Kaspersky Internet Security V6 question

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Salamander, Nov 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Salamander

Salamander Registered Member

I currently am using NOD 32 AV, Outpost Pro 4 firewall, and SpySweeper. While I know Kaspersky AV is good (comparable to NOD 32), I don't know about the rest of the Kaspersky suite. I am considering switching the above softwares to Kaspersky - I know generally it's better to get individual software rather than a suite, but it seems like the suites are getting better. Does anyone out there have experience with these various software combos and suite options?

2. Roger_

Roger_ Registered Member

I gave up on KIS 6 recently.

Right from the start, I did not like its firewall component (Anti-hacker) and always found its rules configuration interface very bizarre and not any practical.
    The combo itself proved to be quite heavy on resources , often with 100% CPU usage hang-ups, even when configured for the minimal acceptable security.
    I mean, it could be a little easier on resources with some advanced features disabled, but then its main purpose as a combo would be missed.

Last, but not least, I started getting troubles with chkdsk and did not see any real explanation from the support at KL.
    You can read further details here:

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showtopic=14995&st=0

As the renewal was approaching (2 weeks ago) and I was extremely disappointed, I decided to try non-combo alternatives that, so far, have been much more satisfactory as a whole!

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

KIS' firewall is very similar to Outpost and its not half bad. teh AV is top notch of course, i havent tried the PDM tho.

overall id say KIS is a good suite and much better than many others.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I wonder if those chkdsk problems were due to RollbackRx rather tahn KIS. I could not figure it out whether it was uninstalled or not?
    It,s rather funny that they advised to disable system restore to solve the problem!

5. Roger_

Roger_ Registered Member

I have never used RollbackFx and have long disabled System Restore (it already would not work since KAV 4.5 anyway).

I never tried Outpost, but KIS AntiHacker is somewhat cheesy... for instance, look at this type of rules it AUTOMATICALLY creates for most non-browsers (like WMP, RealPlayer, Netmeeting, Mail, Office apps and so on) known applications for HTTP use (the example is Thunderbird's one):

Name=Mozilla Thunderbird HTTP Activity
    Enable=1
    Allow=1
    Log=0
    Warning=0
    Protocol=TCP
    Direction=OutboundStream
    RemotePort=80-83, 443, 1080, 3128, 8000, 8080, 8088, 11523

!!!!! :eek:

6. btman

btman Registered Member

I think for a chkdsk fix... i went run : msconfig : boot.ini and checked safeboot. turned on a chkdsk scan... and it worked.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That is not at all a good thing to hear. I have used system restore many times with good results. Why we should disable it to run an AV.

8. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi Salamander

Know where you are coming from. I moved from separate components to suites, by way of NIS, ZASS and finally KIS which I am still using...and which is working exceptionally well for me.

Resource usage is very low compared to other suites (on my PC), the AV is excellent with two hourly updated most of the time, scan times are very fast, especially after the first full scan has been completed. In terms of the 100% CPU usuage mentioned previously...yes, a number of users have experienced this but usually it is because they switch on the Application Integrity component of the Proactive Defense function. The is a known issue with this which is fixed in the very soon to be release Maintenance Pack 1. So I run the currently official release (Build 303) with the AIC switched off.

There is no parental control functionality in the suite but then again I do not need that, and if I did I would prpbably use a dedicated piece of software.

My suggestions to you is that you download a trial version and give it a go.:D

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Back in 2004 I decided to can the symantec and go with ZASS being I was using free ZA any way. I figured that if all the components were in the same app, they would work better together. Initially for the past 2 years my assumption appeared to be right. As soon as I installed ZASS 5.5 back in '04, it took to my computer like a hand in a glove. Beautiful. Now the problem with having a suite is that if part of it starts screwing up, you're stuck with it. As you might know, after ZA sold out, subsequent versions have been problems for some people. Every upgrade is a gamble as to whether you will be OK or deep in trouble. Now when I upgraded to the latest version, the AV wouldn't update definitions right, and neither would the AS, and as I shut down a dialog box would appear for a second saying that a file in ZA didn't shut down or something to that effect. The fix I made was to shut down the AV and install NOD32, and shut down the AS and activate ewido ful time. I already had the e-mail client shut off because I use Mailwasher, and I had the IM client shut off because I don't do instant messaging. So basically I was left with a firewall and a stand alone AV, plus a stand alone AS. Exactly where I was in 2004. The only difference was ZASS was sapping my resources with the ZASS app. I uninstalled ZA and installed COMODO, and my computer came alive. Faster startups and shut downs, and the apps run alot crisper. What I have learned is, stand alone apps are better because if one part screws up, and you want to get something else, you just do it. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.