Katie DriveSentry

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by DriveSentry, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, that's kind of scary. About the only thing I could say is that those programs probably weren't able to handle that malware either at some point, and this company is pretty new. Hopefully they'll start updating protection where needed. Kind of a quiet company, isn't it? (judging by "newsflashes" that have been there for weeks, lack of forum activity.) I hope they also get rid of that "help" they use with the flash presentation and put up a full fledged PDF file or something that adds more to the "install, reboot, and away you go! instructions.

2. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

How does it measure up against threatfire? which i consider to be a more fair comparison.The 3 other apps you mention seem to be more full blown hips than DS is meant to be ,so i guess it wouldn't perform as well.Ive never tried geswall ,but thought i would seeing it mentioned in your post and sig,and it does seem to act more like a sandbox than DS which i guess isnt meant to work that way.What gets me with all these apps ,is that they say little or no user intervention and yet geswall has just asked me "do i want to isolate firefox ,roboform ,and becky (my mail client) from the rest of the system?.Well i thought it was supposed to make that desicion for me.I dont know whether i should or shouldn't.If i say yes i dont know what the consequenses are.Will becky not save my emails if i say yes? or will roboform not save logins if i say yes?.Thats the difference between drivesentry and geswall.DS is much more user friendly imo,though its not a full blown hips like GW ,which needs thought and knowledge to make the right decision.Ive looked at GW helpfile to try and understand what to do ,and it goes on about management consoles,and command lines.As you can see i get a little frustrated with these full blown hips apps ,however much i try to like them.

EDIT....I NOW SEE THAT HELP TOPICS IS DIFFERENT TO HELP
    ellison

3. Someone

Someone Registered Member

Hi

Could you give a specific test and the results?

Thanks

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

nope, just going what people have told me that I trust and know they know what they are doing.

5. Someone

Hi

I personally find it quite hard to accept this fact when the information is so vague.

6. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

You can say that again.:D

Attention seeking?

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

no problem, I totally understand but I know what I know and that is fine for me. But again, I respect your thoughts and wish I could offer more.

8. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

trjam

I'm sure you mean well but...

To me, it's knocking copy without the data to back-up your assertion.

As far as I am concerned the mods who are quick to ban fan-boys' posts saying they like ABC without supporting evidence should also ban knocking copy "I don't like ABC".

Usually, people on this forum are quick to test a product and point out shortcomings. Some go one better and work with the developer to make the product better.

It's a sad day when a member of Wilder's says I know something you don't know.

Ian

9. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

You also need to be aware that there are people out there working with the companies that produce such software and/or working with organizations that research and look for vulnerabilities and don't bring information out until they either get with the vulnerable vendor first, or, in some cases, sell that information out to other organizations who may then contact the vendor. It's disclosure. Trjam, from what I have seen so far at least in my time here, does not do the "I know a secret" dance unless there is a reason. If you look at past and recent posts, he, among a few others here, put these products through the wringer and happily post results here for all to see.

10. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

I stick by my post. Put up the evidence or keep quiet. Sowing the seeds of fear, uncertainty and doubt is great if you are willing to reference a test, if not, it's not fair on the company concerned.

BTW, I highly doubt anybody with a professional interest in seeking s/w vulnerabilities (for profit) would expose themselves on a public forum however indirectly the manner.

To be honest I wasn't aware trjam was a "tester" - he is famous to me for always changing his mind.:) I blame him for me being a happy Avira user.

Ian

11. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I stick by my post as well. I never said he himself was a part of anything, I merely mentioned he MAY be, or, he MAY have heard things through the grapevine so to speak. And yes, he does do tests frequently, check out some of his stuff regarding GesWall.

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

the bottom line, and I am going in area I had promised not to, is, it was tested by some members here who care to remain anonomous and it did frigging dismal. You dont have to beleive me if you dont want to just because I am not typing that, ex. robodog did this, an virus 2 did this. Hell, all that is are just postings or screenshots. Again,, do as you wish, I respect that. But I respect a hell of a alot more the testing and results that were done on DS. But I also respect the wishes of my friends when they dont want stuff posted. I like DS, bought 2 copies or logins, right off the bat. And any new product is going to need work. I like their concept and think in time it will improve. But the bottom line is, in its current form, I would use a variety of other products, VBA32 included, before I used this one.

13. DriveSentry

DriveSentry Registered Member

Tryjam,

Please could you let me know the names of these malware so that i can try this myself? If you want to PM me with the results of your friends findings that would be great.

We are always keen to make improvements so that we can work on providing the best new approach to securing your system and data. Thanks for your comments anyhow. A little more info would be extremely useful so that we can rectify this.

thanks

Kate.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  14. DriveSentry

DriveSentry Registered Member

dw426,

are you refering to the flash movie that appears during a signature update? All feedback is much appreciated.

thanks

Kate.

15. ellison64

Do you think you can "fairly" compare Geswall (or the other two apps you mention) with DS?.Thats sort of like matousecs thinking where you can compare looknstop which has no hips with comodo which has ,and say its crap.Threatfire is more like DS and as such should be compared to that.I would welcome any comparisons there.
    ellison

16. Someone

Hi

Well from what I saw of his post he only mentioned VirusBlokAda, not GesWall.

17. ellison64

Originally Posted by trjam
    all I will say is, that I really do hope over time they continue to imrove. But if you are running VMWare, go test it agaainst the gamma of malware that we have tested, SD,GW, DW and others, and you will see it fails miserably. Not a opinion, just a fact.
    SHADOWDEFENDER,GESWALL,DEFENCEWALL
    I think its a little harsh to compare DS with the above 3 apps as its not full blown hips/sandbox like those 3 apps.Its much easier to use though i guess the downside is ,is not as good.I recognise that ,but i think DS is as good as anything in its leauge.Of course i welcome tests but ,theres got to be a fair playing field in my view.
    ellison

18. Someone

Hi

I see now. Yes, I agree with you.

19. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Hi Katie :) No, I was referring to the help link at the top of the page that just shows installing it and updating it. Unless I missed it someplace (and trust me, as tired as I am lately that's a real possibility), I don't see any manuals that help with configuration and such, you know, adding extra files/folders to protection, settings to define how much/how little protection you would like to give to files, extensions and such (in case a HIPS or some other software is already on the system that covers areas that DS does, to get rid of redundancy.

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

you are right, put up or shut up and as mad as it makes me, a promise is a promise. So I should just shutup and if what I say is true, time will tell. Or I should owe an apology you might say. Wrong! I know the truth and in time you will see and I am damn sure goingto bookmark this post based on what has been said to or about me. But I totally agree, until the proof is brought forth, I am just crapping in the wind.

Hmm, wonder who will be next to be so creative when launching and marketing a new product. lol

Sorry Ilya, but bet you aint no Katie. Point counter point.:doubt:

21. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I completely agree with you, people will find out on their own. It's an argument that could go on for days and it just isn't worth the effort.

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Go here, scroll down om the left side to Tri-Security and tell me that isnt what Prevx or other "Full blown Hips" state. This is a AV secondary to a white-listed program that combines user feedback. Actually sounds more like Threatfire, so dont mix words posted with their actual intent.

23. trjam

trjam Registered Member

24. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

25. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.