Kaspersky buys technology from... VirusBuster

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Windfresh, Apr 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Windfresh

Windfresh Registered Member

You all here at Wilders have constantly assert that VirusBuster is a croppy software, but Kaspersky, which I suppose can differ the bad from the good signs a contract with them. Just a cite:
    New VirusBuster cooperations
    http://www.virusbuster.hu/en/company/press/080415_ujpartnerek_en

What will your comments be? But, please, serious comments.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 15, 2008
  2. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Not much experience with the VirusBuster scan engine personally, but then there's always multiple factors that contribute to detection rate. VirusBuster's reputed low detection might be due to its signature database, rather than any major flaws with the scan engine.

What I can see, however, is that PC Tools' product is rapidly catching up with avast! for the detection of (mostly) Asian samples. Considering that Alwil has been in the business since 1988 and PC Tools only had... 2 (?) years since launching their product, this is a very amazing development indeed.

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

well this is definatly not what i was expecting.
    but if KL think its a good investment then i trust there judgement.
    they do know the market very well.

4. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

According to the article this is only for the *nix side not Windows. So for most users here it doesn't really matter, even Linux users(myself included) will not see much benefit as, again per the article, the Linux version is mainly for testing purposes. Seems the real reason was the Freebsd integration for the Hosted email security.
    Cross platform programming is a pain sometimes~

5. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Your source for this assertion? Is there an AV Comparatives/AV-Test Asian equivalent?

6. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

PCTools heavily relies on packer detection while avast! always provides exact signature (or generic one). There are few cases of some malware only cryptors that are detected as such and not as malware but i don't find that wrong in any way.

7. Nike_P

Nike_P Registered Member

one thing i cant figure out is: Virusbuster use DrWeb engine right?
    then how come Kaspersky will buy VirusBuster when they use Drweb engine?
    :eek:

8. solcroft

Own observations. I collect/swap malware as a hobby, and in the process we get to see how each brand of AV is doing. PC Tools has outperformed avast! for the last four days straight, actually, scoring marginally higher. So do take or disregard my words at face value.

avast! has a small, but steadily growing set of packer detections as well. AuCrypt, PolyCrypt and JunkPoly are the few packer detections I see recurringly among my samples.

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

not VirusBuster, i think you mean VirusChaser.

10. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

the source of the news, please?

11. IBK

IBK AV Expert

12. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Thanks IBK :thumb:

13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

AuCrypt, PolyCrypt and JunkPoly...

Correction. These aren't packers, these are cryptors. Major difference...

14. solcroft

Mind explaining?

15. vbust

vbust Registered Member

The VirusBuster Linux engine is a fully matured "product" and the Windows version too - as well, as the firm's other engine versions, supporting all versions of Novell, Linux 64, FreeBSD, Solaris, Open BSD, AIX and all versions of Windows (including Vista and Server 200:cool: as well.

According to article the Kapsersky Lab uses the Linux version for its own test purposes, and the FreeBSD version is integrated into Kaspersky's hosted e-mail security.

Btw(1). I don't know the actual statistics, but about year ago the VB engine supported the second largest number of platforms.

Btw(2) VB mainly has two kind of products:
    - The VB Engine, which can be licenced and integrated into any other security solutions or appliances.
    - The retail product: VirusBuster Antivirus (anti-trojan, anti-spyware etc - briefly anti-malware) for the supported platforms with user inteface for desktops and almost the same for enterprises with its central management console.

16. dan_maran

I think you misunderstood my post, I was reffering to the article not VirusBuster in general :)
    I was trying to inform most who don't like to read that this deal between Kaspersky and VirusBuster is for *Nix products not Windows.

17. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

I'm sure kaspersky has its qualitys, and has a good reason for doing so, unless they are going bankrupt.

18. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

hmmmm, going bankrupt, so buy another engine.... that makes total sense! o_O :p
    ... more like if kaspersky didn't have good reason for doing so, they've got money to burn!

IMO; I dont care... they've made a business decision.... none of my business and it don't make a difference to me, and i bet it isn't going to make a difference to most people here

19. computer geek

I meant, kaspersky has way better detection then virusbuster, and so kaspersky must pay more for their researchers, so therefore, it must cost less for virusbuster. :p

20. Nike_P

Nike_P Registered Member

has anyone contacted the support and asked the kav-support why they buy virusbuster engine?

21. dan_maran

This is covered partly in the statement in post #1 on top of that I doubt they will provide too much information on trade secrets :p

22. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

something doesn't look quite right to me with this........

:shifty:

23. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

no, because theres no point waisting support's time over this... and its none of our business.

24. computer geek

So...... kaspersky detections go..... and virusbuster floods in! Good news for zonealarm customers!

25. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

no, thats incorrect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.