Kaspersky IS 7 a Dreadful Program Choice for Vista

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by DVD+R, Aug 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

The computer users in general will just find a different app to use if one doesn't work for them and not think much about it past a little annoyance. But on computer security forums you will find a different type of paranoia concerning security apps. If one doesn't work, the security forum member will get either really paranoid about it or they get very indignent that that piece of crap security app won't work on my comp. it must be a real piece of junk and I will never use it again. They don't and will not admit that it actually could be their computer or other installed software they have . For those of us that have been around here a while we have seen it quite a few time and have probably had it happen to us as we are all human. But most of us eventually learn to just keep looking till we find something that works for us and then settle down to some trouble free computing. Unless you are the type that just can't keep from trying every new version of every security app. I am afraid therapy might be their only recourse :D Fortunatly I finally saw the light and got off of the install a new security every other day Merry Go Round.

bigc

2. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

I second that completely, I can't get it to work properly either. A lot of Kaspersky lovers have been giving tips about all kinds of configurations in order to get Kav or Kis run properly.
    It sure makes a difference on what pc with what drivers/software. But I have never been able to get Kaspersky running properly and I have had a few pc's!!!!! So, I don't think it's a simple piece of software, recommending to be used by everyone. Detection is no. 1, but if the bugger won't run in order to detect properly, what's the use? Just dump it.
    I personally have never been sorry about using Nod32 or AVG Pro.

3. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Right, well I've read your replys so I'll answer a few :cautious:

1: I installed this Kaspersky Is 7 on a freshly formatted machine, Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit to be exact, and according to the Kaspersky website 64-bit is supported, So I installed it :cautious:

2: The question asked, what other software had I installed ..the Answer is None! so No conflicts possible :cautious:

3: As stated I did indeed disable the startup scan in the Kaspesky Main Settings Window so it was not set to scan at system startup,and every other item relevent to Startup Objects being scanned was unticked by myself, So that Blows that theory out the Window :cautious:

4: After rebooting, and after each consecutive reboot or System Startup, Kaspersky still scanned these Startup objects, I watched the damn thing count each one in the Main GUI Window, Inevitably my hard drive was Active untill this finished, even with Minimal protection and fast scanning chosen it still took a lifetime till my drive became Idle :cautious:

5: Yes the updater is a pain in the ass and a Major contender for delays :cautious:

6: Dont even think my PC cant handle Vista or isnt able to handle Kaspersky, cause I can tell you now it sure as hell can... AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 4600+ 2.4Ghz :cautious: So out goes that Theory

7: As mentioned by Others, Some Pc's like it, some Dont, its not the users fault, its just how things are, but lets face it,Its my Money spent not yours, If it was, you'd be Compaining too :shifty:

8: So having considered everything, I'm quite entitled to Opinionate on it, and I still say its Bloody Awful :cautious:

4. fce

fce Registered Member

i also dumped KIS7 twice but because of its high detection rate that i experienced i keep coming back to Kaspersky.

same with Rollback RX, a lot of user says its not good system restore program but after using it and works great with my machine it's hard to believe others users comment.

anyway, goodluck bro.

5. yeuxbleus

yeuxbleus Registered Member

Whether or not it was troublesome to uninstall is the only part of a person's experience with an AV that I truly care about. You really don't know how well an AV will work on your PC unless you trial it. If I read too many bad experiences with uninstalling any given AV, I will not even trial it. Just my personal take.;)

6. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Yes, but this fails to address the issue at hand when you quoted me. The issue is attacks by certain people (the guilty know who they are) when someone has a valid problem with a specific AV program on their machine. It is a lot different to calm down and find something that works (I have) as opposed to attacking those that are still looking. Yes, of course some of the complaints are invalid and/or irrelevant. But the premise of attacking if someone does not like what someone has to say about product-X is absurd.

7. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

Kaspersky did not work well on my several of my machines-and they are state of the art.

8. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

although KIS6 never ever worked well on amy laptop, quite a few problems infact, ive tried KIS7 on it and it seemed fine.

yes i use vista

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

And I totally agree that there is no excuse for bad mouthing someone just because they say something detrimental about your pet software. And really what I was saying in the paragraph I posted was in a nutshell that if you have a piece of software that isn't working well, get rid of it and find one that does work and stick with it. Because if it is working for you then it is the best you are going to find simply because if you try another it might be one that doesn't work as well. So if you find the one that does work on your machine just stick with it and avoid possibly getting something even worse. There is to much to see and do and enjoy on your computer besides playing lets change the security software again today game.

bigc

10. interstate ron

interstate ron Registered Member

In leiu of the fact this is a security forum I agree with this last sentence. I have seen so many ardent possessed guinea pigs of programs that refuse to give up and move on. There is so much knowledge to be gained with using a computer besides (but not more important than) security.

11. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Hear, hear.

There are just too many people who are content to place the blame squarely on the software when it doesn't work instead of investigating any further. This is usually followed by the traditional visit-security-forum-and-whine syndrome. These people are not trying to seek help to solve a problem, or provide any useful information to any party, and they explicitly say so. They are simply out to vent their frustrations, and woe behold anyone who dares to ruin their fun and deflate their pomp by pointing out this very obvious and simple truth.

12. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I hate bashing software. I've only bashed one of them, that I can remember any way, and after cooling off, felt bad that I did.

I've tried a lot of different AVs and suites. There were things I really liked about some, and things I didn't like about others. Some ran smooth as silk, some caused slowdowns and other problems.

The one AV and or suite that I would really like to try for a few days, but can't, is NAV/NIS. I've tried the 2007 and the 2008 versions, but I can't get past the install. I have even gone as far as formating my hard drive, thinking that starting with a clean slate my do it. It didn't. It's very frustrating. As much as I want to give NAV/NIS a trial run, I've come to the conclusion that there is something about my computer that Norton doesn't like, and visa versa.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, maybe one should step back, have a brew or two, and calm down before starting a thread about what crap some security software is. That's the way I'm trying to go about things. Life's too short to get so pissed off and frustrated over a piece of security software. Just my two cents worth. :)

13. interstate ron

interstate ron Registered Member

Yeah,I wanted KIS on here so bad all I could settle for was Detroit Rock City. I just resigned myself to my free ISP Norton and according to a recent post I'm a target now......Bring em on,I don't care. I've learned and currently learning a lot from all you guys (and gals ).

14. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I see the point of these statements, however, maybe extending myself a little bit of this topic, if you have an old B/W set that works absolutely perfect and you see all of the plasma, HDTVs on the display floor, you will feel that your program (or TV set) is outdated (or vulnerable) because it is "old". The issue with security software is that you keep wondering if there are better alternatives out there. If everyone is using Brand A and you are the sole user of Brand Z, you wonder if your system could be vulnerable. I work on a mainframe, so I control what addressing and routine is running at any given point of the execution. With PCs, there is no control over the O.S. and all of the other programs residing in core memory (not unless I want to dig deep into the code itself).:doubt:

15. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

antivirus programs are like shoes some just fit better than others & what is a perk or feature to one person is a serious issue to another. Whatever works...

16. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

When someone attacks Nod32...
    However, when someone attacks any other a/v...
    Check the polls dude, Nod32 is the "sacred cow (used more than any other a/v) piece of software" here! Furthermore, DVD+R is more than capable of defending himself, and you need to stop these "visit-security-forum-and-ad-hominem-attacks! Relax, duuuuuuude!

17. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Holy Mary :eek: Looks like I started a political debate with this thread, and all the polititians are white rabbits under a gremlin cloke.. No! I should Quote Star Trek..."Transport the Klingons outta here Scotty" :cautious:

18. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

sounds like your just unlucky! :-what with Kaspersky not working for you AND the crap start Man Utd have had to the new season:-are you getting a refund on your season ticket because they also are not performing how you'd like?(lol)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007
  19. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Like to make a bet we win it again? :cautious:

20. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

LOL do like a confident fan,I support em as wel but think Chelsea are going to be a bigger problem than last year,seems like deja-vu from season before last so far!

21. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

So true!

I have a long time been irritated about the fact that when reporting issues they do it in a way that is close to bashing just because their setup doesnt play well with xx software.
    A more apropiate title would have been:

Btw, DCD+R do you have prefetching and indexing enabled in Vista? Those are some wonderful peaces of hard drive grinding services :) (well, at least in my machine)
    Every reboot they grinded my hard drive for more than ten minutes so I turned them off since they didnt didnt do anything else for me. (and fast search wasnt worth it)

When testing software there is one very simple question to ask:

Are there others that have these or similar issues? The answer to that question give some very useful information when trying to find a solution to a problem.

As a example: I have problems with Shadowprotect right now, the images just wont compress. Having followed the SP story for a long time I have noticed that no one else has this problem. The only conclusion I can draw from that is that something (software/driver/hardware) in my computer prevents it from happening, not that SP is poor written software.
    There is no way a developer can predict all the variables out there. That doesnt always mean that they dont want to fix even some obscure problems.

22. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Who ? :blink:

I have indexing switched off, its a security risk :ninja:

23. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Well Steve after going to Old Trafford on a regular basis for 30 yrs or more, I ended up in Australia in '95 The last match I saw was against Arsenal and we kicked their ass 3-0 :D

I'm watching Man Utd vSunderland at the Moment, and after 41 minutes its 0-0 :gack: and I dont recognize this team at all, WTF! is Fergie doing :rolleyes:

Man Utd:
    1 Edwin Van der Sar (G)
    6 Wes Brown (D)
    3 Patrice Evra (D)
    5 Rio Ferdinand (D)
    15 Nemanja Vidic (D)
    8 Oliveira Anderson (M) o_O
    33 Chris Eagles (M) o_O
    4 Owen Hargreaves (M) o_O
    17 Luis Nani (M) o_O
    18 Paul Scholes (M)
    32 Carlos Tevez (S)

24. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

LOL sorry about that DVD+R. I have only recently (after 15 years with a keyboard) learned (?) to not to look at the keyboard while I write, that one slipped my proofreading :D

25. fredra

fredra Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.