Kaspersky or NOD32 for Win98 rootkit detection?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by R2D2, Dec 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R2D2

R2D2 Registered Member

Which of those two may be more effective in Win98 for rootkit protection?
    NOD32 Anti-Stealth Technology looks impressive reading from their website. I'd use it for WinXP but this feature is limited under Win98. So I wonder, would the rootkit protection from KAV 6.0 be more effective for this OS? Or is it also limited under Win98? (I don't want to put XP on my seven year old PC - it's aged and I wouldn't want to stress it :blink: )

2. Londonbeat

Londonbeat Registered Member

The proactive defense in KAV 6 doesn't work in Windows 98, and I don't think nod's anti-stealth does either (someone shout up if I'm wrong). With Windows 98 you're AV is more or less limited to detection of 'known' inactive rootkits by signatures, of which I think Nod and KAV are pretty much the same.

Londonbeat

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

You really should test both NOD32 and Kaspersky and decide for the one that runs faster on that old machine . I don't know how much RAM do you have and but you should also test this because one of them will definitely run even on 32 mb RAM , the other won't :)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.