KAV 4.5 release version

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Karl_Menshy, Jun 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa

Lisa AV Expert

Hi All,
    I just typed a lovely reply to this then realised I wasn't logged and lost the darn thing :doubt:

If you can't see the box to check OE databases try this:-
    Open Scanner Properties via KAVCC, if you have unchecked one of the drives e.g. Floppy try switching between Standard and Expert mode, then the tick box should return. I have no idea why it does this, I did once attempt to write this behaviour down but it is not easy to explain, I really should learn Russian!! :rolleyes:

BTW 4.5 is a Technical release, a new one with fixes was issued yesterday, it is not a "final release" as we often issue fixes/patches new versions - by the Commercial release it should have been sorted out. Then its flat out for version 5.0 I guess July/August time.

Regards
    Lisa KL UK

2. Open Source

Open Source Registered Member

Hello Lisa thank you for posting.

Its always nice to see more ladys posting here at wilders welcome.

3. Karl_Menshy

Karl_Menshy Registered Member

Lisa: I can tick whatever drive boxes I want and I can check back and forth from expert to standard view, still no OE option shows :(...but as I don't use OE I can live without this option.

But I do not have the CC installed...may this be the reason?

4. Karl_Menshy

Lisa: one more info: If I check the View scan options menu entry, it reports that the OE database check is enabled, although I still don't see the matching box.

5. Lisa

Lisa AV Expert

Hi Karl - Yes you need to have the KAVCC loaded to be able to see these settings.

The option is set by default if I remember correctly, but as I have had SOooo many versions on and off this pc I can't recall exactly??!!

Regards

Lisa

6. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Its such a shame to see all this fixes for 4.xx version. :oops: Kaspersky used to be a problem-free antivirus. Hopefully 5 version will be able to reproduce Stability and Quality of 3.xx. :rolleyes:

Technodrome

7. root

root Registered Member

You can thank XP for the problems that all the software makers are having.

8. Karl_Menshy

Just a quick info for all interested in v4.5. There is a docu in pdf format available from the usual download servers. Not much has changed from v4.0 manual, but maybe I haven't read it all too closely.

[ftp=ftp://ftp.kaspersky-labs.com/docs/english/kav4.5_personale.pdf]ftp://ftp.kaspersky-labs.com/docs/english/kav4.5_personale.pdf[/ftp]

9. Technodrome

Many AV products are very stable on XP. However, KAV 4.xx is having problems on 9x systems as well.

Technodrome

10. root

root Registered Member

True Techie, the problem for a lot of the security software makers is to get their program to run on both.
    When XP came out I watched several programs start foundering around for quite some time trying to get programs to work on all M$ platforms. Wouldn't be such a problem if M$ would lighten up on their tightfisted approach to releasing a little information to the software makers. Which, by the way, the court told them to do and they still are not doing it.

11. Technodrome

Anywayz, KAV is still THE BEST Malware detector so lets hope that 5 version will solve all 4.xx problems. ;)

tECHNODROME

12. root

root Registered Member

I totally agree. I got away from KAV for a while because it was such a dog. I just like for people to understand, as I'm sure you do, that the problems Kaspersky and other vendors are having is not because they are producing bad software or don't care about customers problems.

13. Well, now you guys are frightening me....

I considered buying KAV next week... I use WInXP Pro..What problems will I have? LOL...

I also have a license for Outpost 2.0 that I paid for with I believe free updates.... Will it work well with KAV? Or is ZAPro more compatiable?

14. Technodrome

Trial version is available on line SS. Try it before you buy it. ;)

Never heard about any problem with KAV and firewalls.

Since you got a load of $$$ why not add Kaspersky Anti-Hacker firewall to you arsenal? LOL

tECHNODROME

15. I'm not that rich.... :eek:

I heard Anti Hacker wasn't up to par anyway..

I ran the trial, and had no problesms..but a trial is a clipped copy.. Besides I don't know if you read my reply for your post at DSL, but I use 3 computers, and McAfee did not cost me ONE RED CENT! I got it as an upgrade from Symantec, LOL... The only programs I bought that were money wasted were...

1. SpamKiller...LOL
    2. Tauscan.
    3. PestPatrol LOL.. But I still use it...

But I buy software and use it legally. I won't use one copy on two machines...if that's not the license is for one machine only..

I had a ZAPro license and it expired.

16. Technodrome

McAfee's excellent scanner and I'd would stick with it. With McAfee U already got good unpacking and good heuristic engine. ;)

tECHNODROME

17. I like it and I'll probably wind up keeping it, it's just that I got fed up with their Forced Update of the Security Center which basically messes up McAfee and is useless advertising...

18. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

kav 4.5 and outpost 2 here. no probs at all

19. Technodrome

I think you should be able to unistall this... :rolleyes:

tECHNODROME

20. root

root Registered Member

KAV 4.5 is working great on my machine and of course I use Outpost.
    Technodrome and I were talking about what happened with KAV ver 4.0 up to 4.09.
    Get the laterst version of 4.5 and I think you will be pleased.

21. Well, thank you for your opinion... I appreciate it...

As I said, I already ran KAV Pers Pro as a trial, and it ran smoothly on my 'puter...

One other question, if I may... I emailed tech support twice at KAV, 2-3 days ago. No answer yet.. Is their support generally ignorant?

The new outpost looks very well... It ran nice and unobtrusively on mysystem, although I don't think they did anything to the active content plug ins...

Thanks for your help...

22. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Hi Straight Shooter

In my experience the main Russian KAV support is not very good.

You will find a much quicker response over at their 'unofficial forum' here;

http://forums.useice.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi

Where you will find help from fellow KAV users and KAV support staff who regularly drop by.

The KAV swiss site also has very good support; http://www.avp.ch/

Some of us Brits are even more lucky as KAV UK support is superb!!!

Incidently, do you really need Personal Pro? Most people find KAV Personal covers most of their needs. Why not trail this, particularly with KAV 5 just around the corner.

23. Hello, Blackcat.. I really haven't made up my mind...yet.. When do you think Vr 5 is coming out? Do you know what that will cost? If I buy Ver 4.5, will be be an upgrade free to ver 5?

Thanks

24. controler

controler Guest

Lisa is always quick to respond and very knowledgeable

try her out. ;)

con

25. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Kaspersky have suggested that KAV5 will be released in July/August. However, since they have only just released version 4.5 and no sign of the beta of KAV5, I think the Autumn is more likely :'(

Price should be similar to present prices for v4.5. If you purchase 4.5, you receive a keyfile which you will be able to use with any updated version during the annual license period. In other words upgrade to version 5 will be free since KAV5 is on the horizon.

However, as you seem to be well covered with AVK, McAfee, GAV and NOD, as much as I like KAV, do you really need another AV program? Maybe a good AT program would be a better bet for your general security.

Although I know these AV programs can be addictive. I have at present registered versions of 4 different AV's on my computers here :D :D .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.