Kav 5.0 149 question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mr2cents, Oct 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

I'm doing a 30 day trial of kav version 5.0.149 personal. I really like it. However there is one thing that is really irritating me. During bootup kav scans my floppy drive, which is empty. The floppy drive makes a very irritating noise...click clack, click clack. cilck clack.LOl :eek:

This only happens for a couple of seconds, but it's about to drive me nuts :rolleyes: How can I confiigure kav to not scan the floppy drive at bootup? I went and disabled the floppy drive in the hardware section last night. That did the trick, but I don't want the floppy drive disabeled :D Other than this minor annoyance, I am very happy with kav, and will probably purchase it at the end of my 30 day trial.

Heres my operation system if needed: "windows me" system restore disabled. 700 mhz intel celeron processor, 192 mb of ram.

2. MaLaKiOs

MaLaKiOs Registered Member

Hi there,
    Unfortunately i can not answer your question since i dont know the answer :(
    But i agree with you saying that KAV is a very good program. I like it too.
    You should download version 5.0.156.
    The only thing i dont like with KAV is that when you scan your hard disk it finds a lot of files which are protected and can not scan them. I tried other antivirus programs but none had this issue. I dont know if this is good or bad.
    Anyways... i still think that KAV is probably the best antivirus program out there :D

3. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

This is a known bug and there is SOME *discussion about this problem on KAV Board . No fix is available yet.

tECHNODROME

4. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Mr2cents:

I think you will be happy, i have used Kav 5.0 since the start and haven't looked back. A major update is coming in the next 2-3 weeks, a "minor" one has just been released look Here for more details it's up to you want the hassle of uninstalling .149 and installing .156 with the major one so close. :)

MaLaKiOs said:
    This is normal, they are in use by Windows or are password protected, another fine antivirus like Nod32 will give the same result, they are just being honest. :)
    I'll drink to that. ;) :D

5. Mr2cents

Thanks for replying Technodrome. Didn't know about this bug. I've enabled drive a again. I think I may take a low tech approach to solve this problem. A new pair of earplugs he-he :D

To MaLaRIOS : Kav can't scan password protected zip files on my computer either. Unless I enter the password, which I haven't done. There were some other password protected files it couldn't scan either. Just my opinion, but I think kav is being honest and admitting they can't scan the files. I don't believe any other antivirus can scan the files either, unless password is entered. Some antiviruses don't mention it, while others are honest and do. :rolleyes:

6. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

Hi, if u use Spybot and Adaware you can shorten the list of protected files.

Spybot: purging restore files [the copies it keeps in locked zip for restoration]

Adaware: deleting skins [additional skins for the pro that are in your programs folder]

I use Nod32, if I don’t delete the Adaware skins or the Spybot restore files I get an awful lot of locked [4] detections in my scan results.

7. Mr2cents

Hi Don Pelotas , I agree kav is a excellent antivirus. It's running great on my system. I don't think I will be doing the major upgrade. I read on the kav forum that the bug in drive A" ( floppy drive) will not be fixed in the major upgrade. This is very dissappointing (sp?) :mad: However I don't believe anything is perfect :D

As long as kav keeps running well on my puter. I'll be buying it in about 20 days. I like the peace of mind, knowing I'm so well protected. I know that it will probably miss something here or there. But according to all the tests , it's as close to perfect as an antivirus can get. :D

8. Mr2cents

Hi Sweetie(*)(*) Thanks for the information. I do run spybot and adaware. This could explain why I didn't recognice some of the password protected files that couldn't be scanned. Most of the zipfiles that couldn't be scanned were zipfiles I store private documents in. These files were scanned before I password protected them.

9. MaLaKiOs

Hi again...
    We all know that KAV is a great antivirus program if not the best. :D
    Do you know anything about its Antihacker program ? I tried to use it but most of the times when i just start it...it gives me a message about the System trying to get access and whatever i do , allow it or block it, i get a blue screen and then restart. :'(
    Has anyone else had the same problem?
    I have tried a lot of firewalls but i liked none. I just need a small and protective antivirus , not zonealarm not kerio, not sygate, not mcafee, not norton or other known ones.
    Thanks

10. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi MaLaKiOs

Yes i have tried Antihacker and liked it, it never gave me any trouble. Some systemprocesses needs permission, but why don't you try to uninstall antihacker and then use a registrycleaner like RegSupreme (30 day trial) and then install again, as you might have leftovers in the registry from other firewalls/programs. If problems persists then post in the firewallsection of wilders. :)

Btw. You don't have any other firewalls running have you?

11. MaLaKiOs

Thanks Don Pelotas for mentioning RegSupreme. It looks like the old RegCleaner which i used to love until it was not working because of my hyperthreding system.
    Excellent program.
    Thanks again.

12. mistycat

mistycat Registered Member

Hi, I may have misunderstood. If so, please ignore this. To not see password protected files in scans with Kav 5.0, select Settings>Configure On-Demand Scans. Click Troubleshooting and select "Do not ask for password when scanning objects"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.