KAV as a backup scanner to NOD32, necessary when you have eScan MWAV?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Matt_Smi, Jun 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

NOD32 is my main AV and the only one I run in real time. I have several on demand scanners including Dr. Web CureIT, A2 and Ewido Free and of course Ad-Aware and Spybot, I also recently setup the eScan MWAV 4.4.7 toolkit. Before I had eScan, I was considering purchasing KAV and setting it up for on-demand scans only, disabling all real time components so it would not conflict with NOD. But since eScan uses the KAV engine and database would you agree that this would be overkill, esp since KAV costs money. I am sure KAV would offer me a lot eScan does not, namely a much better interface and more scanning options, but I don’t really care about that, I just care about having a solid on-demand AV scanner to back NOD32, and eScan (plus Dr. Web) seem to do that very well for free. I am sure KAV may be able to better detect packed malware and such, but I don’t think that the purchase would benefit me much. Your thoughts?

2. sard

sard Registered Member

3. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I had read of several people having KAV as a backup scanner with NOD so I tried it. I kept KAV turned off. My system slowed to a crawl. I had to remove KAV. It wouldn't work for me.

4. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Did you try it with version 4.5? The reason I ask is because you can choose to install the scanner and updater only, which may prove to be less problematic than version 5.

5. hadi

hadi Guest

Hi
    No need to keep more than one AV and clog your system. I don’t keep two AVs. Use online scanners. I use Kaspersky Anti-Virus Web Scanner and MWAV. I recommend KAV web scanner ( quite good). However in case of emergencies like cleaning a computer from spywares etc. use mwav.exe in SAFE MODE

Unzip the 'mwav.exe' into directory 'c:\bases'(IT IS A MUST) Open the folder and double click 'kavupd.exe' to get the latest signatures . If you get “the signatures are more than 30 days old”. Keep trying.
    Close all windows, all browsers, all programs. work in SAFE MODE. Start a full scan [tick Memory, StartUp-Folders, Drives, All Local Drives, Registry and INI Files, System Folders and Services,then double click on 'mwavscan.com' (c:\bases): Cilck on 'Scan clean' be patient it takes looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time

6. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

I had a similar issue, but it turned out it wasn't necessarily KAV's fault, but the co-existance of both of them, as I found that removing either one solved the problem!

7. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Did you custom install Kav without istreams (alternative data streams) as these caused probs with other AVs for me in the past.Actually have Nod 32 beta as realtime,Vet and Kav as on demand.

Vet and Nod's interface come into play nearly instantly whereas Kav takes a few secs.After Kav starts it still scans around 1200 or so files which annoys me as I have turned off starup scans.

Updating of all three AV's have no problems.

8. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Is this with the new version, 5.0.325?

If I disable the startup scan of this version via the settings of the on-demand scanner, then I am consistently seeing only 0-2 files being scanned. Therefore, it appears to be working here.

9. Franklin

Yep,it is the latest version.I'll go back and recheck settings and let you know if I stuffed up.

10. BornMember

BornMember Registered Member

Hi Matt

eScan toolkit as an on demand scanner is sufficient especially when you have Nod as your primary real time AV. There will be no significant benefit to purchase KAV and add it to your collection. With ewido, ad-aware and spybot you should be alright with detecting spy and mal ware.

This will also keep you away from the probs. others seem to face "Did you try it with version 4.5?" "5, 4.5," LOL

Born

11. Franklin

Err Blackcat,yep I stuffed up. :doubt: .Had to tick startup,memory and boot in the on demand settings.No files are checked on startup now.Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

12. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Good to hear.

But don't forget to switch back to default settings when carrying out an on-demand scan.

13. patermann

patermann Registered Member

I haven't tried KAV but, at one point, I did have two AVs installed but with the real-time scanner of one disabled. After downloading updates on one occasion, I started getting blue screens as soon as I tried to do anything, even directly after a reboot, so I did a selective boot up with prompts (Win98SE). I found that both AVs were loading VXDs on boot-up so I stopped those from one of the AVs from loading and this enabled me to get the PC up for long enough to uninstall that AV. Since then, I have been very wary of having two AVs installed at the same time. Perhaps both NOD32 and KAV add VXDs and then these interact with each other?

Related note: After seeing BitDefender free recommended, I recently decided to try it out. I believed that it was an on-demand only scanner but, having installed it, I found that it had added at least 4 entries to the list of startup programs! I can see another troubleshooting session coming up...

patermann

14. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

That was the other reason that I would rather not run KAV, even if set up for on-demand there can still be compatibility problems between two AV’s and I don’t want to deal with that. I think I will be more than fine with the eScan toolkit.

Yea I like BD a lot but for an on-demand scanner to run 5 items at startup and two processes is the background even when it’s not in the system tray is a bit much. I don’t have it on this machine, but it is on another computer in my house and it runs along AVG free just fine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.