir Personal Edition (free version)

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

If you are comparing Kav to Antivirs freebie, well email scanning for one, Antivir doesnt do it. Kav is a great AV, and Antivir paid is to. It is a toss up of the 2.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  5. lodore

lodore Registered Member

kav 6.0 and antivir free and paid are both great av's hard to choice which one.
    if you want one that does its job no popups choices antivir.
    or uninstall pdm in kav 6.0
    or if you dont mind popups use kav6.0 with pdm.
    lodore

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I tried the Avira sulite, and liked it. However, I had the same problems with it as the other versions. I am not sure why such a capable group cannot solve the update, guard not starting, and the icon showing the guard not working problems. I finally gave up on it. With several excellent AVs I don't have the inclination to bother long with one that is causing me problems, even if they are not major troubles.

Avira has the potential to be one of the very best, but as of now I much prefer KAV or FSIS 2007. I have not tried KIS 6, and don't think Kaspersky would let me trial it since I have tried the KAV on this laptop. I might try it and see at some future date.
    Best,
    Jerry

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I would go with Antivir.

8. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

I think Antivir premium edition is mach better than kaspersky 6.0:

1. Better detection
    2. Much better heuristic
    3. Take less memory
    4. Much faster

:)

sorry for my english

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

kaspersky gets my vote easily here, yes lodore, you heard me right. *lol*

sure avira has a slightly better detection, faster scanning speed...but, have you tried scanning single-file viruses using avira, lots of them, it turns from the fastest scanner, to the slowest (by far), i do understand users machines wont have 40,000 single file viruses, but still, why is it sooo slow on them? took over 2 hours on my dual core laptop to scan 2.2gb of single file viruses, while kaspersky was a normal scanning speed, even dr.web which is known for slow scanning did it in 16 minutes, however if they wasnt single file and was .rar'ed up, avira was once again the fastest scanner, maybe something avira could work on, single file viruses (scanning speed).

10. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

This person who posted that thread want AV to defend himself from viruses not for test single-file viruses in his machine.
    And... wich AV detected in your 2.2 gb file more viruses? :rolleyes:

11. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

Well, my opinion is that:

1. Remember that KAV has always been on the top or near it on all the AV tests I have seen, while Antivir is kinda "newcomer" on good detection rates.

2. No discussion about heuristics, but lets wait KAV´s new ones, and remeber also PDM helps a lot here.

3. IMO, KAV/KIS are very light and I have tested it against others...

4. Well, much faster? a full scan with iSwift and iChecker enabled can be about 30 to 15 minutes...

12. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

1.Remember that we are talking about AV in realtime, not in 20th century...

2.Why wait KAV's new heuristic when we have Antivir's heuristic (best heuristic today in the world)?

3.Antivir is more light on resources.

4.Antivir is faster in realtime protection also...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2007
  13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Ditto, I am tired of monkeying around with these so called betas. They are all wannabes. Go with Antivir and you will have peace of mind. Better yet, buy the suite and have REAL PIECE OF MIND.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2007
  14. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I doubt that the difference between 99.57 and 99.06 is going to keep one safer one way or the other. While Avira does have better heuristics, I believe that KAV will do as well at keeping malware off the computer.

Aside from that, however, after the first scan and using the settings available, KAV completes a system scan in about 6 minutes. As far as I know no other AV is close to that time.

I agree that if just raw detection numbers are the most important or only criterion, then Avira is the best. However, if you want one that runs well on your machine Avira is not the best on all. It certainly was not on mine. It can only be determined by trial. If you want the fastest scanning speed then KAV is the tops.

It is good that there are several superb AVs so that each user can determine which best meets his own needs. All one can get by questions are opinions and experiences of others. While that is very useful, if one wants to get the best for him he must trial several, and make his decision after that.

Best,
    Jerry

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

well i only tested dr.web against avira.

dr.web 80.5%
    avira 84%

but avira failed to remove more and had a 2hrs scan of the files, instead of dr.webs 16 minutes.

kaspersky wins in this test, ive never heard of update problems, mail scanning problems etc with them

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

maybe Chris, but it is what it is moving that scares dummys like me. Sorry, sticking with what I fell for and has also stuck by me.

17. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

both will protect you ... probably most avs discussed on this forum will be good enough, but i gave my verdict on the 2 mentioned, its just my opinion, im not afraid to voice it trjam :D
    anyway, gonna go do a dell full restore as its getting bloated with too much crap, its easily and faster to do this than to search for everything and remove it, takes 5 minutes. :)

18. tsilo

tsilo Registered Member

How can Kaspersky win in this test if you tested only Dr.Web an Antivir? :D

I think It's better to do scan 2hrs and detect more viruses..

19. nameless

nameless Registered Member

I've really got to get started on writing that review of KAV... :)

20. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I've have a license for KAV and Avira SS. I know this is about AntiVir, but Avira has the same AV engine. I did like the way AntiVir/Avira ran on my computer. The only reason I uninstalled it, was because of the firewall and mailguard shutting down on occasion. I got to the point where I was opening the GUI constantly just to see if the firewall was enabled. I didn't like worrying about that all the time. I also saw questions about this at the AntiVir forum. For this reason, I started using KAV. KAV runs very light on my machine also.

21. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

well KAV's http scanner and its PDM give it an advantage over Antivir.

the reason i choose KAV though is because i trust its detection. for as long as i knew Kaspersky, it was always touted for its superior detection.

Antivir just recently surpassed KAV, but its still a good AV in itself.

22. dah145

dah145 Registered Member

Using one of the both AVs will be always a good election, I use Kaspersky mainly because it has always been my favorite AV :D, its detection rates has always been good, never an update problem (updating three times per hour) , since v.6 light on resources and a great ultimate layer of protection with PDM, also I like KIS, the best suite IMO, much better than Avira´s, and a great support forum leaded by Don Pelotas, Lucianbara among others.

23. malcan

malcan Registered Member

It's only on AV-Comparative's test last summer, right?
    KAV constantly beats AntiVir in any on demand scan test.
    Having said that, I agree with you because AntiVir is much lighter & faster and KAV's heuristic seems awful.
    But, I prefer KAV because it's been very solid quite a while and, for now, KAV or NOD32 is the best AV software to the majority people. (AntiVir is very promising, though.)
    So, I don't think you should push ur opinion on others like that.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2007
  24. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i think kaspersky runs faster than avira, especially on boot up.

cant quite remember the time difference of kasperskys boot up but i tried avira and it seemed a bit sluggish, maybe cos im running dr.web now, as it is super light, but i dont remember kaspersky being 'sluggish' at times. (well, appart from the http scanning if settings were too high) *lol*

although i aint convinced by KIS, i think kav have it spot on for antivirus, i think avira are a long way off the quality you get, detection rate isnt everything, and kasperskys is 99% anyway.

25. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

No comparison. avira is MUCH faster at boot....MUCH...compared to KAV. KAV takes forever at boot. I used to have wait a long while and I don't have to wait at all with avira. That difference was one of the first things I noticed. F-Prot was fast at boot also ...only KAV was noticably slow. This is just one observation out of many I could make some favorable to avira and some favorable to KAV. I'm not saying one is better than the other...just making this observation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.