Kaspersky (Less than CPU Friendly)

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DVD+R, Aug 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Again Kaspersky fail misserably with the Scanning taking up 90% + CPU usage when its doing a full system scan, also the time taken to scan is shockingly slow 45 minutes plus on a 500GB HD regardless of how little you have installed. With the 2012 version there is again the issue with the GUI failing to launch on bootup, and a popup message is presented whether you would like to report this error If its so damn obvious to Kaspersky that this is likely to occur! Then why the F#!! not fix it rather than have the end user send a report.

Edit: Kaspersky Fan Boys, I'm not interested in your faith or love for the product, with comments like it never happens to them ( Of course not :cautious: It never does, does it :shifty: )

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

I'll be watching this thread with interest as I've been eyeing the 2012 release for possible use down the road. But I have to ask what's the word on this in Kaspersky's forum?

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Personally I don't care that much about how much CPU/RAM resources that is in use when scanning, since I don't scan when I do other things on the computer. And the scan will finish faster if you let it use all available resources.

4. The Hammer

The OP was addressing other issues as well though.

5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I just said what I thought about it, and how I do it. Maybe I should :blink:

6. The Hammer

:oops: My sincerest apologies to you. I just thought you missed part of the post that's all.

7. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

For some reason it does not agree on your config. Did you try some other brand to see if it works better? Maybe contact tech support too

8. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

For the CPU issue, perhaps check Settings -> Advanced settings -> Compatibility -> Concede resources to other applications.
    I tried the 2012 version just after it's release, but it was just a bit too heavy for me, and had a few bugs. Trying it again now(12.0.0.374a.b.c.d.e) and it's a lot better on my PC.

9. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

hehehhehehehehhehehehe
    i remember when i used it a year ago

it took about a week to scan 750GB hard drive Full scan
    also it took 50% from the CPU

a WEEK !!!!!!

Dumped it for other security products

anyway it's not that bad if you have a time to kill

10. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Without getting into dozens of reasons, I'll focus on the Main Question I have about this: Why on earth should I have to take time and trouble to adjust/ configure/ reconfigure, and conced any resources at all? Is that a technical response Kaspersky gave you, just because they couldnt be bothered to develope a product that works without having to do all that? Sounds extemely lacksidazical to me, Imagine being told by your Service station, to not be a lead foot, if you questioned the performance of your vehicle :cautious:

11. PhantomPhenix

PhantomPhenix Registered Member

The problem is on your computer. I honestly do not have any problems you describe with KIS2012. My CPU usage dose not go above 10% during a scan (usually 5-7%). It would only take you 5mins.

-http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=915-

12. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i have seen this on many systems not just one. honestly i do not believe its as much his system as it is kis. i am always replacing it with something else as customers tell me similar things about it.

13. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Then I dont understand it o_O I'm far from having a slow system, check specs below:

Gigabyte G1.SNIPER MotherBoard, Intel X58+ICH10R, QPI 6.4GT/s, DDR3 2200, PCI-Ex16, SATA3, USB 3.0, RAID, BigfootKiller LAN.

Intel Core i7-990X EXTREME Core i7 CPU, SIX-CORE 3.46 GHz, 6.4 GT/sec QPI, 12MB Cache, Socket LGA1366

Kingston KHX2000C9AD3T1K2/4GX DDR3 2000Mhz, Non-ECC CL9-9-9, DIMM

2x OCZ SSD 120GB 2.5" SATA3 Vertex 3 Read: 550MB/s Write: 500MB/s NAND Components: 24nm MLC Hard drives Configured in a Raid 0 Array for Optimum Performance

1x Western Digital Caviar Green Power ( 2TB ) 2000GB/SATAIII/3.5"/64MB [ WD20EARX

Asus ATI EAH6970 PCI-E 2.1 2GB 256-bit GDDR5, 890/5500MHz, Dual DVI, HDMI, 2x DP, DX11, Fan

LG RET BH10LS30 BLK BluRay Burner,10xBD-R Read/Write, 16xDVD+-R Read/Write,SATA, Lightscribe,Silent Play

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit English OEM with SP1 (1 Lic Copy ) DVD
    1 Corsair Obsidian 800D Black Full Tower Case with Window, 3x140mm fans, ATX/m ATX/EATX, Aluminum Faceplate, Steel Structure, Dimension 24" (H) x 24" (L) x 9" (W) - (609mm X 609mm X 229 mm) Power Supply ATX

Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H80 High-performance CPU Cooler, 2011/1366/1156/1155/775 and AM3/AM2 compatible

850W "Corsair" HX-850 ATX Power Supply, Single 140mm fan,80Plus Silver certified, Flat Modular Cables, Universal AC input 90~264V, Over Current/Voltage/Power Protection, Under Voltage Protection, 7 Years Warranty

So what your saying is Kaspersky is capeable of slowing this Baby down?:doubt: If thats the case which it appears so, then I'll head elsewhere. I'm somewhat dissapointed but hey!

14. PhantomPhenix

PhantomPhenix Registered Member

Your system is a lot better than mine. KIS2012 uses about 25mb on my system, I/O's are low and CPU usage is very low.

What I am saying is you have an issue, could be kaspersky or your system. Please take the time and help the community and work with kaspersky to solve this issue. Im sure your not the only one who is suffering from this problem and you could do a lot to help solve this by posting on the kaspersky forums. With so many different hardware/software configurations on the market issues like this can happen.

-http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=915-

15. codylucas16

codylucas16 Registered Member

The CPU usage on both my x64 systems with Kaspersky is ridiculous as well. On my x4 AMD system, the startup with kaspersky takes so long that it's just not even worth it. Then trying to game with kaspersky on the system is next to impossible. On my 2x system, it's almost pointless to try anything with kaspersky on it other than basic web browsing

16. lodore

lodore Registered Member

kaspersky has always used alot of resources during scans. the only real solution i found was to do a full scan when i wasnt using the machine. btw i dont currently use KIS2012 but i have tested it. i didnt have the launch problem when i tryed it. I do hope kaspersky sort out the resource usage. for years kaspersky have added more and more functionally without enough quality control. im sure people here will know im a gold beta tester for kaspersky and have tested all versions from 6 onwards.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  17. sm1

sm1 Registered Member

I am using KAV 2012 in my laptop which is way underpowered than DVD+R setup. I haven't seen any slowdown so far. Idle cpu usage hovers between 1% and 7%. I don't run full scans.

@DVD+R Are you sure that there are no remnants of av you had prior to Kaspersky? I hope you tried after you restored your system from a clean (no av) backup.

18. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Not a smidgin, clean install system, no other AV touched it before I installed KIS 2012

19. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Kaspersky aren't still using their customer base as beta testers of a product after its release are they?:-thats what I felt like with kis 2011 and to some extent 2010,its the main reason I have stopped using it after many years and switched to another product,protection was never an issue with kis,or kav(AVP) but bugs in later releases were!

20. vtn54

vtn54 Registered Member

Try disabling all your real-time scan engines especially windows defender if you don't already.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  21. rollers

rollers Registered Member

I am running the MAC version, its so light I don't even know it is there. I did a trial and bought a 2 year licence. I did try several others before this and they slowed down my machine noticeably.
    I guess my point is, that each machine is individual depending as to whats running on it, so trial and error is the key.

22. Dundertaker

Dundertaker Registered Member

Brother posted there for help about the firewall. Still no help and reply there. Even sent a PM to one of the Administators and STILL got no reply. So he ditched it and is now back to Avast IS. He actually shelved his license.

:thumbd: :thumbd: :thumbd:

xttp://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=223984&st=0&gopid=

If that's a sort of forum you'll go to find help and just "that questions" he can't get a decent reply then why help the community at all.

Unselecting "Select actions automatically" gives you a hell of pop-ups and is not advisable if you have kids. They might just answer "yes" so as not to be inconvenienced. And there are issues with that in Process control settings. There's a thread I am reading now and am waiting for Stem to comment more on some tests he was doing. Quite nice topic going on there.

xxxxx://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=313664

23. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

Wait a minute, you've got to be kidding? A week to do a full scan?

Thanks.

24. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i dumped kaspersky a long while back and never since have looked back sorry ti say

25. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

For the OP's complaints there are people that have those issues but I doubt anyone knows what is causing it. It would likely be one of those situations where the only way to get a resolution would be to contact their support directly. There are things that go unanswered on any forum, including this one.

In the end if it won't run correctly on your machine, you find a product that will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.