KAV 6.0

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Honyak, Mar 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

2. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

Already installed here, working great. :thumb:
    Downloaded it at Betanews. :)

3. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

The DEV team worked very hard for this! Congrats to all of them! The deserve it.. :)

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Calm down guys. It is real close, but not final yet. There are still some issues.

Pete

5. Kilauea

Kilauea Registered Member

It is final. 6.0.299 ;)

Kilauea

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Sure enough. Just saw the neat picture of the team.

7. TradeMark

TradeMark Registered Member

one question:)
    Meaning when beta version was released, then after the beta version what have they improved after the beta is finished?? ?

8. Kilauea

Kilauea Registered Member

Sorry, i do not understand you. :(
    They have improved all issues reported by testers and then released the final version.
    This Final version will appear on the official downloadservers in the next days.
    I guess monday.

Kilauea

9. DonKid

DonKid Registered Member

Yes, you're right.
    Probably monday.

Excellent work KL Team.:D

Best Regards,

DonKid.

10. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

From my testing experience, it's certanly not mature for Final, even though they might call it like that. Progress is heavily noticeable, though i'd give them at least 1 more week to polish their work. Better (a bit) late than sorry:D

11. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Granted that some tweaks are still necessary, particularly with the HTTP scanner and the ProActive Defense but they are already considering what will appear in the MP1!

But this is still a fine release, particularly when compared to the "gold" release of other software programs.

Overall, the KL team and all the Mods and beta testers should be congratulated on a fine sustained effort :thumb:

12. feverfive

feverfive Registered Member

13. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Here are my testing results against some sites opening times with KAV 2006 6.0.0.299.

Maybe KAV 6 HTTP scan is still a bit slow even with the STREAMING option selected and Application Integrity Control disabled.

http://virusscan.jotti.org/ -- mine opens = 19.188 sec

http://scanner.virus.org/ -- mine opens = 21.630 sec

Maybe KAV 6 without HTTP scan is enough fast for me now.

http://virusscan.jotti.org/ -- mine opens = 2.687 sec

http://scanner.virus.org/ -- mine opens = 6.312 sec

Here are those results with BitDefender 9.5 Standard.

http://virusscan.jotti.org/ -- mine opens = 2.719 sec

http://scanner.virus.org/ -- mine opens = 6.656 sec

I was using Firefox 1.5.0.1 browser. By using Firefox's "Fasterfox 1.0.3" extension, which shows the page loading time on the bottom right, if you have set up that in it's settings.

I have closed the browser and cleaned cache, history and cookies first. Then I have started the Firefox again and measured those upload times in each case.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

14. Blackcat

Kaspersky release maintenance packs (MP's)to correct known issues or to add more features.

Some MP1 suggestions already posted.

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Maintenance packs are meant for bugs found after release. I wonder who would simply leave known bugs to some upcoming MP already at the release of program? It's just wrong.

16. Blackcat

Not many programs are released bug-free ;)

You must know about Games software who are notorious for releasing Patches soon after the full release.

Commercial pressures dictate release dates, often meaning that the software is not quite ready. But not in THIS case.

IMO, Kaspersky have made a fine effort here particularly with the new features added in this version. The extensive beta-testing has produced a much better first release than KAV 4/5.

Further, tweaking or custom installing some features will give you a very stable, excellent AV.

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

What pressure? There was no official release date and still isn't any.
    Well it suppose to be out but imo it shouldn't be.
    No, no program is bug free, but i noticed 3 bugs right after i installed KAV6 build 6.0.299. So no, thats not ok. Not to mention 1 of these 3 bugs is still present even though i reported it twice as beta tester. Well 3 times if you include this time. Get it now?

18. medz

medz Registered Member

why not just use it...its obvious it will have bugs and stuff but thats why the application module update in on it...so when newer versions and builds come out its updates it automatically for u?

or am i totall wrong...i dont see the difference of waiting...just use it and when the new build comes out it will update it for u

19. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I don't think thats the case for KAV. You had to download new builds manually for KAV5. Program Updates are for smaller stuff i belive.
    Otherwise beta testing would include automatic program updating but it didn't.
    We had to manually upgrade to new builds.

20. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

Maybe a stupid question. What kind of infections you can prevent with this HTTP scan option? I have tried DrWeb and KAV 6, but they both slows down the sites opening far too much. Is this option only a marketing thing? Maybe Avast 4.6, if it really has that option too, has got it working! :doubt:

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

21. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

Good question. I'd like to know the answer to that also. When I tried KAV 6, HTTP scanning slowed my PC down too much for my liking. Switching to Streaming didn't help. Is HTTP scanning that important?

22. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Webscanner can stop malware from being stored on your pc (browser cache, plugin cache etc.) and can help to stop exploit code like the current IE6 exploits that crash the browser.

Is it important? That one I leave to your one conclusion :)

23. chia

chia Registered Member

I just installed 6.0.0.299 yesterday after seeing it was going to be the final build and gotta say that I'm impressed. I do not notice any slow down at all with the http scanner enabled with default settings. Looks like I'll be going with this for awhile now. I like it. :)

24. metallicakid15

metallicakid15 Registered Member

one of the many cases why avast detected the wmf expliot first out of anyone was because of http\web scanner
    so thats why http\web scanner is important

25. smith2006

smith2006 Registered Member

HTTP \ Web scanner might open up a hole in the firewall as traffic is proxied through it.

Unauthorised applications (those without any specific fire rules) can still access the web via this channel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.