Kaspersky Rescue Disk update

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Victek, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

There appears to be a new ISO for the Kaspersky Rescue Disk:

http://majorgeeks.com/Kaspersky_Rescue_Disk_d6501.html

I can't find a page on the Kaspersky site for this tool where there might be a changelog. I must say this is the best AV rescue boot disk I've used to date.

2. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

It's still using version 10. Guess with this one you won't have to download so many virus updates before it starts scanning. That's a good thing. And you're right, Kaspersky's Rescue CD is quite good. So is Avira's.

Later...

3. woomera

woomera Registered Member

of course it updates frequently, its just definition updates which is useful if you are planning on running it offline.

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Do they release this every month with the latest definitions? That's helpful when you need to use it offline or on a slow connection. What I especially like about it is it has a fast scan option - boot sector and Startup locations. I was able to remove the fake FBI ransomware virus fairly quickly with it recently. Other rescue disks I've tried only have a full scan option and that's not practical in the field where there isn't the time.

Is the Avira rescue disk a free offering and do they offer a new download with updated definitions regularly?

5. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

6. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Yes, Kaspersky usually updates their ISO (latest Malware Signatures) about once a week. I just checked the Kaspersky Forum, and I see no mention of a new version of the Kaspersky Rescue Disk.

7. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Avira's Rescue CD is free and they update it frequently. They switched to Ubuntu (KDE...:thumbd: ...Gnome fan here) recently as their base so now you can update the virus data base even on a wireless laptop. :thumb: . Kaspersky, on the other hand, runs Gentoo and has been able to do that for a long time. :thumb:

Avira deletes their updated virus data base on shutdown/reboot. :thumb:
    Kaspersky doesn't delete their updated virus data base on shutdown/reboot. It's right there in a folder at C:/. In my case, the size was quite large. I manually deleted it.

Later...

8. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Great - do you know if Avira Rescue CD offers a Quick Scan option? The problem I've seen with some rescue CDs is they only offer full scan which takes too long "in the field".

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I thought that you did not need but one. Do you need one for every version?
    Jerry

10. TheKid7

The current "Official" version does not offer a Quick Scan option. I am not sure about the current Beta version which is based on Ubuntu.

However, the current "Official" version has a really fast scan rate and the few times that I tried it on a few different PC's, it took between about 25 and 45 minutes to complete the Full Scan. I checked the scan speed of the current "Official" versus the Beta version and the scan speeds were about the same.

11. TheKid7

The Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 was updated. I had noticed that the ISO file size had increased recently.
    http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=260685

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.