Kaspersky Internet Secuity 6 chkdsk Error

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Kapiti, Jan 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

I purchased, and installed Kaspersky Internet Security 6 just before Christmas 2006 and had no problems that I was aware of. However, couple of weeks ago I wanted to install a new software programme so ran chkdsk before installation as a precaution. The check paused on the second stage for quite some time before completing. This concerned me so I decided to run chkdsk c: /r using the c: drive properties tool tab, ticking the box “Automatically fix file system errors” and received the following message.

"The disk check could not be performed because the disk check utility needs
    exclusive access to some Windows files on the disk. These files can be
    accessed only by restarting Windows. Do you want to schedule this disk check to occur the next time you restart the computer?
    Clicking yes and then restarting Windows bring up the following message;
    "Disk check has been scheduled
    Disk checking has been cancelled
    Windows has finished checking the disk"

I retried a few more time but always received the same message; it’s as if the computer thinks a key has been pressed to cancel the operation.

I wondered if Kaspersky could be stopping the process somehow so I decided to recover an image made just prior to installing Kaspersky and ran chkdsk c: /r again and everything worked perfectly.
    Okay, I thought, I must have had a bad installation the first time so I reinstalled Kaspersky again, tried chkdsk c: /r, and on boot up I received the same message “disk checking has been cancelled”.

I contacted Kaspersky support team in regards the problem and they suggested a few things like reinstall the programme with only the basic antivirus installed, this didn’t help and after a delay of about a week I’ve just received an email stating “we should solve the issue in the new version” but no indication of when the next version will be released.

I have now restored the TI image file that I made previous to installing Kaspersky because I don’t want the situation to arrive that I need to run chkdsk to repair a faulty hard drive only to find I can’t.
    Just in case you’re wondering, before installing Kaspersky Internet Suite I had deleted Norton SystemWorks using the “Add or Remove” and then run the “Norton Removal Tool” downloaded from Symantec and then ran several registry cleaners to remove any debris that was left.

This leads me to the following question, has anyone else that uses Kaspersky Internet Security 6 experienced this same problem? Doing a search I noticed that some were having the problem with a delay on stage 2 but no one seems to have the identical problem that I have with chkdsk.

John.

2. Mem

Mem Registered Member

I have the slight pause at the second stage but chkdsk /r runs fine. Just did it again to check. When typing the instruction it asks do you want to do it on the restart I typed y and , as expected, got a warning from KIS that the registry was attempting to be accessed for a change. I allowed it, restarted and the checkdisk initiated on the restart. I suspect the KIS support was referring to fixing the pause but you may have a registry rule not allowing a change to be accepted as required by check disk for it to work on the restart.

The startup moving to completion is where you would normally have the option to cancel the checkdisk function - a countdown of about 10 seconds.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2007
  3. projectman

projectman Registered Member

I had a similar problem months ago with boot-time defragmentation. It was determined with the guidance and assistance of Kaspersky tech support that some elements of Kaspersky load very early - even in safe mode they are active. The only recourse was to uninstall KIS, do the defrag and then reload KIS. Hope that helps.

4. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

I suspect that you could be correct in that Kaspersky support was making a reference to fixing the pause on stage 2.
    If there is a registry rule that doesn't allow a change to be accepted, it must have been placed there by Kaspersky because when the programme is uninstalled chkdsk runs as normal.

John.

5. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

Thanks for confirming that there is a problem.

In safe mode I could run chkdsk c: /r while Kaspersky was installed, so it appears we might have a slightly different problem.

John

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have not experienced that problem with KAV on two computers. Accordingly, I wonder if it is the KIS firewall?

In the last two days I have performed both chkdsk and degrag without problems.

Best,
    Jerry

7. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

One of the things Kaspersky support wanted was the installation of only the basic anti virus and nothing else. Therefore, at that stage, the firewall wasn't installed, but the problem still existed.

John.

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, John. I guess that lets out my theory. Hope they get it fixed. There is just no explanation that I know of as to why there is such a difference in different machines. Obviously it is a function of all other applications working, but I do not think anyone can predict what will happen on a particular system.

Jerry

9. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I installed AOL AVS awhile back, but am no longer using it. I did however coincidently have a four to five minute delay before stage two would start, while using it, and still do. Coincidently AVS uses the Kaspersky engine as most of us know. I also read something about KAV causing MFT files to build up or something of that nature, but that it may be more of a Microsoft problem than KAV. I also ran PerfectDisk which told me coincidently that I needed to defrag the MFT Files. I'm not pointing any fingers, but I have yet to use anyone's PC and have a delay at stage two of chkdsk. It does seem like a lot of coincidences though, doesn't it?

10. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

I'm one of the ones with the delay at stage 2 of Chkdsk at 6% finished. Chkdsk hangs. Before I got KAV, this computer was six months old and chkdsk completed with no hesitations or hangs in about 30 minutes. After KAV was installed for four months (NO FULL SCANS EVER RUN WITH KAV and ICheck and ISwift turned off from the beginning), chkdsk was hanging for several minutes at stage 2. Each time I have run chkdsk, it has taken longer to complete. By Nov 4, 2006, chkdsk had gone from one-half hour to complete (before KAV was installed) to ONE HOUR to complete. I uninstalled KAV on Dec 12 and installed the new F-Prot and then ran chkdsk again. It took one hour and 15 minutes to complete and hung at stage two.

Others in the thread at the KAV forum stated that the damage to the computer from using KAV does not disappear once KAV is removed and for some it just gets worse and worse. I haven't been to the KAV forum since mid December so I didn't know Kaspersky has finally admitted there really is a problem. I wonder when they fix it do I have to install KAV again to get KAV to repair the damage done?

11. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i hope they do fix it.
    for me its just a delay in stage 2 for a while havent timed it.
    stage 2 hangs before it starts then in the end it coutinues and finishes fine.
    but it can be annoying.
    lodore

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I had the same issue and it was one of my reasons for dumping it. Fix it? Hell they barely acknowledge it

13. Mem

Mem Registered Member

If the Proactive Defense Module (PDM) is enabled do you get a warning that chkdsk is trying to change a registry key when you answer yes to allowing the restart?

Have you tried to disable the PDM and then do the checkdisk? If checkdisk still doesn't work then the answer is elsewhere.

14. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I have exactly the same problem, it only hangs a bit on stage 2. Now I have a image from FD ISR without KIS on it, and when I run it there is absolutly no problems with chkdsk.

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

but a hand on stage 2 does that really causes any issues?
    i cant remember what stage 2 scans.
    i found this random link
    http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1299186&page=13
    they dont say if they use kaspersky or not thou.
    from avery quick google search there are people reporting chkdisc getting stuck on stage 5 at 0percent
    stage 4 at 0percent.
    none say they use kaspersky.
    so is it a microsoft problem with some programs? and different factors?
    lodore

16. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

No.

Yes.

If the answer is elsewhere why does the checkdisk work okay when Kaspersky is uninstalled?

John

17. Mem

Mem Registered Member

I'm referring to the PDM only, not KIS as a whole. I was attempting to see if we could identify a specific module instead of just a blanket KIS problem. Below is the alert that should popup when selecting yes to restart with checkdisk.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2007
  18. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

Sorry, I misunderstood your previous message.

I intend posting my original message onto the Kaspersky Forums and see if I can gather any further information, however I don't fancy my chances.:)

As it stands now I've uninstalled Kaspersky and gone back to Norton's, never thought I say that. :thumbd:

John.

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

omg a really backwoulds step.
    try something like nod32 or dr web if you dont like kav.
    i dont have any problems with kis6.0 thou.
    lodore

20. Kapiti

Kapiti Registered Member

It's not that I don't like Kaspersky, I just can't take the risk of running the programme:rolleyes:

I've wasted enough money purchasing KIS without spending any more.

John.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.