KAV 6-after Hotfix ???

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Perman, Jul 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi folks:I have KAV 6 which was upgraded from v.5 a while ago. I remember that within the original v6.0.0.299, the protection section lists File anti-virus, Web anti-virus, Mail anti-virus and Proactive Defense. After few updates, it has upgrated to build 300. Lately, I notice in that protection section, Web anti-virus and Mail anti-virus are gone. And product info indicates it has hotfix b.c.c. I just wonder (1) has anyone had a similar situation? (2) if it is true, are web surfing and mail traffic still fully protected?

2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

As long as you have the hot fix designation "bc", then you're fully up to date.

3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I wouldn't leave it that way. You can't configure those two modules if they are missing and I would think you are not protected. I don't have those modules because I didn't install either but if you originally had them you should have them currently seems to me.

I still have .299. KAV never upgraded me to .300.

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Mele,

I cannot be of much help except to say that I have .300, hotfix b.c and all four of the modules, including Web and Mail av modules, are present.

Best,
    Jerry

5. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,Folks: If you surf to KAV's web site, at Technical News section, you will see the following: on 05/22--v.6.0.0.300 is a critical fix to 299; I would suggest you to install this build immediately. On 05/26---errors in HTTP web antivirus monitor and POP3 monitor handling; I suspect the removal of web antivirus and mail antivirus modules have a significant link. I believe the Hotfix b.c.c is an assurance of its effectiveness.

6. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: I went to KAV forum and noticed that someone asked whether his updated(today) hotfix version is up to date(6.0.0.300 a.a.b.c.c.a.c.). I have b.c.c. and the other poster has b.c. Confusing indeed. I have no luck finding any related info on KAV's d/l site. Therefore, I guess we NEED someone to calm the vast users of KAV 6. Are we fully protectedo_O?:isay:

7. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

It doesn't make much sense, does it? I have noticed that my KAV6 updates several times per day. However, I admit that I have no idea what a hotfix is or why all .300 versions do not agree when they have been updated.

I would seem if one needed hotfixes b.c.c, then why do not all need them? If so, why are not all receiving it?

Jerry

8. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,Folks: I post the same question @ KAV,s forum, and got a reply, although, it not very convincing. It appears that both b.c. and b.c.c. are v.6.0.0.300's most recent hotfixes.

9. SSK

SSK Registered Member

KAV / KIS build 299 -> hotfixes a.b.c

KAV / KIS build 300 -> hotfixes b.c (hotfix a and other small non-critical updates are included in the basic build 300 installer).

What about aaaaaaaaa.bbbbbbbbbbbb.ccccccccc updates? The Kaspersky updater system is not completely stable for some people, result is that sometimes hotfies are downloaded a couple of times, and each time the hotfix letter is added to the list. Strange, but nothing to worry about.

This should solve any and all questions, please be advised that above info IS available on the Kaspersky forum (in at least ten different threads), the only thing needed is READING the threads :D

10. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Actually that was very correct info, what makes you say it was not very convincing? o_O

If you have KAV/KIS build 299 with hotfixes a.b.c or KAV/KIS build 300 with hotfixes b.c, then you're up to date.

Regarding the "aabbbccc" that some are seeing, that's because unfortunately there was a problem with the completely new updater system which meant that for some the hotfixes would be installed again and again, if you feel unsure about if the hotfixes are correctly applied, then the cure is to uninstall 6.0, reboot and reinstall, update the bases and then reboot when it asks for it, then you have "bc" which is the most recent program update.:)

11. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,folks: Thank you for the timely replies. Now, I am entirely convinced. And I can sleep at nignt. Thank you.:thumb:

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks to all.
    I was not worried about my security, but it did raise a question as to why the difference. Now I know, and it is also good to hear from the "expert."

Regards,
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.