Kaspersky KAV Support Issues

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by richrf, Nov 11, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi everyone,

I thought I would relate to users who are looking to purchase KAV for their system anti-virus needs. I am running KAV 4.5.104 on my system in real-time and it is doing an excellent job. However, during the scan process it consistently gives a false positive which I have relayed to Kaspersky. Kaspersky has never responded to any of my issues either prior to purchase or after purchase. ICE Systegms was very responsive while I was evaluating.

For this reason, I am very glad that I have purchased products from companies such as DiamondCS, BOClean, and TrojanHunter, all of whom have been extremely responsive and dependable. Having backup products is a good idea not only from the preventative point-of-view but also from getting support when you most need it - when something goes wrong.

Rich

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I am sorry to hear of your personal observations of Kaspersky support, but I think it is a little unfair of you to assume this poor response is/will be, the same for all KAV users.

Compared to other AV's I have used, KAV in my opinion gives the best support of all the AV vendors I have used.

In my personal experience, both Kaspersky Swiss and Kaspersky UK give excellent support.

In particular, Lisa Clancy and her colleagues at Kaspersky UK give support above and beyond normal guidelines. I have had a satisfactory response to ALL emails I have sent over 6 years of use of KAV and the false positives I have reported have ALWAYS been corrected. Response times have varied from minutes to at the most, hours, with replies even at the week-end.
    I have licensed versions of several DCS products and BOClean, and I can therefore state that KAV's support can sit quite happily with these products, for both reliability and response times.

So overall I do not think your experience can be used to inform potential KAV users that this AV is not a suitable choice because their support is not up to scratch. Many KAV users would disagree with your generalised statement. KAV, as with most AV's, has its faults but support is generally not listed as one of them.

Together with KAV's overall detection rate, and the frequency of its new virus definitions, support has always been listed as one of KAV's strong selling points. Despite your experience, this, I think, is still the case.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2004
  3. Siro

Siro Registered Member

My father has been using Kaspersky Antivirus Personal Pro 4.5 as well and he has had some false positives too and as BlackCat has mentioned the best support ideally comes from them otherwise my experience with Symantec has been horrific at times and they dont reply back at all.
    I believe give Kaspersky some time to solve ur voes.Good Luck.

4. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

My experience is as Blackcat & Siro, they have always responded to my mails within minutes when sending possible false positives or viruses (usually within 30 minutes) and hours (usually within 2-3 hours) when support questions has been asked, only one time in the 3-4 years i have used Kaspersky has this been exceeded and that response time was stil "only" 23 hours. :)

That to me is very good service and is one of the reasons that i use Kaspersky, this and of course the program itself and the malware detection. ;) :)

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

I have no other experience with KAV support apart from the UK - Reponse has always been within an hour or two and not just an autoresponder but a real person reply.

Pilli

6. Eldar

Eldar Registered Member

I can but confirm that KAV support responds really quick and not through redirecting to a webpage. I like that very much to receive support from a real person. :)

7. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Well, yeah they respond fast but they are dumb. I reported immediately to Kaspersky support when their brand new KAVICHS removal tool fried my video drivers. I was told that was impossible. I wrote back and explained further and gave links both the ICE forum and dslreports security forum where other users were confirming what happened to me and I was told by KAV support again that this was impossible. I wrote again the next day and provided more information and was told again that I was crazy. This was after a senior KAV research engineer posted at dslr and admitted this was possible after numerous reports particularly with nVidia drivers which is what I have. So, I don't think support is well informed. That makes support poor. It is irrelevant if support is fast if support is stupid. Then you might as well have NAV.

8. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

If you read carefully the previous posts, it is clearly stated that we were happy with BOTH the speed and response of KAV support.

Like most commercial products, KAV will not satisfy all of its customers all of the time. But for the great majority of KAV users, support is one of KAV's strengths and not one of its weak points.

9. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi all,

I am only reporting my own personal experiences. I have sent a total of 4 emal messages to KAV and never received an acknowledgement of any of them - either pre-sale or post-sale. If I was in a crunch, I personally will not rely on them. However, my experiences with other vendors has been far better which is one reason I would consider multi-vendor support when deciding which protection software to purchase. Who knows why? I would certainly love to report differently but I cannot.

Rich

10. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

This is entirely at varience with my experiences - are you CERTAIN those emails were sent and received?

I'm an ex-Symantec user, so I know all about genuinely deplorable support!

11. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi TopperID,

In this business, I have learned, everyone's experiences are different. I have no idea whether the email was ever actually received since I never received any answers to any of my email. All I can say is that they were sent back and nothing was bounced back. My messages to ICE Systems were answered within minutes. I think KAV probably has its hands full right now with 5.0 and are not responding as quickly (or at all as in my case) to, what they consider, non-priority. I would consider KAV support approx. equivalent to Symantec - which I just replaced. :)

Rich

12. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

My own experiences are identical to Rich's.

I also purchased from ICE Systems and receive almost immediate responses to e-mails that I send to them. Generally these are the standard types of things a good distributor should be able to handle well - license key issues, basic configuration, etc., and their record is consistently excellent.

I would rate my experience with KAV's direct support as marginal. During the 5.0 WS beta test period I had some specific questions regarding the app. The response time dragged to multiple weeks - that's any response - even simple acknowledgement that an answer might appear. By the way, I was a current licensed user and had registered as a beta tester, I wasn't a random user taking the program out for a casual spin.

I am experiencing a second wave of this experience now. I'm performing initial testing of the commercial release of KAV 5.0 WS. I've encountered a handful of technical issues. My first e-mail was sent Nov. 4, a follow-up was sent Nov 7. Nary a word on either communication. Maybe this is because it's KAV WS and I'm not an IT department, although I do have enough licenses that they could consider me a small business. To tell you the truth, it is a little disappointing.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.