Kaspersky uncovers fileless malware inside Windows event logs

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by waking, May 10, 2022.

1. waking

waking Registered Member

Kaspersky uncovers fileless malware inside Windows event logs

May 9, 2022

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/kaspersky-fileless-malware-windows-event-logs/

"An unprecedented discovery made by Kaspersky could have serious consequences
    for those using Windows operating systems. The cybersecurity company published
    an article on May 4 detailing that - for the first time ever - hackers have
    placed shellcode into Windows event logs, hiding Trojans as fileless malware."

A new secret stash for "fileless" malware

04 May 2022

https://securelist.com/a-new-secret-stash-for-fileless-malware/106393/

2. nicolaasjan

nicolaasjan Registered Member

Indicators of Compromise:

IPv4
    Code:

Domains

Code:
        eleed.online

eleed.cloud

timestechnologies.org

avstats.net

mannlib.com

nagios.dreamvps.com

opswat.info

3. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

Thanks for diving into it.

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

But how the heck is this stuff even possible? Looks like Windows was designed to cater to hackers, which allows them to develop all kinds of advanced malware techniques, it's ridiculous.

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

You'd probably be surprised at what is possible. I doubt Windows was designed to cater to hackers, but it may not have been designed to account for them. Probably not entirely possible. Where I don't feel it is fair to blame software companies for hackers, it often seems the hackers are smarter. I guess they have greater motivation and incentive. Thier financial reward probably scales with their ambition and effort. Many software engineers are underpaid. Criminals aren't limited by anything but skill and effort.

6. Rasheed187

Yes good point, but these hacking techniques keep getting weirder and weirder. Why on earth is this stuff even possible, why not remove a couple of hundred API's in Windows, because this stuff seems to be used strictly by malware and not by legitimate tools. There are simply too many ways to bypass AV's and firewall.

7. xxJackxx

Windows is too old and too common to fix. Something else would have to be created. Then people would have to use it. No, Linux is not that thing.

8. waking

waking Registered Member

Something like this perhaps?

KasperskyOS

https://os.kaspersky.com/

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Exactly! You are spot on it's been completely by design all along.
    How else could they keep the computer security business industry and third parties humming along.
    Not to mention the hackers raking it in too.

This looks like a fun one that @itman can sink his choppers in. :D
    One heck of an in depth A to Z write up too.

Last edited: May 31, 2022
  10. xxJackxx

Possibly. It's the right idea but I doubt it will ever go big enough to accomplish anything.

11. itman

itman Registered Member

I already mitigated this when it was discovered.

Using a HIPS, monitor/block any process creating wer.dll and WerFault.exe files in C:\Windows\Tasks directory.

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

So in reality this find is a sort of a redundant rehash of similar fileless types. Not that it would help or lessen other structure of that same intrusion but I purposely delete entire Event Logs on a regular basis just to conserve space.

That article says 'first time ever" which probably means they admit they haven't yet audited the entire layout of a Windows System where one such addition has little purpose compared to the TEETH of a significant system attack path. Supportive PowerShell junk where by now everyone even laymen know the capabilities if it isn't confined by some type of focuses security measure.

13. Rasheed187

That's what I mean, it's like they created all of these ''OS features'' to make life of hackers easier and to keep the computer security industry very profitable. I'm sure they could design Windows in a way that would limit hacker attack techniques, without breaking legitimate apps.

Let's take code-injection as example, almost none legitimate apps make use of it, except for security tools. Yet there are plenty of ways to perform advanced code injection, see links. And this isn't only possible on Windows, but also on macOS, which does make you think that they really didn't take malware into consideration when designing the OS, but it still looks shady to me.

https://www.elastic.co/blog/ten-pro...-technical-survey-common-and-trending-process
    https://www.darkreading.com/endpoint/researchers-explore-remote-code-injection-in-macos

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

If truth be known I held reservations way back on Windows XP. Instead of MS constructing iron-clad innovation for end users and business protections against intrusions, it seems have introduced all sorts of novel opportunities & channels without first taking into account the best way to 'first' prevent everything that users experienced which is proven detrimental.
    Just an opinion of mine. Or else in reality they haven't the gumption to outfit Windows sensibly enough without all the kiddie crap that's made it a toy for hackers and the unlearned to pry open and gum up everything.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.