Katie DriveSentry

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by DriveSentry, May 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GES/POR

GES/POR Registered Member

Re: Drive Sentry

No look on their homepage, its there allright. I use it from time to time myself. Usually there's someone in and if not u can leave a message and probably get a mail in less then an hour so. Basicly if people are having problems it would be better to post on their forum there then here since there isnt someone on this thread like in realtime. :eek:

2. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Here is something I experience upon installing DriveSentry.Every thing was running well for about 10 mintues or so then a sudden BSOD occured.I had other security apps on board and I figured it was a conflick with something else. So I removed everything but DS.I cleaned any remains with CCleaner and registry keys.Everything running well again then a BSOD again reboots to a BSOD again.The third boot OS back So I uninstall DS and thats the end of the BSOD.Again I run CCleaner and remove any registry keys.I reinstall DS everything running well for a while then a BSOD again this time will not boot to the OS,Every boot followed by a BSOD.I try Rebooting Safe mode to No avail.This Time a BSOD continue over and over No safe mode either.I no longer Have a functioning OS.Which led me to This a 4mat of a fresh copy of vista.Head ups to the folks getting sudden Reboots.I normally say nothing Bad about anything but there seems to be some issues going on because either DS don't like vista or something else Is going on.ps the reason I mention now is I see some posters mention the reboots and thats how it started on my macine.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  3. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Its hard to pin down BSOD in vista because many folks are getting them on new laptops for no apparent reason.The gfs sony vaio has started BSODing ,and she doesnt even have DS.CHKdisk found problems with mft and supposedly fixed it ,so its watch this space for her.I have been fortunate in that i have vista premium and have never had any BSOD,and im running DS 3.1,although DS will not run with outpost 2009 or vice versa on my system.I think there's an element of risk using any security software such has DS ,or even avs and firewalls that hook in at a low level ,and i dont think theres anything inherently bad about DS.I find it as stable as any other software i use.It seems to run fine with avast and vista firewall control,...maybe it doesnt get on with kaspersky?Its probably a bit late now but did you check event viewer after a crash or run chkdisk?
    ellison

4. Dark Shadow

I agree with you however there was no KAV or any other security app on board Only Vista OS.I did not chdisk at the time but had recently ran it maybe a week prior to the Install of DS everything was normal.I do run chkdisk regular along with defrag weekly.

5. ellison64

What bugs are you referring to?.In your first post the only possible bug that i see is the 50% cpu usage on first run ,which is known about and is apparently being addressed..The retry of downloading updates and subsequent freeze suggests that your firewall is the problem there. You also mentioned no stop button at scan ,although there is one.Not displaying signature size download is hardly a bug either .I didn't have any problems installing DS ,so should i presume that the beta testing was thorough?
    ellison

6. ellison64

Mmm sorry to hear that youve had to reinstall.Did it many times with w2000 (last time using rollbackrx which hosed my system).It does sound like a system file had been damaged or corrupted for something as drastic as that to happen.Was it a fresh vista install that had all the updates or was it vista that had programes on that you then uninstalled and cleaned with CC?
    ellison

7. Dark Shadow

It was the OS from Factory minus The bloat with sp1 and current updates. Only apps I choosen where on brd. KAV was never on at the time but the only thing left was Shadow Defender. really cant remember though what other security I had at the time that I removed. O well I guess it was not meant to be.I may give it another go though.If I had FD-Rescue at the time probably would have saved the day maybe.

8. clocks

clocks Registered Member

This program just seems to eat gobs of ram/virtual memory on my machine. I find it takes about 24-100+ megs of ram, plus more virtual memory. Anyone else find it heavy?

9. DriveSentry

DriveSentry Registered Member

Hey ampo_king

Thank you very much for your suggestions. We are already putting plans together to make changes to the icon. We really appreciate your input as we were thinking along the same lines!

thanks again ;)

kind regards,

Kate.

10. DriveSentry

Hi ampo_king,

thanks for reporting this problem. We have not seen this before and will look into it immediately. We will need some meore details from you so if you could send me your email address via private message that would be great.

For now i can only suggest un-installing DS from the start menu and ensuring that you remove all old settings. Then try a fresh install of DS 3.1.

keep me posted. Sorry for the late reply

kind regards,

Kate.

11. DriveSentry

Hi djohn,

Thanks for reporting this. please could you provide me with some more details so that i can get the team to investigate.

Are you using Vista 64 bit OS? what version of Vista are you using?
    What type of machine are you using? Is it a dual core machine?
    What version of DS were you using?

Please let me know any othet details that you feel may help us in our investigation. This would be much appreciated so that we can get this sorted as soon as possible.

Thanks,

Kind regards

Kate.

12. DriveSentry

Clocks,

This sounds perculiar as one of DriveSentry's strengths is that it is relatively low on memory and system resources :eek: !? You may see slighly higher CPU when the database is being updated but this should not be at all constant.

Please can you you give me a little more information on this.

Thanks

kate.

13. Dark Shadow

Hi Katie,
    I am using vista Home premium SP1 on HP Laptop with intel Dual core 32 bit with 3 gigs Ram.The BSOD happened around the Time of this post started so that version OF DS.I have No further Information what could Have caused it nor logs/evidence.It could have just been one of thouse things where it just did not get along with my laptop.I know this can happen with any security at any given time. I have seen BSOD before with windows OS butI have never had This happen that the computer would not even boot in a safe mode,and become a none Functional OS In over 10 yrs of pc use.I guess there a first for everything.I posted Not to Bad word Drivesentry but for the sake that some others that experienced sudden Reboots.This Is how it started On my machine and Lead me to Remove any other security app In hopes,It would be corrected for proper evaluation.Sadly It lead to disaster and thats all I really can say at this time.Sorry for not being able to provide something concrete.Best regards Dave

14. DriveSentry

Hi dave,

Jus one more thing. Were you using an internal build which you took from the DriveSentry forum or where you using the one from the DriveSentry website?

thanks

Kate.

15. Dark Shadow

Downloaded from Site

16. DriveSentry

Hi Dave,

I have just looked through the posts and can see no record of you reporting a problem before? Please could you send me your email through private message so that i can get some details from you. Or maybe you could connect to the online chat facility on the website?

This would be a great help if you have a minute.

have you tried the new version 3.1 available to download from the website now?

kind regards,

kate.

17. Dark Shadow

Hi Katie sent you PM email.and know did not try 3.1 yet.If I try it would it be redundant with GesWall.Ps katie took another gander at your site it was V 2.0 I tried.

18. DriveSentry

Hi djohn,

2.0 is a very old version of DriveSentry - you may have mistaken 'security 2.0' which is stated on our website for the build number. We currently have 3.1 ready for download and the previous build number available was 3.0.3. This must have been the one? I am Just looking at Geswall. Seeing as it is an intrusion prevention system, it would be best if you disabled this whilst using DriveSentry, especially upon installation.

Thanks Dave,

kind regards,

Kate.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  19. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

Hi,Katie!

Installation problem here.The version is Drivesentry3.1website.

When I accept the end client agreement.Not as the readme file known issue says that it'll be a 5s delay,my computer just went freezing.
    I don't know if it's the conflict with Returnil.Because I had the Returnil protection on during installation.

I'm using Windows XP-sp2 with nod32,comodo v3.

Thanks.

20. DriveSentry

Hi Bonedriven,

We have identified a problem which may be related to what you are seeing. We have been trying to get this fixed as soon as possible. If you could send me your email address via personal mesage i can send you a new build to try.

thanks for your feedback

kind regards,

Kate

21. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Just noticed last database update was Tuesday, 15 July.

Is there a problem?

Ian

22. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Are you logged in to the "Advisor" ? I don't know a whole lot about it since it never has been able to work on my machine.

23. Iangh

Iangh Registered Member

Yep. Paying customer.

Just bemused by the fact that the database wasn't updated for six days. It was updated Monday (yesterday).

I would have expected at least daily updates, if not, more frequent.

Ian

24. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Well, at least now it's updated. It's probably me not knowing the inner workings of the program, but it is a tad strange to not update a database in that amount of time. It could have been a server issue with them, but I saw no such post at their forums. Who knows :)

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

all I will say is, that I really do hope over time they continue to imrove. But if you are running VMWare, go test it agaainst the gamma of malware that we have tested, SD,GW, DW and others, and you will see it fails miserably. Not a opinion, just a fact.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.