Kav 5.0 149 question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mr2cents, Oct 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

I'm doing a 30 day trial of kav version 5.0.149 personal. I really like it. However there is one thing that is really irritating me. During bootup kav scans my floppy drive, which is empty. The floppy drive makes a very irritating noise...click clack, click clack. cilck clack.LOl :eek:

This only happens for a couple of seconds, but it's about to drive me nuts :rolleyes: How can I confiigure kav to not scan the floppy drive at bootup? I went and disabled the floppy drive in the hardware section last night. That did the trick, but I don't want the floppy drive disabeled :D Other than this minor annoyance, I am very happy with kav, and will probably purchase it at the end of my 30 day trial.

Heres my operation system if needed: "windows me" system restore disabled. 700 mhz intel celeron processor, 192 mb of ram.

2. MaLaKiOs

MaLaKiOs Registered Member

Hi there,
    Unfortunately i can not answer your question since i dont know the answer :(
    But i agree with you saying that KAV is a very good program. I like it too.
    You should download version 5.0.156.
    The only thing i dont like with KAV is that when you scan your hard disk it finds a lot of files which are protected and can not scan them. I tried other antivirus programs but none had this issue. I dont know if this is good or bad.
    Anyways... i still think that KAV is probably the best antivirus program out there :D

3. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

This is a known bug and there is SOME *discussion about this problem on KAV Board . No fix is available yet.

tECHNODROME

4. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Mr2cents:

I think you will be happy, i have used Kav 5.0 since the start and haven't looked back. A major update is coming in the next 2-3 weeks, a "minor" one has just been released look Here for more details it's up to you want the hassle of uninstalling .149 and installing .156 with the major one so close. :)

MaLaKiOs said:
    This is normal, they are in use by Windows or are password protected, another fine antivirus like Nod32 will give the same result, they are just being honest. :)
    I'll drink to that. ;) :D

5. Mr2cents

Thanks for replying Technodrome. Didn't know about this bug. I've enabled drive a again. I think I may take a low tech approach to solve this problem. A new pair of earplugs he-he :D

To MaLaRIOS : Kav can't scan password protected zip files on my computer either. Unless I enter the password, which I haven't done. There were some other password protected files it couldn't scan either. Just my opinion, but I think kav is being honest and admitting they can't scan the files. I don't believe any other antivirus can scan the files either, unless password is entered. Some antiviruses don't mention it, while others are honest and do. :rolleyes:

6. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

Hi, if u use Spybot and Adaware you can shorten the list of protected files.

Spybot: purging restore files [the copies it keeps in locked zip for restoration]

Adaware: deleting skins [additional skins for the pro that are in your programs folder]

I use Nod32, if I don’t delete the Adaware skins or the Spybot restore files I get an awful lot of locked [4] detections in my scan results.

7. Mr2cents

Hi Don Pelotas , I agree kav is a excellent antivirus. It's running great on my system. I don't think I will be doing the major upgrade. I read on the kav forum that the bug in drive A" ( floppy drive) will not be fixed in the major upgrade. This is very dissappointing (sp?) :mad: However I don't believe anything is perfect :D

As long as kav keeps running well on my puter. I'll be buying it in about 20 days. I like the peace of mind, knowing I'm so well protected. I know that it will probably miss something here or there. But according to all the tests , it's as close to perfect as an antivirus can get. :D

8. Mr2cents

Hi Sweetie(*)(*) Thanks for the information. I do run spybot and adaware. This could explain why I didn't recognice some of the password protected files that couldn't be scanned. Most of the zipfiles that couldn't be scanned were zipfiles I store private documents in. These files were scanned before I password protected them.

9. MaLaKiOs

Hi again...
    We all know that KAV is a great antivirus program if not the best. :D
    Do you know anything about its Antihacker program ? I tried to use it but most of the times when i just start it...it gives me a message about the System trying to get access and whatever i do , allow it or block it, i get a blue screen and then restart. :'(
    Has anyone else had the same problem?
    I have tried a lot of firewalls but i liked none. I just need a small and protective antivirus , not zonealarm not kerio, not sygate, not mcafee, not norton or other known ones.
    Thanks

10. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi MaLaKiOs

Yes i have tried Antihacker and liked it, it never gave me any trouble. Some systemprocesses needs permission, but why don't you try to uninstall antihacker and then use a registrycleaner like RegSupreme (30 day trial) and then install again, as you might have leftovers in the registry from other firewalls/programs. If problems persists then post in the firewallsection of wilders. :)

Btw. You don't have any other firewalls running have you?

11. MaLaKiOs

Thanks Don Pelotas for mentioning RegSupreme. It looks like the old RegCleaner which i used to love until it was not working because of my hyperthreding system.
    Excellent program.
    Thanks again.

12. mistycat

mistycat Registered Member

Hi, I may have misunderstood. If so, please ignore this. To not see password protected files in scans with Kav 5.0, select Settings>Configure On-Demand Scans. Click Troubleshooting and select "Do not ask for password when scanning objects"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.