Kaspersky Problem-Unhandled Exception

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by RBremen, Mar 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RBremen

RBremen Registered Member

I tried installing KAV on a fresh XP Pro install. There are no other apps on the OS, only hardware drivers (ATI Catalyst) and some of the XP Security fixes. I get Unhandled Exception every single time I boot as soon as the desktop comes up. Sometimes I can get to the KAV menu, other times I can't. From what I've seen so far it is stalling on the ATI Catalyst software and then again on a file in the wmplayer folder. What else I don't know as it stops at this point and I'm tired of deleting files it sticks on without knowing why. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. It seems like a known issue in the KAV forums but no answer has been posted that I can find. I have emailed KAV support.

Thanks,

R Bremen

2. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

You could try to download only the latest barebones display-driver from ATI, uninstall the catalyst software, install the display-driver and see if this helps as a way to try and pinpoint if it 's the catalyst software that's causing the Unhandled Exception's. :)

3. Rob E

Rob E Registered Member

FWIW, I can't comment any ATI issues, only that my system uses an older Radeon 9600 card. Just wanted to mention that I also experienced numerous "Unhandled Exception" errors after installing and attempting to use KAV Personal Pro. I gave up on it BUT... then installed KAV Personal (v. 5.0.227) and it ran beautifully, with no issues or conflicts. I'd highly recommend you try it. GL.

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Good thing I purchased NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900...driver quality :D

5. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

only thing is you have to put up with an inferior card!(lol)

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Inferior in Performance. Feature-wise it is superior than even Radeon X800 (slightly).

So, NVIDIA = Software quality
    ATI = Hardware quality

Besides, if GeForce FX code is used (i.e. Cg compiler/Pixel Shader 2.0A = optimised code) it will perform better than competing Radeons.

And it still pwnz any Radeon 9700s...I think. Who cares, I get playable framerates and good quality in my games, thats all I care.

Firecat

7. RBremen

RBremen Registered Member

Well I'm in the process of another format and reinstall. I'll let you know if that makes a difference. I don't understand why it would hang on a .cab file and then an html file. I figure it would give a warning or something and then complete the scan. Thanks for everyones help though, it's appreciated.

Well...fresh install same error. Can't even update the database now. This a fresh install on a non overclocked install. Not even XP updates have been installed. Is it possible to use my overpriced key to install the personal (non pro edition)? Is the pro just not that ready for prime time? I don't hear issues about just the personal edition only the pro version.... Frustrating to say the least.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  8. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Your question has been answered at http://forums.useice.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?;act=ST;f=1;t=2032.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.