kaspersky personal 4.5 vs kaspersky personal pro 5.0

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by random, Aug 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. random

random Guest

is there a big difference between the programs? any difference at all?
    better virus/trojan detection?

i'm not really sure what the official kaspersky site is as there is quite a few of them just by googling kaspersky so i can't really look at their site and compare these two programs

i would really like to know if theres one version with better antivirus detection and more options to configure

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

You are comparing different versions and different products. Further, you are comparing a released, mature product, v4.5, with one that has not been released yet, KAV Personal Pro 5. Was it these two you wanted to compare or did you make a typing mistake? Anyway;

The Pro versions apart from being more expensive, have 2 main additional features;

1. Office Guard; for protection against macro-viruses.
    2. Kaspersky Integrity Inspector; mainly to protect against stealth viruses.

The Personal versions are thought to be sufficient for the majority of Home Users.
    Although not out yet, it looks like the Pro 5 will offer more configuration options than Personal 5, but less than Personal 4.5. Detection rates should be very similar as they use the same database.

There is a good unofficial forum over here; http://forums.useice.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi? and the main Kaspersky site is here; http://www.kaspersky.com/

Kaspersky no longer offer KAV Personal 4.5, although it is still available for download at a number of other sites.

3. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

Although the 5.0 Pro has not been released yet, I would still stick with 4.5 unless you want extra crap left on your computer should you choose to remove KAV

4. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

Well with Pro you should be able to decide whether you want iStreams enabled or disabled. (and the ADS removal tool should be released)

5. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi Random...

Stick with 4.5 PRO if you already have it. Wait until the release of 5.0 PRO with the bugs ironed out.

4.5 PRO is much more configurable, stable, etc. etc.
    Also, as Blackcat said ;) has extra features like Integrity Inspector, and Office Guard for Office/Macro detections.

Cheers, TAS

6. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

im also waiting for kav5 personal pro, but at the moment i have used kav5 personal since it was released. on my computer its very lightweight and fast compared to 4.5 pro, and i ahve had no problems with it at all. the only thing im missing from 4.5 pro is the ability to use the x-files definitions database, its not available in 5 personal, only standard and extended definitions. as for bugs...there are none in version 5.0.149, at least i havent noticed any at all.

about ADS, frankly i dont know what that is, but is that like a tag that kav attaches to a file saying the file is scanned and clean, and wont need to be scanned again until the file has changed, or new definitions are downloaded ? if anybody can explain exactly what it is id be grateful. if it is what i think it is then it makes scaning considerably faster than with old versions(altho with kav now releasing new definitions every hour i dont know how relevant that is anymore)

7. Arin

Arin Registered Member

lol tahoma, you got it right. now that KAV is releasing updates every one hour it doesn't make much sense. the tag contains the checksum of that file. KAV 5 Pro will probably have the option to disable ADS tags, thats why we all are waiting for it.

8. No more

No more Guest

I'm very disappointed by KAV 5.

About 2 days ago, my kid turned on a computer and went online (dial-up modem) but about 10 minutes after that my computer got infected by some sort of Beagle worm because my kid opened a file he received from an e-mail.

Kaspersky Personal 5 (trial period) is installed on my computer but it didn't recognize that stupid worm. Whyo_O?, because KAV 5 has no auto-update feature after a computer gets online like avast, NOD32 but KAV 5 has a simply scheduled update so you can't get an update immediately after you get online.

What a pity for Kaspersky Anti-virus that considered by knowledgeable IT professional people to be the best and No.1 Anti-virus in the world in term of detection rates.

Now I'm back to avast! home edition that free for home use and I've used it for long time and avast! never let me down it updates almost immediately after I get online. I've considered to buy KAV5 for 5 computers in my home office but now I think I would buy avast! Pro or F-Prot instead of the king of malware killer Kaspersky.

I'm very disappointed.

9. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To No more from Firefighter!

You can adjust KAV 5.0 to update every hour, it's more than you can get with any common av. F-Prot and Avast are updating usually 2 - 4 times per week, so, what's your point?

Even KAV is able to miss something. I have 111 nasties that KAV was unable to detect, but I have also 245 nasties that were unable to detect by the second best av I've used! It's only the difference that counts.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2004
  10. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Hi Firefighter
    Regarding these "nasties" how do you know they are "true nasties"if neither Kav or any other av detects them as such? is there a possibility that the are not "nasties" at all and therefore no product would react to them?

11. halcyon

halcyon Registered Member

Anybody who has been around sees a repeating pattern here.

Kaspersky releases a new version, unstable, huge hog on resources, bugs in it, annoys the hell out of old reliable users.

Then they slowly fix the problems and the product comes stable.

This same pattern happened with Kav 4 -> 4.5 transition as well.

It seems they are great at detecting viruses and trojans, but they can't really engineer software releases properly :)

I was also ready to ditch NOD32 and switch to KAV5, but I think I'll still wait a year at least to see if KAV5 stabilizes...

12. Arin

Arin Registered Member

Firefighter has a good point, if your AV is not releasing updates every hour then instant update search after connection to the Internet is same as KAV's hourly update if not less effective.

13. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Is this not true in all new releases of any antivirus? I have yet to see a piece of software which is without glitches when released? Kav 4.0 wasn't good on this computer too (had to go with Nod32 until 4.5 came), but Kav 5.0 isn't a "hog on resources" on this box. :)

Agreed, on the "It seems they are great at detecting viruses and trojans" :D

Why not see what they come up with in the sep/oct maintenance pack, a year seems a little excessive. :)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2004
  14. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Oh give me a break with the anti-KAV 5.0 garbage; it may have its problems, but not on all systems, and it was an update with a purpose. I've been running KAV 5.0 for months, and it interferes with my normal use of the computer much less than KAV 4.5 did. I could go on much longer about 4.5's problems than anyone can about 5.0's problems.

And the ADSs are used for a reason while KAV 5.0 is installed. And if you remove KAV 5.0 and want to get rid of them, you can--even before Kaspersky releases a utility to do it. Yeah, it's a bit of a pain (booting into Safe Mode and running the Sysinternals Streams.exe utility), but you'll get over it.

Like everything else, you need to run a trial copy, and decide for yourself. Use imaging software such as Image for Windows if you want to run the trial risk-free.

15. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

As several have pointed out KAV 5.0 Pro is not available yet. So your current choices are 4.5 personal, 4.5 Pro or 5.0 personal. There are considerable differences between the 4.5 products and the 5.0 one. 4.5 personal will give you FAR MORE configuration options than the extremely limited ones in 5.0 personal. Plus, with 4.5 personal or pro you will not have ADS tagging nor will you be unable to use System Restore which you cannot use with 5.0 personal. Plus, you will not have severe, rapid fragmentation either which you get with 5.0 personal.

To me there is no choice. Any sensible user that is not a newbie or average user would choose 4.5 personal for now and wait for 5.0 Pro and then use your key to get the extra configurability from 5.0 Pro without the extra stuff that is in the Pro edition. It is not absolutely certain that users will be able to use their 4.5 or 5.0 personal key to access the configurability of 5.0 Pro when it is released but it is thought that will be possible. Lisa has said she will test this as soon as she has a test version of 5.0 Pro on her computer.

You can't download a trial of 4.5 personal from the KAV main site but here is a link to a 30 day trial courtesy of The Mul:

http://kasperskylab.co.uk/files/homeuser/kavpers45.exe

16. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

A lot of the problems that have been experienced since 5 Personal was first released are being ironed out, so by the time the release of 5 Pro comes around it should be a pretty stable product (being based on 5 Personal which will have been out for quite a while).

I'm also hoping for an option in Pro 5 to have the iStream file signatures stored in a central database repository (ie. a single file) so that the speed advantages gained by having iStreams enabled can be had, without the need for all the ADS's which are causing the problems with System Restore and rapid fragmentation.

Firefighter - I think no more's point was that if you haven't updated your signatures for a while (eg. a month because you've been on holiday), then the Virus database might not be updated for an hour (with KAV) and you might be surfing potentially dangerous sites or opening dangerous files in that time period which would leave you vulnerable. If you could set an option in KAV to update as soon as you went on-line, then you would be protected with the latest virus database almost immediately. I'm hoping an option to do this will be added to the Pro version (and maybe the next major release of 5 Peronal)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2004
  17. No more

No more Guest

====> Firefighter - I think no more's point was that if you haven't updated your signatures for a while (eg. a month because you've been on holiday), then the Virus database might not be updated for an hour (with KAV) and you might be surfing potentially dangerous sites or opening dangerous files in that time period which would leave you vulnerable. If you could set an option in KAV to update as soon as you went on-line, then you would be protected with the latest virus database almost immediately. I'm hoping an option to do this will be added to the Pro version (and maybe the next major release of 5 Peronal) <====

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, You really get my point.

What I try to say is that you have to get an updates as soon as you get online because you may get infected by new ITW-mass-mailing worms via first e-mail you receive or new malware that exploit OS vulnerability via browsing first webpages before KAV 5 updates virus databases. I see so many people always check their e-mail suddenly they get online.

If you set up KAV 5 to update every hour it means that if you turn on a computer and get online before 8.00 PM so that KAV 5 will update itself approx 7.59 or 8.01 PM but if you turn on a computer and get online at 7.02 PM this means that KAV 5 will wait until 8.59 or 9.01 PM to update so what about the rest appox 59 minutes? it means that you are in danger if you don't manually update KAV 5 or if you don't do safe computing practise.

No matter if KAV 5 updates very 30 minutes or has a super-extra-exceptional-huge databases and win every tests or has a super unpacking engine that can unpack every packers/crypters in the world but if it fails to protect you first like I said so KAV 5 is useless.

So can I consider a product such as NOD32, avast!, AVG 7 that inferior to KAV 5 in term of detection rates are better or useful than KAV 5 ?

18. Firefighter

Firefighter Registered Member

To No more from Firefighter!

Now I get your point. There are many other proggies that have the similar update system than KAV. After all, it's like driving a car, you have full automatic gearbox or manual, they both works. If you update manually your av at first after you have opened your PC, with KAV 5.0, you are as secure as possible. But, with those av-proggies that updates automaticly 2-4 times per week, you are mostly 2 -3 days behind the latest threats. It's up to you to make your decision which one you want.

Best regards,
    Firefighter!

19. Don Pelotas

That's a very good way to describe this, very "visual". :)

BTW. As i get older, i have noticed that i like automatic gearboxes more and more. :D

20. Don Pelotas

If you check this thread, you will see that your wishes will most likely be implemented in the coming update. Look for Igor Kurzin's answer on page 2. :) Link

21. TAP

TAP Registered Member

To No more

If your main purpose for using an antivirus software is to protect your valuable data and time or to protect your business so in my opinion unless Kaspersky I would simply say that you just can't find a better antivirus solution if what your really needs are serious/strong/robust protection from any possible aggressive malware and the best support IMHO. avast is good but I think it is not come to close to Kaspersky if you want a serious protection.

In my opinion, Kaspersky AntiVirus + safe hex is nearest as possible to the best antimalware solution for home users.

22. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

And what's wrongt with using manual update for KAV 5

it's a simple matter of right click the icon in the sys tray and rselect update now

Even though I have mine set for hourly updates I always manually update every morning when I first turn it on , takes less than 30 seconds if that long, just now was 3 seconds to check , no new updates

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.