Kaspersky support site for UK Customers

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Blackcat, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I have found the the support forum and general support over at the main Kaspersky site over in Russia virtually non-existant.

However for UK customers for Kaspersky AntiVirus there is a UK support site which, and I can vouch for this, will reply to your queries within hours. They are very helpful and they managed to resurrect KAV Monitor for me so I can now run it as my running AV.

The address is support@kasperskylab.co.uk.

2. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

BlackCat,

Could you provide an URL? On a side note: "UK customers only" will hardly cover the majority from KAV users :rolleyes:. Eugene should take care of a good staff running the worldwide support board IMO.

regards.

paul

3. Blackcat

URL for the UK support site is www.kaspersky.co.uk.

This I know is not ideal for non-UK customers but maybe some of us UK people here at wilders can post some general problems from anyone over to the UK siteo_O

They have been very helpful to me as I have received several e-mails in a matter of a couple of days and I have therefore managed to solve my problem of not being able to run the KAV Monitor. They are also looking into the problems of the AntiHacker firewall for me as well.

I consider support to be very important in the decision of buying or staying with software so with the UK site I will now be staying with Kaspersky. However if I was reliant on the main Russian site it would have been bye bye Kaspersky.

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Blackcat,

Thanks for the link.

Couldn't agree more!

regards.

paul

5. muf

muf Guest

I have to disagree. I've contacted the Russian support a number of times and i've e-mailed suspicious files as well. I have never had to wait more than 24 hours for a response. Even so, its nice to see we have a uk support to call upon.

muf

6. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

I wonder if part of the problem with the russian site is the language difficulty for some of there technicians (or maybe I am being too kind here ) Although in my numerous communications with them over anti virus and antihacker there seem to be responses followed by very long silences extending into weeks. I downloaded the 3.5 version from the swiss site and found , they were pretty fast in there response to my email , even though I am in the southern hemispere (within a few hours)http://www.avp.ch/

7. solarpowered candle

What would be very good would be if someone from Kaspersky could come here to the forum and address issues as there are many people who are members and many others who come here , who utilise Kaspersky products and such would , as has shown by other software developers who do take the time to come here , helped tp not only promote their product , but offer good assistance to the user. Maybe we should hit them up with such a suggestion,

8. solarpowered candle

Just to say . that since posting my last post above and emailing Kaspersky (Russia),to one person their who i have found really easy to communicate with ( Igor Kurzin), He has said he will communicate these ideas to his colleges, regarding support here at this forum,and although time may be a problem, he would like to drop in and give his personal support whenever he can do so. The reply from Igor at Kav labs came back within 30 mins of my email. very good response and support and with another query I had.

9. Igor K.

Igor K. AV Expert

Gentlemen, support at Kaspersky Lab is not a fake. Lots of efforts are made to improve support quality and response time. The goal is to establish the best customer service ever. A couple of months ago there's was set up a US phone line. It is toll-free and you can call 24x7:
    1-800-803-21-52
    US support e-mail is service@kaspersky.com

Registered users can also send e-mails to support@kaspersky.com or get help at forum:

The forum is far from perfection, but better smth than nothing: http://www.kaspersky.com/forum.html

:)

10. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Hmmm, Igor K?? If you are the real Igor K then welcome, but I have my doubts.......(a public ICQ number?...) :doubt:

ps, I hope I'm right otherwise I'll look a complete fool, in fact I'm going into the garden now to dig a hole ready to bury my head in it....... ;)

11. solarpowered candle

Hello Igor , thanks for dropping by . I know that you are very busy but your help with many issues that users face with there KAV products will be greatly appreciated, hope we may bombard you with many questions . Thank you and may I be the first to welcome you ,
    kind regards,
    Robert :)

12. Igor K.

Igor K. AV Expert

Hello, Tinribs!

I'm a little confused. When was publishing an ICQ number something unusual? Many cultures - many customs, I guess.

Anyways you made me smile. :)
    Please try to refrain from burying your head in the garden, it may serve well at this forum, what do you think? ;)

13. Igor K.

Igor K. AV Expert

Hello, Robert!

My superior colleagues at work will consider your ideas.

This forum seems very nice and quite useful. I will try to drop in every now and then to answer questions about KAV.

Have a great day! :)

Igor

14. root

root Registered Member

Hello Igor. Nice to see you here.
    I do hope you drop by from time to time.
    I am very anxious to know when Kaspersky comes up a KAV version 4 that is as light on resources as the 3.5 version available on the Swiss site.
    I know about not using the CC and I know not to monitor in compressed files, but still Kav 4.x is a resource drain.

15. SKA

SKA Registered Member

KAV is only AV product with a widely fragmented user base - some still using version 3.5 Swiss while others try 4.0.9 then go to other AVs due 4 too aggressive. No other AV has two widely used versions,yes ?

My direct question to Igor is: as far as detection goes - Is there ANY weakness/limit of KAV 3.5 engine compared to 4 engine ? I see blind recommendations for version 3.5 everywhere on the web for last 1 year - if its so good why would anyone use 4 ?

SKA

16. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To SKA from Firefighter!

That question belongs in my category to so called "silly" questions.

I have visited on these sites some months and I haven't so far seen so thorough question about KAV 4.0!

All the best to SKA! :D :eek: :cool:

"The truth is out there, but it hurts!"

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

17. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Firefighter,

There is no such thing as a "silly question." !!
    The only thing that can possibly be silly about a question is when someone is not willing to at least consider the answers he gets.

Regards,

Pieter

18. Firefighter

To Pieter_Arntz from Firefighter!

When I was at school, we were taught that "silly" questions are the best ones, because too often people have deviated too far from the main point.

I mean that "silly" questions are the best ones! :D ;)

"The truth is out there, but it hurts!"

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

19. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi Firefighter,

Thnx for explaining that. It might have been interpreted the wrong way.

Regards,

Pieter

20. Firefighter

To Pieter_Arntz from Firefighter!

Too often av-producers have lost the main point while making av:s. Kaspersky is one of those who have understood the purpose of finding viruses best than ever.

The "silly" questions to av-producers are:

1. What is a virus?

2. What does a virus need to be able to spread?

3. What we have to find first then, to prevent infections?

If we understand those all, we can make the best av-program ever! :D ;) :cool:

"The truth is out there, but it hurts"

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

21. Igor K.

Igor K. AV Expert

To Root:

I have to admit that some previous versions of Monitor (4.0.1.x) could be a disaster on a computer no matter what settings you chose. From this moment on, when we have version 4.0.5.60 of KAV Monitor, I can say that it works faster that version 3.5. But you need to obey some rules: like not having any other AVs running. In version 5 (a beta is to be released in a couple of months) you even will be prompted during the installation to remove other AV software before setting up KAV.

There are cases when a Monitor (latest version) slows down a PC notwithstanding the fact that many options are turned off, such as “code analyzer”, “memory scan”, “compound files”, “sectors scan”. In this situation you would like to investigate deeper into the problem. Try to turn on “show information about clean objects in report” and see checking of what files causes slowdowns. You may want to exclude by mask such files as *.mpeg, *.mp3 or some huge graphic files.

Sometimes problems with speed occur when you had previous versions installed then uninstalled and then you installed some new version and it does not work as expected. As you could notice we don’t have an uninstaller for KAV. Users forget or don’t know about Control Panel -> Add and Remove Programs possibility and delete the KAV folder, go to registry and try to clean up some entries, but all in vain, after the installation there are huge problems. For such cases we developed a special utility: KAV Registry Cleaner. Often a reinstallation with this utility corrects all problems you might have.

On my computer at work (Athlon 1.4, 256 RAM, WinXP Pro SP1) and at home (Athlon 1.3, 256 RAM, WinXP Home) 4.0.9.0 KAV works fine. I only unchecked “mail databases”, “plain mail” (Mail Checker does the job)
    and “archives”. I don’t see any difference in speed if I work with Monitor or without it. We only recommend to pause Monitor when playing games or doing back-up.

To Ska:

As far as detection of all known viruses is concerned – KAV 3.5 is equal to 4.0.
    You may view some information at http://www.kaspersky.com/buyonline.html?info=26

To answer your question:

Version 4.0 uses “Heuristic code analyzer” of second generation. It is quite useful for detection of unknown viruses.
    In Monitor 4.0 you can check/uncheck separate folders like in Scanner.
    Very important thing – Windows XP compatibility: only KAV 4.0 is fully compatible. KAV 3.5 can be used without Control Center and compatibility is not guaranteed.
    And at last – KAV 4.0 is faster.
    Please try to understand – all indignation about version 4.0 and “bringing computer to a crawl” is about versions 4.0.1.x. Try package 4.0.9.0. Don’t forget to correctly uninstall previous version. ;)

22. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Yes ignore my previous post Igor, I think maybe this flu is making me think strangely ;) Its good to see you here :)

23. Blackcat

Welcolm Igor. With your help here at wilders and the UK site I should be able to solve any present ( and future)problems with Kaspersky AV.

I am looking forward to version 5.

24. S.B.

S.B. Registered Member

To Igor K.

Thank you for the information in your most recent post. Alas :'(, I too have the slow down problem with KAV monitor. Could you point me to a location where I could obtain the utility, KAV Registry Cleaner? Thanks.

25. SKA

SKA Registered Member

Blackcat beat me to it <g>

Dear Igor

U have my respect. 1st time on web I see a clear &
    truly educative response on KAV.

KAV Reg Ckeaner - is this same as removekav.exe on ftp site ? Any latest version available - it'll truly help users improve experience with KAV.

Thanks indeed for your contribution and I hope you stay a regular here and set record right on KAV, as for sure no
    one else from KLabs is doing so !

In v5 I hope you THROW AWAY "norton copy GUI" and
    take a lesson from NOD32 and drop that "infamous" tree
    control which has been the bane of version 4 as far as I can see. NOD32 uses no such tree control (maybe pure assembler be faster -hint, hint) !

SKA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.