KAV 6 beta.... Should it go?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by dja2k, Jul 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Seriously I have gave KAV 6.0.13.177 latest beta a try and all previous versions. First of all, that port 80 stuff not being fixed. Some trouble with firewalls like Zonealarm which I use. Also some strange things happen like slowdowns on the computer when accessing files with a bouch of EXE files. Also slowdowns of the computer when downloading using Ares and Shareaza. On downloads, the KAV goes wild checking ever little piece that is coming in. Today my computer lagged for about five minutes before it came alive and responded again , while I didn't retart nor the mouse freezed, but no programs nor taskbar could run. Still not giving up on future builts of KAV 6 though I might have to go with NOD32 for now. What is your opinion on the KAV 6 vs NOD32 beta in reguards to detection of viruses, spyware, adware etc (spyware and adware in reguards to KAV having specific detection of it in the extra settings)?

dja2k

P.S.
    This thread is not meant to put any of these two great antivirus programs down and name one better than the other. I just want to know the problems that both have and see which one is better to use for now and temperary.

2. SSK

SSK Registered Member

With NOD32 beta you mean the x64 beta?

KAV/KIS 2006 is pre-beta quality ATM. So no guarantees that it works. As you noticed, there are a lot of problems with some of the new components.

I have no idea about the stability/completeness of the NOD32 beta. So I can't give you a driection to go. :)

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Try disabling the IDS module. It can conflict and Kaspersky do not recommend enabling it if you have a sofware firewall already installed.

Your other problems are probably due to using pre-beta software.

Have you tried posting on the official KAV forums and reporting your problems there?

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showforum=16

You cannot fairly compare the NOD beta and the present "alpha" KAV 2006.

IME, the last NOD beta was very stable but as far as I know it is no longer available since the last "gold" version was released.

4. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Actually what I understood, the only pre-beta was 6.0.12.174a. All others are beta actually. The 6.0.12.17a is the public release pre-beta version. Thanks anyways.

dja2k

5. fosius

fosius Registered Member

I have never used KAV but I am using NOD32 for very long time.
    » KAV has hourly updates, NOD32 once a day (sometimes more)
    » NOD32 has the strongest heuristic engine which can detect a lot of new threats so that you're protected immediately when new threats appeared.
    » KAV uses a lot of resources, NOD32 uses minimum resources so that you cannot notice any slowdown.

6. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

no they are all pre beta version of kav.

they will soon release a beta version of kav but not yet.

7. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Fosius, at least the resource use of KAV 2006 should be less then KAV 5 (closer to NOD32).

Dja2k, KAV/KIS 2006 is still pre-beta. The official beta is postponed, because they are redesigning part of the core (web-AV etc.) :)

8. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

OKay understand about the pre-beta from you guys, must of read false posts somewhere else, sorry for that. So anyways about NOD32, how about the new one posted here https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=84828 and about KAV, the IDS module you are talking about is the WEB Anti-Virus or what. I mean I can work fine with it disabling port 80, but you think the rest of that module is causing problems. I am using za pro, so I don't need the IDS Module active? Does that mean it doesn't protect while surfying, cause this KAV version has gotten some trojan downloaders off the net that the old KAV 5 Pro didn't. Does anyone know when they plan to fix this IDS conflict problem?

dja2k

9. marceli7

marceli7 Registered Member

Yeah! Kav5Pro uses a lot of resources! For ex. as I write it grabs as many as:
    kav.exe- 872KB
    kavsvc.exe- 8,436KB
    ;)

10. Blackcat

No. The IDS Module and the HTTP scanner in the new KAV 6 are different.

Take a look here.

I doubt whether they will provide a fix for any conflicts as this network module is not supposed to be used with a software firewall.

11. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

You cannot judge Kav 6 & Nod32 fairly ATM, Nod32 2.5 is a release and Kav 6 is at the beginnig of it's beta-stage which will probably last another 2-4 months, so there will be bugs/problems thats what the whole beta-periode is about, ironing out the bugs/problems found during this stage and thats why it's free too.

Betas should not be used as your primary AV on a computer you depend upon for daily use/work (although i do ;)).

If you are real sneaky, you could install the Nod-trial, use it for a month and then see how far the Kav 6 (2006 beta) is with regards to stability/bugs. I can of course not endorse such an elaborate arrangement. ;) :D

12. Fumens

Fumens Registered Member

Never used KAV but you can comment like these?...You just read them from other thread and posted here. I believe other members in this forum just got a new kind of joke.

13. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I decided to put back on KAV beta. It's working fine with ZAP, even with IDS enabled (I enabled it because ZAP has no real IDS.) This is the latest KAV beta, 6.0.12.174A. With Sygate and Kerio 4, I can't get on the internet at all, no matter what the settings in the KAV beta. If you just use one of the two AVs, I'd pick KAV for its amount of signatures and updates. I personally have NOD32 installed as backup - ready to use as main AV if there are problems with KAV.

14. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

176 is the latest
    edit: no wait its 177

15. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

Wow they are releasing betas quickly.. thanks for the info.

16. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

I always found KAV products to be good with detections, but BUGGY products. Thus I avoid them, and run Dr.Web instead, never noticed a bug with it.

17. derway

derway Registered Member

For me, even KAV 5 is as light, or lighter than NOD 2.5.

When both are set to max protection, they are both unnoticeable as far as app startup times, window/menu operations, etc.

But when the system is loaded with a low prio CPU intensive background process, like setiathome, NOD32 does not behave well at all. I'm talking 20-30 seconds, to a minute or more, at times, to get task manager to pop open! And I have a pretty swift machine, that normally open task manager in less than a second.

KAV takes is all in stride.

Don

18. Blackcat

That's why we always suggest to trial different software.

Because of different software/hardware configurations, what works well on one machine may not work very well on another!

19. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

Those have not yet been released as beta! - they are pre-beta (alphas, if you will). Don P can verify that and as such they should be used with extreme caution!

20. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

It didn't work as well anyway. I think I'll stay with NOD32 until KAV 6 final comes out, because the 5 version is buggy on my computer.

21. pvsurfer

Hmm, must be something else going on in your comp, as KAV 5 has a solid reputation, to say the very least!

22. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

No, because other AVs run fine.. you haven't seen the other complaints? I have.

23. pvsurfer

I truly don't want to argue this point - obviously you should use whatever works best for you (with the least problems)! ;)

24. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

I definitely WANT to use KAV, though. I'm hoping that the beta gets its more major problems worked out soon.

25. richrf

richrf Registered Member

I've noticed that lots of problems with KAV installation are due to very poor installation procedures that are packaged with KAV. While it reflects very poorly on the company, those that would like to avert these problems should visit the Kaspersky support forums, and read Don's messages. He provides excellent instructions on how to install KAV. Igor, from Kaspersky support, has also posted messages instructed current users on how to remove old versions so that they can safely install new versions. Far from optimal, but doable. I find the effort worth it, because KAV (once you get it installed) is incredibly good at catching trojan malware (even identifying some really well cloaked ones that were hidden in ADS files and missed by TDS-3 and Ewido).

Rich

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.