Kaspersky kept putting a cookie on my computer

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by dcdc, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcdc

dcdc Registered Member

Kaspersky may be a good antivirus application, but I found that it kept placing a cookie on my computer even when I did not actually visit the site recently.

I recently added Webroot's Window Washer (by the same company that makes Spy Sweeper, which I think is excellent), and discovered through its cookie manager that Kaspersky kept placing their cookie on my system even though I had just cleaned it out with Window Washer with the all the other IE junk. There were a couple of other cookies that kept showing up as well, both tool vendors whose sites I had visited in the past.

A little investigation showed that all these sites I had placed in various folders on my IE favorites list. As soon as I clicked on the msn logo on my desktop, the cookies showed up, as I found by going directly to Window Washer. Deleting these sites from the favorites lists stopped their endless parade of cookies. They're not among my favorites now anyway, so see you later. None of the other favorites do this nonsense.

(These cookies could also be blocked by listing specific sites in the IE privacy settings under Internet Options.)

I think this is bullsh*t. It's one thing to have a cookie placed on your machine without your specific permission when you click on a site; who knows what it may be doing, even though it is ostensibly benign. But to place a cookie surreptitiously just because the site is on a favorites lists when you haven't actually visited the site recently to trigger that cookie is to me way over the line. They don't have the right, whether their intentions are benevolent or not.

(Note to Administrator: I tried to place this thread appropriately, but move it to another forum as necessary.)

2. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Block it in your browser.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.